As we have seen there seems to be some activity around building light rail as a feeder to metro(Bannerghatta rd - Hebbal). For some historic reasons The Bangalore Airport Rail Link (BARL) Ltd is actually working on the DPR for it.
Some soil testing was also done for completing the DPR. All indications are that the route will be all elevated LRT!
However there is a very basic question when we are talking of BRT..er..LRT. Why are we talking of again going elevated for LRT? As seen there are very few elevated LRT systems round the world..some obvious reasons are:
- The cost advantages of LRT compared to Monorail gets wiped out as we talk of going elevated
- Elevated LRT adds to the 'ugliness' of our city
- Gives a feeling of being 'out of reach'
So what is needed for going at grade with LRT?
- Relatively wider roads to spare a lane
- Street sections without intersections are most advantageous for going at grade
- But most important is the will from the authorities and public to accept and allow LRT to share the street
Above images are self explanatory..which one would you like for your city?
Also, I would go as far as to suggest to dump the crude BRT(SB-Hebbal) and go LRT for a cleaner smoke free PT option