Skip to Content

NH7 to BIAL - A sea change

I have been traveling on the NH7 to BIAL for the past 1 year and decided to make this post on how my experience has changed since May 2008.  It is also a tribute to the Bangalore Traffic Police's efforts to make the commute a safer one.  We often have nothing but the harshest words for our bureaucrats (and I am no exception), but we need to give them their due when they do a good job and most of us don't do it often. 

I have been using BIAL very very regularly for the past 1 year.  I was in fact on the Singapore Airlines morning flight that landed on May 24,2008.  Over the past 1 year I have seen a sea change in the traffic on this road.  And I suspect we have the BTP to thank for this. 

Back when the airport started in May 2008, the road was an absolute mess.  Mess is a kind word to describe what was happening there.  There were no lights on the road.  No traffic signals even at busy junctions.  People used to drive at speeds close to 140-150 kmph.  In the first 2-3 months alone, 50-60 pedestrians died trying to cross the road.  Lots of other bad accidents.  I had plans to take my car and park it at BIAL if I had a day flight.  My first few taxi rides put paid to any such plan.  I just wanted to get back alive. 

We even had a meeting with Mr.Sood and he promised that things would change (not that the promise was made because we met him).  He said that traffic lights would come up, speed checks would happen, no parking would be enforced.  He has been pretty much true to his word.

Over the last 3-4 months, I just cannot believe that this is the same road.  Cars stop (99% of them) at lights even at 10:30 p.m.  They drive in lanes!!!  Speeding is down (even MERU seems to drive more sedately).  The odd car and bus do go fast.  But I no longer see that mad honking and speeding that was the norm.  Even more miraculous - people no longer instantly press the horn when the light turns green.   Out of 25 or 30 cars waiting - I have heard maybe 1 or 2 pressing their horn lightly.  Sometimes none - correct NOT ONE.

Is everything right.  Cars still dont line up at lights.  Some drive on the road shoulder at the lights and wait.  I don't know if the pelican lights are respected.  And I dont know how well peopel behave at 6:30 p.m.  The lights don't work at 5:30 a.m. and even if they do people tend to give them less respect on the way to the airport.  I don't see the speed cameras anymore.

But it has been a huge improvement.  Hats off to BTP for this.  Goes to show what a committed set of people can do even in Bangalore traffic.  I hope they replicate this slowly on other roads inside the city. 

Srivathsa

kbsyed61's picture

Well done, Mr. Sood and Bangalore Traffic Police!

Yajamanre,

Thanks a lot for posting this very encouraging experience and an welcome change.

Mr. Sood and Co.

You deserve appreciations and gratitude from all of us for ensuring safety on road to the BIAL. I am sure it must be have been extremely difficult  task to be executed. But in the end, everybody is enjoying the benefits. Thank you very much for your efforts and service.

On behalf of PRAJA I would like to extend you and BTP all help to see that traffic enforcement and regulation seen on road to BIAL is slowly extended towards the City CBD. By end of 2009, We would look forward to seeing all roads leading to BAIL exhibits the required traffic discipline. This story should continue.

How True it is........................

A Child Pedestrian struck by a car traveling at:

1. At 30 kms/hr has an 95% chance of survival
  2. At 40 kms/hr has still 60% chance of survival
  3. At 50 kms/hr has only 20 % chance of survial
sanjayv's picture

kudos to BTP

I would actually extend the kudos further.  IMHO, BTP has been much stricter in enforcement and relatively more intelligent design in the areas I normally pass through.  As evidence, 2 people I know got traffic fines recently.

The traffic police has a thankless job of enforcing the rules in poorly designed circumstances and on many defiant citizens.  Thank you Bangalore traffic police for your increased efforts.

sirahattimohanrao's picture

Traffic management

KUDOS TO mR. PRAVEEN SOOD AND TEAM. 

IF OUR BANGALORE MAHANAGR PHALIKE AND PUBLIC COPERATE WITH THE POLICE THEY CAN DO A WONDERFUL JOB. FIRST OF PUBLIC SHOULD BEHAVE AND MAINTAIN DECIPLINE . CORPORATION SHOULD BUILD QUALITY ROADS AND INFRASTRUCTURE . REDUCING SPEED IS NOT THE SOLUTION BUT SAFER ROADS WITHOUT JUNCTIONS AND CROSS ROADS WOULD HELP TO DRIVE SAFELY.  LANE DECIPLINE IS ALSO V IMP.

LETS EXTEND ALL OUR COOPERATION FOR MAKING CBD PROBLEM FREE

IF U CANT FIND HAPPINESS ENROUTE , YOU WILL NEVER FIND AT THE END

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum