Skip to Content

There are no dustbins in my locality...damn!

7am in the morning i just happen to go for a walk and all I end up feeling is that this city which I have fallen in love with over the past 2 years is 1 huge trash can! Depressed at that thought and thinking what we at praja can do about it...it just happens that 1 gentleman throws an empty cigarette box on the road right in front of me.

I gather some courage to go upto him and point out that it would be great if he could pick it up and throw it in a dust bin.
Immediately, he retorts back by saying that there are no absolutely no dustbins around.

Dejected, i walk away....

But i have a few questions in my mind.....

1. Do we have a functioning waste management system at all?
2. Who are the guys from whom we can ask questions?
3. What is it that we can do?

Pranav pointed out that the biggest election issue that came on the top was "Clean Bangalore". Well thats a surprise :D

silkboard's picture

Dustbins?

Reply from BBMP would most likely be - dustbins get stolen fewdays after we put them, so its a losing battle.

Designing street furniture for our country is a challenge because of above reason. Concrete, fixed to the ground bins could be the answer. Or may be metal bins chained or welded to the electricity poles.

Regardless, you only have to go to whatever large dustbins you have in your neighborhood and you will find that dustbins only define the "approximate zone" where the garbage needs to be dumped. The dustbin is like the bulls eye in that zone - those who 'shoot' garbage bags at it, don't get it perfectly right at times :)

Incidentally, an old Praja member from Mysore, Mr Vijendra Rao is about to start a cleanliness campign. He will be posting the details very soon. Will be interesting to track and help him.

psaram42's picture

Dust Bins were got rid of.

There are no dustbins by design. Earlier one was there right in front of my house. It was really bad and ugly. It was never good. I was extremely happy when the BBMP graduated to waste management programme No 1, which is in place now.

However the collection of generated waste is outsourced to private parties. As expected this is the bottleneck. The 3 wheel type yellow vehicles are totally in adequate. Though the yellow vehicle has its loudspeaker on every morning pleading to give the generated waste whenever they are collecting goes unheard etc. and people do end up throwing the garbage any where and every where.

The no 2 programme is awaited. This is to be based not burial but processing the waste scientifically. I am not an expert on this aspect.

PSA

blrpraj's picture

a lame excuse

However valid the reason may be of  there not being a dustbin on the street, isn't that person giving a lame excuse?  Doesn't he have a dustbin (or at least a small plastic cover in) in is house where he can temporarily throw the cigarette packet? 
Now, the reason that there are no dustbins on the street is because that more people like him are the ones running BBMP who will readily give more excuses for why there are no dustbins on the street.
Read the following post of mine which illustrates the excuse based mentality which is responsible for a lot of maladies afflicting us - http://praja.in/pune/discuss/2008/07/traffic-chaos-and-reforms-analysis-and-way-forward#comment-6268  Contrast this with good governance and a reasonably disciplined society can do half way around the world from Bangalore - http://praja.in/discuss/2008/08/out-sight-out-mind#comment-7404 

psaram42's picture

I got the point

Was my comment “Dust Bins were got rid of” a lame excuse Doc? On the other hand the point I wanted to make was we are progressing, though very slowly on the waste management issue. The dust bins were removed and we wanted them to be removed. BBMP brought the system of collecting the garbage from every door step daily. This is a factual statement that I am making.

There is corruption every where I guess, even in the country where you stay at present, because corruption is a state of mind. Ours is a “third world country” a term coined by Jawaharlal Nehru as per Wikipedia. Here in our country things are slow because of corruption. Yes it is a lame excuse to declare so. You are right.

The person who is throwing garbage on the road is doing injustice to other residents. Whenever we see such careless behavior we see that he does not repeat such offence next time. Lot of my time goes on keeping a vigil on my street at all odd times.

Thanks Doc!

PSA

blrsri's picture

people pick up their dogs poo..

while doing their morning walks elsewhere..hence as blrpraj says its just a lame excuse!

BBMP had funds till now and with a little of that and a lot of curruption they were keeping the streets cleen..however the funds are drying out..and so will the cleaning measures soon..

Its high time we practice restraint in throwing garbage anywhere and everywhere..else we will become the dirtiest city soon!

idontspam's picture

Excuse or not...

...we need to beef up our infrastructure. While BBMP is taking care of the solid waste generated by residences and businesses. There has to be trash cans on every street for the knick knacks we soil our street with. cig butts, plastic bags, paper, tickets, confectionary wrappers, ghutka wrappers etc...

Trash can with ashtray

This does not reduce the responsibility to clean the streets or clearing the trash cans.

I remember the indegenious innovation of chaning the tumbler to the water dispenser in public places. We could do the same for the trash cans.

Chained trash can

vvr's picture

Disposal of garbage and construction debris: B'luru vs. Chennai

(Before I say anything on this topic, here are the mandatory disclaimers:
a. My observations below are not based on any scientific data collection and analysis and are purely anecdotal, b. This is not intended to start a KA vs. TN flame war and c. I do not owe any allegiance to Chennai/TN)

I  recently found myself in Chennai for three days with a car at my disposal and lots of time to kill -- perfect recipe for some good old fashioned people-watching ( or to make it sound better -- "embark on an anthropological quest of sorts"). A couple of  things that struck me about the city were: the city (or at least the parts that I visited) is generally cleaner than our fair city and the construction debris was better disposed off. I noticed that they were also in the midst of a massive road median building exercise and so there was a lot of construction activity.

What I observed about their garbage collection is this. They have modern garbage trucks (like the kind they have in the west), the garbage collection squad was better equipped with overalls, gloves, boots etc., their process for door to truck movement of garbage is better planned and executed. Consequently, I did not see too many unsightly heaps that is commonplace here in B'luru. It makes me sad to see our garbage squad shovel the garbage while waist deep in it inside what look like WWII surplus trucks. 

Since coming home I have done some research on how Chennai has been handling solid waste disposal. I also read that according to some survey, Chennai is the "second cleanest city" in the country after Chandigarh (which claim I am not ready to accept  at face value since I am a frequent visitor to Chandigarh). Also, as a part of my research I came across the following clip that you may find enlightening. This is what I had a chance to observe first hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOmi0KNnfj8

The clip is from about a year ago and the crew today seems to have got better at handling the transfer from the streetside carts to the truck. The point to make here is that after door-to-door collection of garbage, it does not get dumped on street corners. Instead it goes into garbage bins on wheels custom-designed  to interface with the garbage trucks. The result is that the garbage heap does not spread across the entire street and the city, rag pickers can't go to work on it (matter of fact, in Chennai they have become stake holders in the whole enterprise getting paid for door-to-door collection) and stray dogs don't get fed and multiply (might not be good thing if you are on the other side of this debate).

Alongside the garbage disposal infrastructure, Chennai has launched a campaign to educate people about the proper disposal of household and other garbage. nteresting to see if it is working better there.

If Chennai can do this, why can't we?

And by the way, Chennai it appears, has also launched a massive road median building exercise like us but I suspect that their medians will look a lot a lot better in the long haul since they are built hollow unlike our medians and they use hollow as a planter for flowering bushes (assuming that they have water to feed the bushes).

vvr's picture

It is painful to see ....

what goes on outside our schools.

I work in Ulsoor and usually take a walk down Cambridge Road after lunch past the Frank Anthony Public School. This is the time that the school lets off and the children empty out onto the street. The mayhem has to be seen to be believed. Undoubtedly hungry, they tear open whatever packaged snack they have either brought from home or buy from the one of the stores on this street and throw the wrapper on the road or the sidewalk. By the time the kids have cleared out, the street is a roaring mess. Now mind you, these are kids from relatively well off homes. The school has produced many captains of industry, great many decorated soldiers/airmen/flyers etc. I carry this ache in my heart every time I see this.

I have thought about lecturing the kids individually or in small groups but something tells me this won't work. I am now thinking of couple of courses of action, a. take it up with school management, and b. campaiging with all the stores in the neighborhood to provide trash cans outside their stores. If I can get this to work at FAPS, I intend taking this to other schools in the area.

Sadly though my instinct tells me the trashing of our city is not entirely due to a lack of trash cans. It is because of our attitude, first that it is OK to trash public land, secondly it is our tolerance of the filth around us. Even in a very high-end office campus where I had my office (RMZ Millenia formerly known as Phillips Innocation Campus in Ulsoor), it was not unusual to see garbage lying around.

Anybody has any other ideas?
idontspam's picture

This is not optional

Anybody has any other ideas?

No cleanliness has to be taught in schools. It is mandatory to teach children to not throw it around and find a trash can to throw it. Should be enforced within school limits. If the schools arent doing it we know where we are going wrong.

But, Oh wait, they cant find a trash can on the streets!!! Now you also need to teach them, in Bangalore, to stuff everything into their pockets till they get home. You can tell the guy smoking in public place (since we can only do that there) to put his cig butt in his pocket after smoking till he gets home.

idontspam's picture

We cant BBMP is not good enough

If Chennai can do this, why can't we?

Chennai if I remember outsourced the entire garbage collection and street cleaning to Onyx (veolia) eons ago. I have seen street cleaning and garbage cleaning happening at 3 and 4AM in the morning, this was almost 7 years ago. Bangalore believes in employing pourarmikas for street cleaning at 10AM doing IR style division of labour. Only dumping is outsourced. Doesnt matter they could strike a deal to employ these porarmikas with the outsourced vendor and get them better conditions if they chose to give bigger chunks of contracts to professional vendors.

There are reasons why our garbage is in a mess. CPI will love this. The work was divided up deliberately to small chunks so the neighbourhood favourites and relatives could get the contracts and tenders need not be called for. Remember the garbage outsourcing problems from a few years back when the BBMP was functioning with councillors etc?

vvr's picture

IDS, do not disagree that trash bins are necessary..

but the problem we are discussing here is bigger than that.

I invite you to come to Richards Park (in Richards Town in the Cantonment area). In my opinion, it is one of the best  small parcel of real estate in all of Bangalore. It is a rectangle-shaped park and there is a bin fin the middle of every side measuring about 100 meters. The most distance one has to walk to throw your garbage is 100 meters and  yet I see trash piling up.
idontspam's picture

Here is the flip side...

...I live in an area where most people know and want to throw into a bin on the streets. But, there are no dustbins in my locality...damn!

Naveen's picture

Cosmopolitan Mess ?

Hi All,

Interesting discussion here about garbage & dustbins (or the absence of them). I just returned from Chennai & I agree with VVR. Many of the areas in Chennai, barring a few isolated ones appear cleaner & better managed than Bangalore.

In India, Mumbai & Bangalore are the only two cosmopolitan cities - & perhaps also the dirtiest cities in the country. Elsewhere, New York is truly the only "international" city in the world - & it is dirty too by western standards !  It's subway system is being referred to as "similar to third world metro systems", etc.

Do we see a similarity here ? Some decades ago (1970s & 80s), Bangalore was much less cosmopolitan & far more cleaner than now. In fact, it was one of the few clean cities in the country then. Mumbai & NewYork have always been dirty - they have always  been "cosmopolitan" !

Perhaps the feeling amongst us is that the city does not "belong" to me or to anyone else, so why should I bother so much about cleanliness ?  What are your thoughts on this angle to the mess around us ?

idontspam's picture

My attitude is...

...provide the bins and then we will talk.

It is like asking driver to follow the speed limit signs then they all have to travel only on the NH to the airport. Tell the school kids to throw garbage in bin then all have to make a trip to Richards park.

Bins and Traffic signs should not be things we spot so rarely that we think it is there by mistake. While educating for an infrastructure that doesnt exist or may never come, is noble and can create knowledge, it will be just that and remain unenforcable.

silkboard's picture

blaming people - similar pattern

Cleanliness or driving behavior, - these discussion have similar patterns. We blame ourselves (people), talk of long term plans like educating kids about these in the school etc.

Talk to BBMP, they will blame people on cleanliness. Talk to Police commissioner, he will blame people for the chaos on roads. But at the end of the day, they are entrusted with taking some initiatives to "induce" the behavioral change. Governance is not merely about keeping things operational in best practical ways.

Long term talk (teach kids in school) is fine. But its again about working on all three Es.

The rote Education alone doesn't really help (come and see examples in the very educated community I live in and I will show you what I mean). Or, just judge yourself honestly as a driver, and you get what I mean.

Kids learn the most from their seniors - at home (parents), and outside (relatives, friends). We are those "seniors". Our behavior gets shaped by the levels of enforcement present in our environment. Today, the kids get one message from the books and school, and another from their parents and seniors. What they do is - swallow the good stuff mentioned in the books as "nice and utopian" stuff and then move on. If we had visible enforcement measures in place for our kids to see that the society has things in place to punish (fines etc) those who don't follow the "good" stuff prescribed in the books, chage will come faster.

A simple analogy. The reason most "educated" kids don't turn into murders or dacoits because they see it being shown as "bad" on TV and papers, and see their parents not do such things. The education they get on these matters (of serious crime) gets re-enforced in the outside world.

"Visible" enforcement, coupled with strong messages on "public media" would be a good short term strategy to fix the cleanliness problem. idontspam, yes, we'd need some backing infrastructure as well (like dustbins).

s_yajaman's picture

BBMP is incompetent

This might sound very harsh, but it appears that BBMP is plain and simple incompetent and indifferent.  They cannot manage garbage, they cannot build half decent roads, they cannot build pavements and maintain them. 

And as Silkboard  said, the usual response is to offer all the constraints and problems that the authorities face.  Our BBMP Commissioner has left pedestrian safety to God e.g.  I guess he must have left cleanliness (as it is next to godliness) to Him as well.

How much money will dustbins cost?  Start with a pilot area and catch one auto with a loud speaker and make him blare the message till people get it. 

Or maybe a round of plague will do the trick.

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

Naveen's picture

A Repeat of Surat, Perhaps !

Hi,

There had been cases of plague in India at Surat, Gujarat around 1995 (if I remember correctly).

Surat municipality had been thoroughly shaken up & today, surat is one of the cleaner cities.

Things are degenerating to very low levels in the city, & BBMP needs a thorough shake-up.

The absence of dustbins should not be used as an excuse by people to dispose their trash anywhere along the streets, as much as BBMP cannot blame theft for the absence of refuse bins in public places. If theft is so much of a concern, they must find ways to erradicate & solve the menace.

Pre-cast concrete bins with a small hinged steel door at the lower end (to facilitate removal of garbage from the bin easily) may be a possible solution. Such bins would be too heavy to steal & are of no use to vandals, but can be moved or relocated by BBMP winch trucks as necessary.

idontspam's picture

Trash can locations

Pre-cast concrete bins with a small hinged steel door at the lower end

Right we can easily come up with a dozen such cost effective steal proof ideas... Post boxes exist in metal on the streetside today? How many are stolen? I think we understimate and do not respect ourselves as people enough.

India post box

You can even bolt the trash can to the floor of the pavement. Good locations for trash can receptacles are places where there are lots of people, such as at busy intersections close to the crosswalks, next to take-out food shops or food vendors, at bus stops, in plazas, outside major building entrances (e.g., offices, department stores, residences) and near other street furniture such as benches or telephones

Street trash can

vvr's picture

IDS, I do not mean to be argumentative....

but  only to get to the root cause of the problem (as they say, you have to use the "5 whys" technique to get the root)

If we are to fishbone chart  (aka Cause and Effect Diagram) the root of this problem, I would think that two major bones (or causes) of the chart would be a. the source of the garbage (why is there garbage?), b. the disposition of the garbage (what is done with the garbage?). There will be other ones, I am sure. Without absolving the authorities of their responsibilities, let us look at the first bone -- why is there garbage? who generates the garbage? etc.

...I live in an area where most people know and want to throw into a bin on the streets. But, there are no dustbins in my locality...damn!

You could only be making this assertion either because you know each one of the people in the area and they have made you a promise that they will throw their trash  only in the bin, or  on inferences drawn on some general and common characteristics of the population of the area (level of education, socio-economic status, level of civic mindedness, a  proclivity or a religious adherence to cleanliness, etc.). I am inclined to think that it is the latter.

I have given you two examples  -- RMZ, Millenia and Richards Park ( neither of which are the underbelly of the city -- and BTW I routinely see used up sugar packets lying around on the floor at the Coffe Day bar in the arrival area of BIAL when there are bins at hand)  where bins are provided and yet random trashing of the public space goes on. What makes you think that it won't happen in your area? -- I am not challenging you, I am asking the question to understand if there is a certain characteristic that exists in your area that predisposes it to be garbage-free (if garbage receptacles were provided).

...provide the bins and then we will talk.

It is like asking driver to follow the speed limit signs then they all have to travel only on the NH to the airport. Tell the school kids to throw garbage in bin then all have to make a trip to Richards park.

I am afraid this is somewhat specious assertion.  School children, adults, invalids, everyone is told in litter-free socities that if you cannot find a trash can, then you have to carry it on yourself. There is a whole system of wilderness areas in N.America that are very much accessible to the public that provide bins only at the trailhead. Once you are on the trail you carry all your trash on you because there is no place to dispose them. Sometimes, this requires the hauling of 3-days worth of trash for upto 8-10 miles. In fact the motto is -- "you pack it in, you pack it out".  That may explain the difference between two very special and pristine areas -- Abbie Falls in Kodagu and the back country trails in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area. The trash at  Abbie Falls is mostly bite-size wrappers (Pan Parag, Chewing Gum etc.) although there is a lot of it. You mean to tell me, one cannot carry half a dozen of these wrappers in ones pocket.? After all you carried it in, why can't you carry it out?

Back to the other bone -- what is done with the garbage? There is plenty of blame to go around -- incompetent BBMP, corrupt contractors, etc. etc. My earlier post comparing Chennai and B'luru was in the spirit of learning from best (ok, may be "just a little better") practices in our own backyard.  We need to attack this as well but where does one start?

psaram42's picture

The Well Known Blame game

3 E's are great to talk about. I feel criminals are born with criminal genes. One odd kid in a family can be a criminal. The worst case is being publisised is that of father raping own daughters. Tantrik also. The important point to remember is at least 50% or more of the voters group has to be honest. It is the same principle for any group to succeed. Example: RWA's, MLA's, MP's and us?

That apart the blame game is there too. The various options to take this ( not the dust bin issue) forward are

• to elect good politicians/councillors and make them accountable.
  • Recall of elected reps
  • Electoral reforms
  • Include RWA 's in the election loop

A great spate of discussions friends!

PSA

asj's picture

A few more steps will do us all good

I live in West London, an area populated by Asians. In our residential development, 95% are educated highly skilled migrants from India.

http://adhiraj.joglekar.googlepages.com/A_few_more_steps_will_do_us_all_good.pdf

I had to put the above poster up in our residential development at entry / exit point and also one at one of the bin bays.

The pictures tell the story of what we Indians are habituated to. The brain is a blank slate when born, up on it is imprinted a programme generated by our experiences as we grow. The programmes we end up with are on avid display in the images on the above link as well as on our roads.

Question is - can we re-programme? Changing the hard disk from 5200 RPM to 7200 RPM (i.e. putting dustbins) and from 1gb (my first PC in 95 was just that) to 250gb (installing as many bins as one can at every nook and corner) is one part of the solution.

Will it suffice? The 70 odd Indian educated middle class families in my residential development have the best possible infrastructure available when it comes to disposing their garbage - but that alone has been worthless.

Has there been  a change since putting up these posters? I had presumed the posters will be pulled down in 48 hours. 3 weeks later, both are still on full display (even weather has been kind to them).

I am delighted to share with Praja that there is a remarkable difference after putting the posters up. I still see the occasional plastic bag lying on the floor (not all dogs can be trained), but on the whole, compliance with the poster has caused reduction in bin bags being left on floors by 90% if not more.

VVR - go ahead (take your few more steps) and lecture the students, get the school authorities involved, show them images of the streets abused by them, the insult and disrespect shown to our Nation...........hopefully like me you will see a change (bins will come when they come, but there is no excuse why kids and adults can't carry their garbage to their bins at home).

ASJ 

idontspam's picture

Good luck

bins will come when they come

No they will not. They havent come in 60 years dont expect them to drop from the sky.

installing as many bins as one can at every nook and corner is one part of the solution

It is the main part in the solution, the part that consumates the education. Your notice was a success because you HAD bins. If there was only one bay and you didnt have the other 2 did you think the people will hoard their garbage in their homes till the lone bay was cleared?

idontspam's picture

Fair deal?

You mean to tell me, one cannot carry half a dozen of these wrappers in ones pocket.?

Where there is a bin there is a way,

Where there are none... its not going to be fun.

We need to attack this as well but where does one start?

You start with education, I will start with clamour for the bins.

psaram42's picture

There are no dust bins here in Bangalore by design

ASJ

So why talk about "The pictures tell the story of what we Indians are habituated to."  Also Indians can learn about putting garbage in the dust bin no big issue, if they are in place. Being an Indian why do you decry about Indians being Indians? Please be advised that there are no dust bins here in Bangalore because

1. BBMP has committed to collect garbage from each residential unit.
  2. It has outsourced the job to private parties
  3. These parties are in collusion with BBMP officials
  4. So there is slackness sometimes in the colection of Garbage
  5. New residents moving in have to be educated not to throw garbage on streets but collect in bags and hand over to the collecting vehicle at specified time.
  6. and so on

I lived in Phonix, US of A  for a month. There I was placing the garbage bin on wheels given to each house hold at the road side at prescribed time. It was coillected by mechanised vans handled by a single driver. There were no dust bins at residential areas. (They were there at parks, for poos of dogs, along with plastic bags) No problem being an Indian. Here in Bangalore we do have teething problems and we are sure by initiatives like Praja and others things will improve. (Remember India is third world country still) But I am not ashamed to be an Indian human being.

Thanks Doc for your concern about us Indians back home.

PSA

kbsyed61's picture

By design we think it is somebody else's responsibility!

psaram42 avare,

As saying goes, the mirror always tells the truth. What ASJ has described in the post is 100% truth. There is nothing denigrating in what he has said being Indians. By nature we as Indians have some inherent habits, one among which is not doing our part in maintaining the cleanliness, if there is no enforcement or force. This is what we see in Cubbon Park, Lalbagh, Cinema Theater etc. After the events is over the litter is all over the place. We are no better elsewhere, be it in UK or USA.

I would like to walk with me on any event organized by Indian community in USA. Be it Independence day celebrations or festivals like Ugadi, Ganesh Chaturthi etc. See for your selves how we behave.

Now lets walk to other public places like parks, Malls in USA, the same crowd would behave differently. Park it in orderly manner, throwing trash in the bins etc. But when we are in our own atmosphere, we are back to square one.  No order in parking, trash is not thrown in bins etc. I can go on. Because of this reason, some of the Indian organizations are black listed in local county authorities in renting the public places for events. Education, enforcement is the only hope to change in our habits.

silkboard's picture

Truth is truth - its for us to see

Ananthram sir, it sounds bad. And it does hurt when NRIs talk like that. But as a race, we have certain bad habits, period (and certain good ones too). The bad habits being talked about here stem from lack of "collective wisdom". We call West to be individual oriented and what not. But we, as a race, are more selfish than most. Only difference being - our unit of self is a bit bigger, its the family. Outside of family as the unit (car, house), most of us don't bother, not because we wish to be bad to others. But its more because we are just not "tuned" (doc ASJ calls it programmed) to be sensitive to others.

That was just a preamble to repeat the point that enforcement is required, because we are talking about mending behavioral ways here. Education alone won't cut it, because our kids spend only 5-6 hours a day in classroms. The other 10 hours when they are aware, they are just seeing and learning those bad habits from us.

PS: Realization is the first step towards making any change. So, there is no ill will in being self-critical.

blrpraj's picture

re:I got the point

@PSA
//Was my comment “Dust Bins were got rid of” a lame excuse Doc?
My comments were not directed at you nor your post. I was responding to the author of this thread and most specifically the comment  "Immediately, he retorts back by saying that there are no absolutely no dustbins around. "  in the first post of this thread. If you got a chance to read one of my posts that I had referred to earlier -  http://praja.in/pune/discuss/2008/07/traffic-chaos-and-reforms-analysis-and-way-forward#comment-6268 that was the same(or similar) reply I got from quite a few people in Delhi airport terminal 1B. 

In my opinion it is completely irrelevant what system is used for garbage collection & disposal ..wether there are dustbins or not, whether there is door to door garbage collection or not. The reason I say this is because I have expereienced both systems - door to door garbage collections (from independent homes in the US as well as common dustbins at apartments in the US), I was in the unusual predicament once in the Seattle area where the garbage bin in my apartment was quite a distance away and I had a lot of garbage and packing material & other waste to get rid of, so I had to haul it in my car (left to myself in Bangalore I probably would have given the excuse that the garbage bin was too far off knowing that I would not have to face any consequences and can get away with it).  What really matters is that all of us (and especially the individual identified in the original post as throwing the cigaretter packet) follows this golden rule - THOU SHALL NOT THROW THY GARBAGE INTO ANYTHING OTHER THAN A GARBAGE RECEPTACLE IN A PUBLIC PLACE. This is the rule I follow in bangalore, collecting banana peels in a paper or plastic bag when in the auto/bus/any pother public place and waiting till I get home or find the next garbage receptacle.  This is taught by parents in western countries and I have seen parents enforcing this on their children in more than one instance.

Naveen's picture

A Hopeless Race Indeed

Hi All,

SB said: " As a race, we have certain bad habits, period (and certain good ones too) ".

I think every race has it's weakness, & unfortunately, the dirty ways of us Indians (& other south asians) have resulted in us becoming the laughing stock for the rest of the world. We certainly are a very dirty people, no doubt. One can also add corruption & lack of respect for law to our list of weaknesses.

Look at London's Southall & New York's Jackson heights - both of which are representations of India abroad that have majority south asian populations. These are probably the dirtiest & most chaotic areas in these two world business capitals. Compare this with chinatown in newyork - an area which has a lot of chinese & is much cleaner than our areas. Even provision of dust bins & rule of law seem to disappear when one steps into these southasian areas.

Provision of dust bins are a must, indeed, as are traffic signs & proper pavements, but they certainly cannot guarantee compliance from every class of residents. Those that are better aware, will certainly respond, but they form only a miniscule minority, & even these might be tempted to break away when it suits them.

Thus, the very, very small minority that will use dustbins & pay heed to traffic signs & use sidewalks only for bonafide pedestrian use do not represent us - they are an "aberration", not conforming to the jungles that we have as cities.

Look at Malaysia & Thailand - what were once the dirty "backwaters" of Asia. In a few decades, they have metamorphosed into proper civil societies out of practically nothing. Even China has begun to transform.

Is it never going to be India's turn to "mutate" to something better ?

psaram42's picture

Solving the problem on hand

Sayed, SB, ASJ and Naveen

The discussion on this thread started basically on placing of dust bins every where handy for people to get rid of their disposables as quickly as possible. It is well known that every municipal organizations main activity revolves around this and several similar issues. The challenge of designing Street furniture according to me is no issue at all. The real issues are about disposal of hazardous items like

1.      plastics

2.      some electronic items

3.      alkaline batteries

4.      and many more I am not able to list immediately

The municipal organizations need to be more concerned about issues of health hazard due pollution of all sorts, ground water pollution to give an example.

About Indians and Indians being a dirty race etc are real issues, I agree. Yes if we are a dirty race why not improve? It took me about six months to readjust to our Indian conditions after my stay in USA for just two months. So I know how you guys must feel when you shuttle between developed and not so developed countries. Especially Naveen!

PSA

idontspam's picture

Recycling around the world

On the subject of garbage disposal this may be of interest

Naveen's picture

The ReCycling Myth

" And at the end of all our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, & know the place for the first time "  -  T S Eliot, Poet

IDS - A thought provoking essay, well written by Per Bylund.

The path to more efficient garbage management & recycling perhaps lies in getting to the very root - developing policies & practices that minimize garbage generation from each of the sources in the first place, be these households, industries, hospitals, factories, or wherever.

The present western practices that first encourage generation of more & more garbage (viz. using disposables wherever possible, attractive & more robust packaging, etc.) & then imposing restrictions for disposal for "saving the environment" actually go against one another.

These practices have now been "exported" everywhere & refuse management has become a nightmare. I think the use of plastics & disposables has already reached unsustainable levels, even in the west.

ssheragu's picture

trash outside schools

ssheragu

vvvr has rightly & very well brought out this problem

his plans (a) and (b) should yield immediate results

it is better if  a lot many of us (from Praja & as Praja) join him in meeting the schools principal and the stores around so that there will be good & immediate results;

I am ready to go the schools & the stores with vvr; volunteers most welcome

many thanks

Srinath Heragu

psaram42's picture

Recycling a myth or reality?

Every thing in the universe is recycled because matter is neither created nor destroyed (under normal circumstances and at present state of our knowledge base). Life in our planet is carbon based, bio degradable and hence readily recyclable. Not long before cotton bags were used for shopping. Now people want to walk in for shopping without the hassle of carrying any bags because of carry bags being provided by the vender. Now the idea of providing recyclable carry bags is floating around. The shops will provide the plastic/cotton carry bags which are reusable.

One cannot have the cake and eat it too. Can you?

PSA

vvr's picture

Thanks, Srinath..

... will call you soon.

My goal today is to talk to the owner of one of the shops on Cambridge Road. I have noticed how the kids make a beeline for his store after school. The owner is a very nice young gentleman who incidentally is an alumnus of the school. I have got to know him and feel that he will be receptive to any ideas on reducing litter in the area. He may also know some of the school administrators and so may be able to help get in to talk to them.

blrpraj's picture

more of the same problem

In the hindu

http://www.hindu.com/2009/03/23/stories/2009032360670400.htm

Following line from the above article especially caught my eye -

“When the Cauvery cinema underpass was constructed, some of the debris was left on the ground and since then people have been dumping garbage here,” says Rajan Balasubramaniam, a doctor residing on Sankey Road.

Looks like people have a natural urge to dump garbage in open space.

Matadahalli Residents's picture

improper waste/garbage management by BBMP- Matadahalli, RT Nagar

Hello BBMP Personnels,

It is our humble request that we are suffering from improper waste/garbage management system by BBMP at main area of 3rd Cross, 4th main, Matadahalli, RT Nagar, Bangalore 32.

Are there any monitoring committe for this waste management implementation scheme in BBMP, before we claim ourselves that Bangalore is Clean City, SWACCHA BENGALURU/ CLEAN CITY and so on…

Can you ask them to visit this location then they can realise it. This issue is there not a day or two, it is there for more than a year, after sending many level of escalation no response.

Mayor Sir,
we have sent more than 10 to 15 emails with photos, complaint letter, shared the news to magazine and politicians also to you and your team including health deapartment.

No reponse and no improvement till today. How long this will continue? Do you have any plan of responding it to this issue in a near feature?

Please respond it. After seeing the following points you may need to change our claims about Bengalooru is a clean city..

1. This garabage dumped location is used by surrounding school children to board their school Van/bus and playing location
2. Within a meter distance, it has Drinking water diversion box on the ground (Have seen many time that Sewage board person, removed the garbage from the top cover before he wants to open it and divert the flow direction.
3. Within 15 meters A clinic located
4. All sides are covered with houses.

Please have a look at this matter seriously and do the immediate action of moving out this point to somewhere else.

With Regards
Matadahalli Residents

Matadahalli Residents's picture

Matadahalli Residents - Improper Garbage Collection

Hello BBMP Personnels,
It is our humble request that we are suffering from improper waste management system by BBMP at main area of 3rd Cross, 4th main, Matadahalli, RT Nagar, Bangalore 32.

Are there any monitoring committe for this waste management implementation scheme in BBMP, before we claim ourselves that Bangalore is Clean City, SWACCHA BENGALURU/ CLEAN CITY and so on...

Can you ask them to visit this location then they can realise it. This issue is there not a day or two, it is there for more than a year, after sending many level of escalation no response.

Mayor Sir,
we have sent more than 10 to 15 emails with photos, complaint letter, shared the news to magazine and also to you and your team including health deapartment.

No reponse and no improvement. How long this will continue?

Please respond it. After seeing the following points you may need to change our claims about clean city..

1. This garabage dumped location is used by surrounding school children to board their school Van/bus and playing location
2. Within a meter distance, it has Drinking water diversion box on the ground (Have seen many time that Sewage board person, removed the garbage from the top cover before he wants to open it and divert the flow direction.
3. Within 15 meters A clinic located
4. All sides are covered with houses.

Please have a look at this matter seriously and do the immediate action of moving out this point to somewhere else.

With Regards
Matadahalli Residents

Vijay Srinivas's picture

Dust bins are necessary

Dust bins are required, atleast to prevent littering. Please note that Littering in European Countries and US are banned in public places with heavy fines, but in India, they are normal routine. And these countries have ample no. of dustbins at regular intervals which are cleaned frequently as well.

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum