Skip to Content

BIAL to open on May 23 night

http://aviation.deveshaga...

The opening date for the new Bengaluru International Airport of BIAL is scheduled to open on May 23 night, May 24th morning.

I visited BIA today for an on-site assessment. This blog entry is a very accurate and honest assessment of BIAL. http://sniperz11.blogspot....

For sure, it is an improvement over HAL, but then even I could build a better terminal that HAL. Having seen over 50 airports globally, from the great to the downright ugly, for those who consider the BIAL airport "world class" I have only one word "PUH-LEASE"

I have done a very rough comparison of terminal capacity. It shows how woefully short BIAL is, even when compared to RGIA airport in Hyderabad.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

AttachmentSize
BIA comparison to other airports.pdf 64.45 KB
s_yajaman's picture

Army people have transferable jobs

This comment has been moved here.

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

bangalore-guy's picture

traffic not smooth even beyond the hebbal flyover.

People seem to be thinking that the ride to the new airport will be smooth once they reach the hebbal flyover, but that is not quite the case. There couple of major bottlenecks even after the hebbal flyover.

1) Kodigehalli Gate Junction: This is a major bottle neck. Even during non-peak hours it can take a couple of minutes to cross this junction. Due to the flow of traffic from all four directions the wait time are high. Once the BIAL opens and the traffic inflow increases peak time wait can go up significantly. The problem is getting compounded because of the intermediate signals on bellary road getting transformed to signal free junctions, after the installation of the magic boxes, the trafficflow has become more and frequent. The other signals used to act as buffers earlier.

2) Yelahanka turn: This is another point where wait times will be high. Unless a solution is thought of soon. 

nijavaada's picture

off this thread

This comment has been moved here.
-Nijavaada
Photoyogi's picture

Road works beyond Hebbal

The Road Beyond Hebbal belongs to National Highways. I have been told that they have now started the tendering process for a flyover at the Kodigehalli Gate Junction. -- source from one of the BBMP Engineers.

I am not aware of the situation at Yelahanka Turn (Tile factory junction)
If any one is tracking the progress on this projects it will be worth while discussing what surprises are in store for us.

-- Praveen Sundaram AkA PhotoYogi

-- PhotoYogi

Devesh's picture

NHAI's grand plans for NH-7

In the state High Level Task Force on connectivity (now defunct), the NHAI thwarted many proposals to smooth the traffic.

They have some grandiose plans for NH-7 that makes me shudder. They want to construct multiple flyovers, over the critical junctions. That is going to make things bad enough. To put the cherry on the cake, they want to "double-deck" the NH-7 from Hebbal to Trumpet ala Hosur Road.

At least in case of BETL, there is private company participation which forces things along, and that has been going for 3 years ?

Imagine the mess on NH-7.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
narayan82's picture

drive to bial

I drobe to BIAL 3-4 days back. And After hebbal there are atleast 3-4 Signals (Sahakara Nagar, Jakkur/YEL bypass and when the NH4 meets the yel bypass after jakkur too. So its quite far from a non stop drive. Thankfully it is ten lane with service roads, and this might be an advantage if they plan to construct thier flyover. We've put ourselves in a fix, we have only ONE road to the airport. Creating another one (expressway) is off the charts for now. And now we have no option but to look at the road ahead (excuse the pun) and build on it! I remember Mr.Baligar's excuse at TOI Unlock Bangalore - he said that the reason why they were having problem coping with traffic was because no one predicted the jump from 5 to 11 million passengers! Excuse me, but didnt you know there was 50 million pax airport being buit there? Are you going to build the roads in phases of 10 million?
Narayan Gopalan
User Interaction Designer
Bangalore
vivek_shankar153's picture

BIAL airport - expectations

Hi,

As we all know the BIAL airport will be opened on May 23 this month.

some expectations :-

1. All the signboards in the airport must have Kannada on them since the airport is in Karnataka and most of the customers will be Kannadigas.

2. Lot of jobs will be created due to the new airport and the first preference should be given to the Kannadigas. in fact many farmers have given up land for the airport and hence they must be compensated by giving jobs to them also.

3. All staff must know Kannada. announcements in the flights must be made in Kannada.

4. Finally the renaming of airport should be done to Kempegowda the founder of the great city Bengaluru.

blrsri's picture

NHAI flyover

There are grand plans of a elevated highway road that will be taken up by NHAI from Hebbal to Yelahanka! So it still should be a smooth ride..and we will not need a seperate expressway..

I still dont know the need for this road..its a waste..all thats needed is efficient management of the exisitng roads and providing proper exit and entry ramps to the major junctions and fence the entire stretch so that cattle and dogs dont fall vicitms of fast vehicles or even the otherway around!

We always see costly solutions to simple problems!!

admin's picture

Off topic comments

All the comments discussing Hindi as the de-facto language of armed forces have been (painstakingly) moved to this thread.

Please refrain from making off topic comments on threads.

If there is a something you strongly feel about that is not directly related to the current discussion, PLEASE open a new thread in the forums.

-Admin

narayan82's picture

Vivek - w.r.t Kannada

Yes, Kannada is our language and we must respect it and be proud of it. But lets not go over board.

1. All the signboards in the airport must have Kannada on them since the airport is in Karnataka and most of the customers will be Kannadigas.

This is a statuary requirement, and it has been implemented.

2.All staff must know Kannada. announcements in the flights must be made in Kannada.

Please note most of the staff you see at the airport are either working with the concessionaires, airlines or duty/retails/beverage companies. You cannot expect all of them to speak Kannanda! The employees are like the employees of a IT company or any other private entitiy - people have the right to speak the language they want, and they also have the right to learn the languages they want! It's not fair to force them to speak a language.

Lastly, airport announcements are a Nuisance! I really enjoyed London Luton Airport -it was a "silen" airport, which means no announcements only display screens that kept egtting updated. It was very good! And very peacful and people paid attention!

Also I dont know any passengers who seem to have a problem understanding English during the announcements. So why add more when not required. At the same time, there are ground staff who are willing to help out with those who dont understand English - every airline, even BA and AF have them!

Narayan Gopalan
User Interaction Designer
Bangalore
User1's picture

Useless information ..

Dear friend

At present the focus should be on getting smooth connectivity rather than on your political aspects of language and name change ..

Grow up man ... face the reality that English is the common communicating language in the world and Hindi is in India ... are you not Indian ???

Regarding Name change ... Now you want to spend crores and crores of our tax money on some selfish interests ... open up and try to accpet the fact that bangalore in a global destination now ... people like are always trying to trap it with name changes and language restriction and all that nonsense.

If you are very much interested then name your house as kempagowda and better take English learning lessons.

Chill out.

Devesh's picture

Costly solutions to simple problems - The Bureaucratic Method

"We always see costly solutions to simple problems!!"

It is becuase bureaucratic tenures are so short, that their performance is measured by how much they have spent, rather than what is achieved on the ground.

Achievement takes a lot longer, unfortunately for us.

For efficient bureaucracy, we should look to New Zealand, where bureaucrats actually have to bid projects with measures of achievements, for getting budgets sanctioned, and then their peformance is measured by their own bids.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

BIAL - Kannada

Signboards on roads leading to/from the airport in Kannada/English may be Hindi (if there is space), absolutely agree, but add graphical signs as well. Most persons driving to the airport will read one of the 2/3 languages, and the graphical is fastest to interpret.

Announcements ..... oh puh-lease. If you read my visit report of the BIA terminal, this is one thing I highlighted. No announcements. Give us some peace and quiet.

Forcing Kannada down the throat of every person working at BIAL, again oh puh-lease. People will figure out their own way to work. Who are we outsiders to tell people how to work. As a UDF paying passenger, I want the airport to work.

As much as I respect Kempegowda, and prefer Bengalooru to Bangalore, I feel BIA sounds much better than KIA, which incidentally is Armed Forces acronym for "Killed In Action". Something, I do not want to achieve at BIA. :)

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

Srivathsa - First hand report

I will be landing on May 24 into BIAL.  Will give you a first hand account of how things are.  I plan to take a BMTC bus back to town.

As of now, my father is also due in on 25th early morning. So a first hand account will be helpful.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

HAL Airport - Avoid Travel this week

Just a word of caution to the Praja.

This week, all airlines will commence their shifts on Tue May 20th in earnest. I would advise to avoid travel this week if possible.

Travel is going to be quite chaotic this week. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
admin's picture

Closed for comments

Comments have wandered off in all directions and we have deviated from our norms of informativ, fact based or constructive discussions. Please open separate threads if you want to start meaningful discussions on these subjects. This thread is now closed for comments.

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum