Skip to Content

Metro work on MG Road today

Had a chance to use the bus today to office..the bus went through  MG road for a distance..havent been on this road for about 3 years now! The superstructure is slowly getting into place..here are two photos..

The pillars look huge compared to the Mysore road flyover that l&T built..dunno if its more load than a four lane road..

However the above picture is being taken in front of prestige meridian, looking towards trinity circle..

The above picture is a view towards mayo hall..the mid section still needs to be raised here..

The other side, CMH road/100 Ft rd indranagar and OMR..its just pillars..looks like we are looking at 2011 for first phase!

mandayamr's picture

How much road space will be lost after the construction?

Interesting... Are two buses able to drive alongside each other now on MG Road?  Those who drive through this road regulary will know whether the limited width has meant better lane discipline.

The road between Residency Road-Richmond Road junction, and the Double Road (K H Road)-Mission Road junction is just about 1.5 bus width, that is two buses cannot travel next to each other on that road.  They used to be a mini garden below (not sure of it's state now).  Advertising displays were added later. 

From what I can recollect from a short trip to Singapore, the distance between pillars for a flyover and the road was about 2-3 feet.  They had a mini garden in place, and adverts too. 

My guess is that currently the distance from the base of the pillars to the Metro boards on the side is between 9-12 feet.

So, how much is a safe distance?  I suppose that from a safety perspective, you do not want buses or any other large vehicle to have an accident and hit a pillar.  How much will BBMP finally keep?  What has Delhi Metro done?  I hope that there are some standards to decide this.

s_yajaman's picture

Thanks for the update

Srinidhi,

Thanks for those pictures.  Looks like MG Road is going to get done in the next 3-4 months.  Never thought I would see that day.

If BMRCL can plant some greenery below the tracks, it will be quite nice.  The view from the train itself will probably be quiet good.

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

srinidhi's picture

likely to eat up 3 mts of road space..

..but that should still leave space for two lanes(bus/car) on each side of the road.

I had keenly observed L&T do the mysore road flyover more than 10 years ago..and I would still call that a benchmark job..compared to that this looks shoddy! 

Think BMRCL will leave the greenary part to BBMP..since they are more interested in the moolah than expenses..

Will never forget them saying 'mara beku andhre kaadige hoogi mane madikolli'!

s_yajaman's picture

3mts seems in the ballpark

Judging from the picture the dia of the base of the pillar is 1.8-2 m.  Add 0.5 m on either side and 3 m (10 ft) seems close enough.

Assuming that MG Road is a 40 ft wide road that would still leave 2 lanes of 7.5 ft each on each side.  More than enough.  In fact the left lane should be 9 ft and the right lane 6 ft. 

BTP wants crash board on the pillars to avoid any motorist  hitting them.  They want this done before the barricades are removed.

From bangalorebuzz.blogspot.com

“We have insisted that crash boards be installed on these stretches before the barricades are removed so motorists are not put to risk,” said additional commissioner of police (traffic) Praveen Sood, adding that BMRCL officials had agreed to set up the crash boards.

The ACP said the barricades will be removed from Trinity Junction to Webb’s Junction and between Old Madras Road and CMH.

BMRCL claims that they want to put greenery below.  Did they actually make the "kadu" comment?  Unbelievable!!  They obviously have not walked along Nanda Road at 2:00 p.m. in April.

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

sirahattimohanrao's picture

ITS NICE TO SEE THE WORK

ITS NICE TO SEE THE WORK IS PROGRESSING . I DO TRAVEL ON THIS ROAD VERY REQUENTLY.  I WOULD SUGGEST THAT THE CONTRACTORS SPEED UP WORK HERE SO THAT THE TRAFFICE JAM COULD BE ELIMINATED SOON. I FIND VERY FEW PEOPLE WORKING THERE.  ANY V HAVE UNDERGO SUFEERING NOW FOR FUTURE COMFORTS. HOPE AND WISH THAT THE WORK WILL BECOMPLETE ON TIME. I REQUEST THE PUBLIC AND ALL THE ORGANISATIONS TO COOPERATE AND AVOID CREATING UNNECESARY HURDLES AND OLITICISE SMALL THINGS.

IF U CANT FIND HAPPINESS ENROUTE , YOU WILL NEVER FIND AT THE END

IF U CANT FIND HAPPINESS ENROUTE , YOU WILL NEVER FIND AT THE END

Vasanthkumar Mysoremath's picture

Found my 1964 favorite bench in the graveyard of Dev.on MG Rd

Dear Mohan Rao / All,

For those oldies like me MG Rd. Brigades were headquarters on all evenings. After finishing office, we used to head towards our favorite MG/Brigades - favorite joints - Coffee House, Koshy's at the end of Brigades, leisurely walk on the Bund, sit on our favorite bench opp: the present Barton Court/Spencers, discuss like what Prajas are doing now,  then enter one of the numerous bars, have a swig of two pitchers, walk down to Opera Theatre/Shivaji Nagar, catch a bus and get back home. 

Cut to today:  As Manohar Rao has commented, I tried I tried to find happiness enroute and the other day, I found my favorite bench burried in the graveyard of development on MG Rd.  It made me feel sad, I stood very near to it, bowed my head and allowed my eyes to become wet.  

I think I am a fool, forgive me Prajas. Let the show go on.  

-Vasanth Mysoremath 

idontspam's picture

Show will go on

Let the show go on.

It has to. Is there an alternate vision for humanity that you would like to propound? I want to see how I like it.

I have followed a similar routine to yours during college. I miss the cacophony of gazillion sparrows in the trees of malleshwaram railway station. I miss sitting on those benches on MG road trying to wear off the high from the watery beer before we head back home in a cycle. We want time and world to stay still but it will not.

What are we missing? Force of habit or quality of life? What we can do is steer progress in a direction that provides quality of life in a fast moving world. And what direction is that? May be this piece will help prioritise efforts on the way forward.

§§§ Tweetenator

Vasanthkumar Mysoremath's picture

Change is the essence of life...

IDS Sir

I expected this kind of comment. That is why I added the last sentence of being rather foolish. 

'ollada gandanige mosaralloo kallu' (rough transliteration: a husband who does not like his wife manages to find a stone in a cup of curds also)

Do I have the right to project an alternate vision? 

- If it is a blessed Yes, please consider this...

Leave the old city/cantonment area alone - do not cram saturated CBDs with more and more of 'spiced up quality of life' - carry on merrily with the so called development strategies about 30 kms. from Kempegowda Statue-Corporation office.... I can go on and on... but beggars are not choosers since we the oldies have become minorities...

If somebody finds these monstrous concrete pillars as beautiful, then they have a very high sense of appreciating nature and its beauties. 

- Let the show go on till....you cannot 'develop' any more.. By that time it may be too late.  

-Vasanth Mysoremath 

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum