Skip to Content

BMTC Big 10 and HOHO service: work in progess?

ಮೇಲೆ
793 users have liked.
BusPublic Transport

BMTC is prepping 140 buses ready for ABIDe's Big 10 proposal in addition to suggesting Volvos be used for the HOHO service. Does this mean that BMTC will remove/reduce current bus services operating on the 'Big 10' ? Although unlikely, this would the first step towards the rezoning principle talked about on praja by narayan82 and kbsyed (here and here).

Full story here: http://www.hindu.com/2009...

transmogrifier

ಪ್ರತಿಕ್ರಿಯೆಗಳು

Arun's picture

Different buses

ಮೇಲೆ
273 users have liked.
I read new buses will be pressed into action; new coaches are also being built I believe
s_yajaman's picture

Routing of HOHO

ಮೇಲೆ
232 users have liked.

"Clock-wise services should be operated via The Oberoy, East Parade Church, Manipal Centre, Army School, BRV Junction, Anil Kumble Circle, Siddaiah Circle, Hudson Circle, Richmond Flyover, Vellara Junction, D’Souza Circle, Trinity Church and Trinity Circle, ABIDe had said. Anti-clock-wise services should run via KSPHC, Hosmat Hospital, Garuda Mall, Mayo Hall, War Memorial, St. Joseph Business College, Cash Pharmacy, Bangalore Club, Woodlands, Mallya Hospital, U.B. City, Jewels D Paragan, KSCA, Minsq Square, KSRP Ground, Parade Ground, Manipal Centre, Dickenson Road, Begum Mahal Circle and Taj Residency, it had suggested. "

Curiously, this goes against the direction of the existing one-ways.  Is this a mistake or are they actually planning to run buses against the one-ways.  Will be very good if they do so as the one-ways have made life quite hard for commuters. 

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

Vasanth's picture

Exactly Srivathsa

ಮೇಲೆ
229 users have liked.

Having buses run against oneways with dedicated bus lanes, which recently Dr.ASJ had shown done in London streets is a good thing. It is also a promoter factor for public transport since the journey time cuts by using Public Transport.

s_yajaman's picture

We see buses as a problem

ಮೇಲೆ
246 users have liked.

For some reason we in Bangalore see buses as a problem that come in the way of "smooth traffic flow".  The mindset of the big bureaucrats has to change to the fact that buses are the solution and cars are the problem.  Buses occupy probably 3 times the road space as a car but effectively transports 50-100 times as many people (people get on and off along the way).  Bangalore roads are still navigable only because 25-30 lakh people still choose/forced to choose buses as their transport. 

Our one-ways are designed for cars and bikes and not for buses and pedestrians.  A bigger post on that soon.

Srivathsa

Arun's picture

Buses should be allowed to

ಮೇಲೆ
250 users have liked.
Buses should be allowed to move in both directions on Richmond/Residency/St Marks and all other roads in the CBD if they are serious about decongesting the CBD.  Many bus stations were moved far far away for people to walk.  

For eg., freeing up from hundred meters on St.Marks road will take off quite a bit of load from Residency Road, Mallya Hospital Road and Museum Road.  Likewise 2-way movement of buses should ensure better bus movements.

Though not related to HOHO, Kempegowda Road too should be available both ways for buses. I have been thinking for a while – why can’t BMTC and KSRTC have exclusive ramps to get in and get out of KBS.  This would also decongest the roads around KBS. Well, this is a wild thought

Agree – buses should be looked at as solutions.  All these one-ways came up without any logic. Traffic police then thought it would be easy for them to handle the junctions if the roads leading in and out have one way movement.  

silkboard's picture

HOHO or Local Shuttles in suburbs

ಮೇಲೆ
226 users have liked.

Certainly HOHO is a good idea, we have discussed Local shuttles here, and have alos talked single lane BRTS like system (thought through in detail by Naveen, look for his presentation).

But, if you ask me, you need HOHO / Local shuttles in suburbs as well, hop on from your house to a nearby biggish bus stand, catch a longer route bus, get off at an entry point to CBD, and hop on to the CBD shuttle. 2 changes are okay as long as bus frequencies are good.

We are essentially talking reforms on the BMTC routing front. Very interested in seeing how this proceeds.

If HOHO gets popular at CBD (in its present form), it is likely to see day time use (office goers of the area going out for lunch etc). I wont park my car at a CBD entry point and switch to HOHO unless there is a heavy congestion tax, or nice parking area cum shuttle bus stop at CBD entry points. There probably is no space for doing such mini TTMCs at CBD entry points. And a CBD congestion surcharge would really be "un-democratic" as the city has to first provide me good alternatives for me to abandon using my car/bike.

Bottomline, need HOHO at both ends of my commute.

s_yajaman's picture

HOHO/Local shuttles

ಮೇಲೆ
237 users have liked.

SB,

BMTC has to think total time and total cost from the POV of a commuter.  With monthly passes available, cost is fixed regardless of number of changes.  So the variable to think of is time.  I think with Narayan's approach of trunk + feeder/HOHO/HAHA will give better frequencies.  (A good analogy is the Jet Airways/any airline's network within India.  They connect the major cities frequently rather than try to connect every city with every other city.  Local hinterland can be served with an ATR).  Once a bus is frequent it will draw passengers.  335E Volvo is a great example.  I have rarely seen it run less than full. 

Let's say we have 10 TTMCs with an average distance of 15 km (1 hr).  Round trip of 2.5 hrs including rest.  To get a frequency of 5 mins we need 30 buses on eaah pair.  We have 45 pairs - 1350 buses.  The rest of the 3000 buses can be put on local shuttles to serve the hinterland much better via feeder routes that run clockwise/anticlockwise on milk runs.  This is a very rough calculation, but it does tell you what is possible.  The inter TTMC buses can be the long trailer buses with 150 capacity or even double deckers (where did they all vanish?).  So every hour we can move 1800 people along each pair of TTMCs.  if there is a 1.5 turnover that makes it about 2700 persons/hr capacity *45 pairs * 2 directions = 2.5 lakh people/hr.  16 hrs = 40,00,000 capacity.  

BMTC can utilize its assets far better.

Srivathsa

s_yajaman's picture

HOpe this takes off

ಮೇಲೆ
247 users have liked.

Anyone used this today? I really hope this takes off in a big way and we see some sanity come back to the CBD.  A bus every 5 mins in each direction will be good.  Am planning to take one of these on Saturday from Richmond Road to the Museum with my boys and then back to Residency Road or take a longer route back to Richmond Road itself.  Air-con bus should not be too bad.

I wish they run the buses along MG Road (Lakeview side) so that people strolling around there don't need to use their vehicles.  Ban parking on that stretch of MG Road as well.  For this to work, they need to organize some parking lots on the periphery of the bus route. 

Can see plenty of opportunities - one very selfish one.  Brigade Millennium 1 &2  + Elita have about 3000 apartments.  Have a service from here as well covering JP Nagar 6th Phase, Kanakapura Road, Gandhi Bazaar, Lalbagh, Jayanagar 4th block and back.  All the big "shopping" areas should be covered e.g Jayanagar 4th block, Gandhi Bazaar, Malleshwaram market side. E.g. one from Srinagar to National College to Lal Bagh to South End and to Gandhi Bazaar and back. 

BMTC should keep this going.  the Vayu Vajras seem to run fuller now.  This will take some time to click, but it will.

Srivathsa

idontspam's picture

Congestion charging can start

ಮೇಲೆ
223 users have liked.
More importantly now is a good time to start work on congestion charging inside the HO HO circle.
s_yajaman's picture

HOHO off to a slow start

ಮೇಲೆ
235 users have liked.
This comment has been moved here.

prkamath's picture

Laughing all the way to the office HOHO HOHO

ಮೇಲೆ
216 users have liked.
This comment has been moved here.
venkateshhari's picture

BIG 10

ಮೇಲೆ
228 users have liked.
Can anyone tell me where can I find the timing and routing details of BIG 10 Services.

Thanks.
Vasanth's picture

www.btis.in and www.bmtcinfo.com

ಮೇಲೆ
234 users have liked.

It can be found on www.btis.in and www.bmtcinfo.com

BIG-10 bus information

ಮೇಲೆ
221 users have liked.
The timing details of BIG-10 buses are not present in www.bits.in and www.bmtcinfo.com.
The bmtc site is not even updated with regard to the BIG-10 service.
This info needs to be added at the earliest, if authorities want people to use these services aggressively.

sanchitnis's picture

HOHO and chicago loop

ಮೇಲೆ
245 users have liked.

In Chicago, the train lines form a loop in the downtown area. See http://www.rususa.com/city/trainmap.asp-region-chicago .

If Big 10 routes form such a loop around CBD, effectively not only we will not need HOHO schedules, they will reduce need for transiting for suburb to suburb travellers.

The Loop can cover the transit points which cross over different routes so that we can go from any big 10 road to any other big 10 road with just one change of bus.

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | blog