Skip to Content

Perhaps Obama should try PRAJA

The Obama administration is making efforts to raise the involvement of the average citizen in policymaking. The White House has invited ordinary Americans to contribute ideas on making government more open, and unveiled a new website where raw federal data will be put online for public use.

Valerie Jarrett, a senior advisor to US President Barack Obama, described the Open Government Initiative as an effort to increase the involvement of the average citizen in policymaking.

“On behalf of the President, I would like to invite all of you to join us in our new process for public engagement in policymaking and contribute your expertise and ideas for how we can create a more open government,” she said. “This is a chance to brainstorm ideas, discuss the most promising ones and collaborate with one another on next steps,” she said in a video posted at a blog located on the White House website at White House. “The President believes that effective policy benefits from the best available information in society, and that the expertise from a diverse segment of Americans will strengthen government policies and approaches,” she added.

For the full text, click       here

Even our governments, and many of our MP's (Rajeev Chandrasekhar, for example) have their own blog/ web-sites. But, rarely can they be as effective tools for public involvement as PRAJA can be, I would like to think. I am sure Mr Manivannan will endorse my view, too.

Syedbhai - want to reach across to the White House and make an offer to the President?

Muralidhar Rao

psaram42's picture

Perhaps Yeddi, Manmohan and co should try first

We should perhaps worry about our door step first leave alone US or Obama. We can’t even make our electoral rolls perfect. I believe Karnataka rolls are the worst. By the way Obama has fought his elections successfully on the web if I am correct!  

PSA

Vasanthkumar Mysoremath's picture

I am game for Obama...Baa Guru...

Dear All

If Obama's call can turn a new leaf for establishing good governance in his country and a world new order of peace and brotherhood amongst human beings, we should extend unconditional support for his wonderful initiatives - it is akin to Prajas effort to stop decaying and to bring systemic failures to the minimum.

Certain changes are taking place in the minds of citizens of US of A who were highly business like and had not much of time to look into another human being's face and smile. But after 9/11, the mindset of the average American appears to have changed and it is reported in the media that people are looking into each others' eyes and smiling at them.  This is a welcome change and Obama is the figurehead. 

His aspirations are not unfounded and are welcome gestures -

- if reduction in defense spending for mfg. and escalation of MDWs (Mass Distruction Weapons), nuclear warheads, intercontinental ballistic missiles, etc., is reduced to the minimum and are invested for peaceful purposes,  the money saved can be used for providing better living conditions of the masses in the ghettos of backlanes of New York and Washington DC. 

- The unemployment dole can be increased,

- alternate energy R & D can get a boost,

- US of A can spew less than 25% of CO2 and reduce climate change, global warming and global dimming. 

- Mfg of each weapon system that gobbles up so much of energy can be diverted for comfort zones like health care, infrastructure, basic amenities and facilities of citizens.

- if world peace can be established with the power of US of A with minimal borders related jingoisms, fundamentalisms, extremisms, terrorisms etc., etc., will the world not be a better place to live in?

- US of A has always behaved like a big brother and if Obama is humble enough to come to the door step of citizens, let us welcome his initiatives and give him a helping hand from whichever corner of the world it may be so that we can create a much better peaceful world to live in and for 'posterity'.

- Vasanthkumar Mysoremath 

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum