Skip to Content

BIA launch delayed yet again - May 29 ?

The Aviation Ministry has "requested" that the launch of BIA be delayed, most likely to May 29th.

See: PTI, IBN Live

This meeting highlights the triumph of politics over the need of the people. The new airport is a much required piece of infrastructure. The delay is being done for one reason alone. The connectivity to the new airport, a government responsibility, is not fully complete. The current elections cannot put us Bangaloreans to inconvenience, and highlight the failures of connectivity.

Immediately after the state elections, the ruling coalition is planning for new elections next year, and they would like maximum publicity and hoopla to highlight their "achievement".

On the positive side.....quoting the PTI news report, "We have given them (BIAL) various options including allowing aircraft less than 80-seaters to operate out of the existing airport," Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel told reporters here.

I sincerely hope that BIAL looks at the offer positively.
--------------------------

Devesh Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshaga...

kbsyed61's picture

BIAL start date hijacked

The start date for BIAL has once again been postponed. This time no definite date has been anounced.

http://www.deccanherald.c...

It has been my position that all this drama of UDF, HAL airport shouldn't be closed, airport capacity etc. are all smoke screens. The real motive is different. Otherwise, how could they allow Begumpet airport to be shutdown, while the HAl airport becomes bone of contention?

First it was the drama of unpreparedness from AAI, now the High Court Ruling becomes the political tool for settling scores. Remember irrespective of who wins whether it is PIL petitioners like "City Connect" or BIAL, loss would be Bangalore's.

Just wait for the details under RTI Act about AAI's role in BIAL and RGIA airports.

tsubba's picture

not again!

that is not an option at all. the problem also is blr has to deal with the fall out of yet another delay. when will bellary road get up going? i hope they dont keep working on it till 12:00 may 28.
kbsyed61's picture

Is BIAL alone responsible for this?

Mr. Devesh,

It seems we are being railroad into believing that BIAL is the culprit here.

1. AAI (13 % share holders and ATC operators) starts taking charge only in March. That's not their fault?

2. Roads to airport are not ready. 3 years of time is too short for a distance of 40 Kms? Government is not at fault?

3. PIL gets filed and it takes it own time and course. Fault BIAL?

4. Last but not the least, Civil Aviation Minsitry can not be faulted?

People of Bangalore are looking for one answer. Is BIAL ready for operations OR not? if not then what is that needs to be completed and who is responsible for this?

Shouldn't this be the real case for a "Public Interest Litigation" application? I am sure the outcome of such PILs would not fill the coffers of those who takes decisions and businesses. Because ordinary citizens would benefit from secondary benefits of road improvements. They would have the chance to improve economically which would cut into the bottom lines of powerfuls. Isn't it?

Regards,

Syed

narayan82's picture

cant be connectivity

Connectivity cannot be a reason for the delay. Even if they do push it till the end of weekend, not even 50% of the work on bellary road will be completed. I have watched the pace for work, and trust me its like snails working at a snail's pace! I am really looking forward to a response from AAI under the RTI act (with the letter posted on Praja that a memeber filed), and I belive that this will answer a lot of questions. It is a shame to see such projects bearing the brunt of shabby goverment politics. Opening the airport on May 11th would have really enhanced our stand against politics, but we have fallen for it again. I hope the government i sgiven a rap on its knuckles for its laziness, apathy and lethargic approach to connectivity. A few PILs against them might encourage them to get moving...
Narayan Gopalan
User Interaction Designer
Bangalore
tsubba's picture

connectivity

folks regarding connectivity, right now they have diverted a whole lot of vehicles including buses from bellary road. how are these diversions working? can they make some of these permanent? the way i see it, bellary road will need all the help it can get. i hope they are using this down time to sort out the left lane, right , median lane issue of between metro, barl and nhai.
kbsyed61's picture

RTI Application !

Dear Narayan,

My brother has filed the RTI application. You all will laugh at how the AAI rejected the application twice.

1. First time it was rejected because the Postal Order did not had as "Accounts Officer, AAI" on it.

2. Second time, it was rejected because the application had an earlier date .

Finally at 3rd attempt, a new set of applications along with new Postal orders was submitted and the receipt for which has been received only on this Saturday. So a total of 6 weeks were lost in this rejection and re-submission efforts. With fingers crossed, I am looking forward to the responses from AAI.

AAI websites lists phone numbers which are either not working, or if they are working no body picks up. Even if somebody picks up, words like RTI act etc are seems like alien words. Basically the lower staff who supports RTI officers in AAI doesn't have any clue what this RTI is all about. May be this is a world class professionalism.

Unfortunately, for many of us such AAI behavior is not at all an issue. They can not be faulted for this.

Regards,

Syed

narayan82's picture

I hope your effort does not

I hope your effort does not go in Vain - and I hope it reveals the truth behind the curtain! w.r.t Bellary road - busses and heavy vehicles are not allowed between Guttahalli Junction and High Grounds Police station. Work on BDA pass is nearing completion, though the end doesnt seem near. The road widening between BDA junction to High grounds is progressing in some way, in bits and peices. They laid a new quote of tar, and now have covered in with mud dug up from the pavement alongside! A small underpass (magic box) as narrow as Anandnaga Magic Box is being installed at Le-meridian junction - to facilitate a right turn for vehicles coming from mekhri circle towards kumara park road - how this will work has not been revealed! I will make a trip thier and make a small pictorial report tommorrow.
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
santsub's picture

BIAL Delay - This happens only In Bangalore

Looks like everyone is lobbying now. Why only Bangalore? If connectivity is still the issue why did they allow Hyd to start? Damn - Central Govt always has a stepmotherly attitude towards Bangalore... and thanks to our own great thinkers who try to put a needle in their eye. It looks like BIA will not see the light even at the end of this year.

navshot's picture

Reason for delay?

Guys, as some of you've rightly pointed out, the reasons cannot be connectivity or such things. If you ask me personally, the date of commencement would be aligned with the results of assmbly polls - either just before or just after the results (depending on what certain parties feel about the outcome).

-- navshot
Rakesh KR's picture

It is unfortunate that BIAL

It is unfortunate that BIAL inaugaration is postponed again to May 29th. I sincerely wish it doesnot get delayed again, be it any factor. BIAL promoters should not be made to loose revenue any further by delaying operation of the airport they built.

Whereas the good point is that HAL airport has got life back and BIAL is soon to get back with the options suggested by Ministry of civil aviation. Public is relieved that HAL airport will not be closed and can use it as they are doing now.

I wish the agreement is modified with HAL airport handling low cost carriers irrespective of aircraft sizes but limited to number of passengers per annum( say 2 or 3 million) and remaining passengers (10 million) at BIAL. Also a new consortium may be thought of for HAL airport comprising HAL and BIAL with appropriate stakes so that BIAL also earns a share of revenue from the commercial operations at HAL.

Rakesh.

Rakesh.
narayan82's picture

back to the begining!

An extract frm today's TOI, "Why do people living in Yelahanka, have to travel all the way to HAL aiport to catch a 1/2 an hour flight."

Isn't this taking the whol argument back to start. In the previous discussions many suggested that we take Turbo Props back to HAL. Maybe BIAL will agree, as ATR's arent much revenue and more of a clogger! N

ow we say thats not enough - we want more LCC's to operate of HAL.

So what about people in Mysore road - should we build another airport at Bidadi? What about J.P Nagar - should we build another airstrip at J.P 7th Phase? I think we gotta agree on one thing - we can't always have airports in our backyards!

We've also agreed that Air Cargo is better off being at HAL. A reader rghtly argued in the TOI today that Air Cargo is creating a hazard for residents.

We've used devannhalli as an excuse to not develop airport road. As once the airport moves the traffic will reduce.

I think this is now being taken way over proportion, we have to think practically and more constructively.

Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Vasanth's picture

Everyone cannot be satisfied

I think, everyone cannot be satisfied.More and more people are raising their voice based on their own convenience. For example, for travelling to Mysore by Bus, people of Yelahanka have to come to KBS only. They do not have direct Bus service to Mysore from Yelahanka. Will they not do it? Why not HAL Airport? How were they doing all these days?

First basic question is how often people travel by plane? It is affected only to frequent Business travellers and rich men. 70-80% of Bangaloreans have not travelled by plane and do not have the need to travel. Only this 20-30% including the VIPs and the business executives are crying between HAL and BIAL.

What matters most to a common Bangalorean is say the buses to Mysore will start from Byatarayanapura Bus Stand only not from Majestic. A traveller from Yelahanka has to goto KBS, then change another Bus and reach Byatarayanapura. How often have seen people protesting about these kind of issues? Since most of VIPs travel by their cars, they do not rise these issues. Whenever an issue is impacted to a VIPs, they behave as if they are highly 'public concerned'. 

kbsyed61's picture

Satisfying All !

Vasanth, I am in total agreement with you. No matter where the airports, Bus Stops, railway stations are built, there will be segment of population or areas not directly connected or far away from the these facilities.

Did anybody raised any hue & cry for direct buses to Mysore from Yelahanka? No. As long as there are reasonable options to reach the destination, people would accept it.

As I have said in my earlier post, all these excuses of distance to BIAL etc are just smoke screens. Restricting the air tarffic to BIAL seems to affect the businesses and hence all the protests, voices, PILs etc.

Has any body filed any PIL to ensure that there is a railway connectivity to all the districts from B'lore? Has any body raised any voices for better BMTC connectivity to all the areas of Bangalore? 

It is just the bad luck of BIAL that has fallen prey to selfish motives in the garb of politics, intellectual discussion, suggestions and PILs.

Now we are crying from top of our heads about "Triumph of Politics over need of the public......." Isn't the PIL also has played its role in pushing the BIAL start date further? PIL petitioners can neither brushed aside this fact nor hide behind the politics.

Devesh's picture

Politics - the nail on our head

Navshot, thanks for hitting the nail for the real reason of the BIA delay. Praja users should look at it in a macro perspective.

The first delay was very much BIA's fault, there is no doubt about it. Check my story http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com/2008/03/delaying-launch-of-bial-correct-choice.html.

A point not known to most Bangaloreans. BIA's show case flight trials were actually conducted by HAL ATC, not BIA. At one point BIAL wanted to open BIA with HAL ATC operating the flights. This absolute disregard for safety shocked many people in the aviation industry. We were all relieved when calmer heads prevailed and BIAL accepted the May 10 revised date.

This latest shift, is just plain pure politics.

If BIA was opened on May 10th as planned, can you imagine the chaos on the very day of the assembly elections. I doubt if Rs /kg rice, and free colour TVs would save the Congress party.

At the end of May, the ruling UPA alliance gets its celebrations and PR to tout its "achievements".

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
vmenon's picture

BIAL renegotiation..who will finally gain, I wonder.

A little bird told me, that the swiss and BIAl are quite "happy" with the way the current discussions are going on..the so called renegotiation.

What the PIL chaps, city connect etc have not realised is that at the end of it  , BIAL will probably go to the bank laughing..when you say renogiatate..that too with an iron clad global agreement in hand , you can bet your life that the consortium will extarct very ounce possible. 

And even the PIL chaps advocate i "compensate BIAL" .Of course BIAL will ask for compensation if HAL is kept open and in effect it will boil down to BIAL getting compensation for not doing something.

ie... for not handling 'such and such' flights and allowing HAL to do it ..they will get an x amount!!..does this sound like a very possible outcome of the 'negotiations'

And oh yes , I forgot..there will be some money changing hands somewhere to make the renegotiation complete .So there are some more unknown beneficaries somewhere.

And all for what?..for a section of society which now claims to be the "PUBLIC" , uncomforatbale with a long ride across town !!!.

I know I am simplifying the case and argument, but just thot that this was one angle which was not discussed..

I remain a very anti HAL opening person  .

vmenon 

silkboard's picture

you have supporters here

Mr Menon, you have more than a few supporters here. A bureaucrat I recently met used a very apt term to describe HAL airport - a mirage. It indeed is that.

In last 2-3 months, I have seen suggestions ranging from destroying Belandur lake to expand HAL airport on South side, to suggestions of 'easy' (!) to maintain agreements for split of traffic between HAL and BIAL - all to design a long term arrangement for HAL.

As Ex-CJ Mr Venkatachaliah reminded us yesterday at VoteBengaluru event, we get what we deserve - democracy makes sure of at least that.

We don't really want to solve Bangalore's connectivity problem. We don't really want to pressure the main culprits here - those who sat over BIAL connectivity plans for 3 years. But we want to go overboard in punishing a business venture, who, back in 1999, bet on Bangalore's business potential. What if aviation business had gone south instead of north? Would the industry or government have bailed BIAL out in that case?

Dont count me as a BIAL sympathasizer though.

High Court clearly said connectivity can't be the ground for renegotiating with BIAL. And yet, Mr Praful Patel justifies renewed BIAL/HAL arrangements on the grounds of connectivity (just yesterday). Airport's distance (alright, a flawed location - should have been near Ramangaram/Bidadi) and location has been known for at least 5 years now, but looks like folks have been harboring hopes of reaching the airport in 15 minutes from every corner of the city.

But we know how the businesses in our country (and elsewhere too) operate. The word in hindi is "jugaad". Forget what has happened, let us "manage" this now - thats management for you. And in trying to manage the situation, the city's dreams of having its connectivity and congestion issues solved for ever could die another death.

Alright, go talk to BIAL to kill that 150 km rule - but please, build us a new airport in 2-3 years south of the city. Yes, go negotiate with BIAL if they are overly greedy about profits and looking at selfishly short gestation period for their project. But please, help lower or kill the UDF and make airlines and passengers happy. Worried about BIAL's monopoly, please help setup an airport regulator first - there are plenty of cities in our country with a single airport.

If someone really hated monopoly so much, he would look at BMTC and BESCOM before even thinking of BIAL. To remind everyone, BMTC carries 30 lakh people a day, that is 3 mill people every day waiting for a decade now to get quality services. And BESCOM serves 7 mill people every hour of the day, failing and blinking at least twice a day in the process.

I know I will be castigated for saying this (with things like - just because we can't feed our people, doesn't mean we shouldn't make atom bombs). But if anyone really cares for Bangalore, why would that person, or group, or consortium pick airport as the first cause? If lack of access to a quality airport were to kill Bangalore, we would be dead 5 years ago. The city will die because of internal connectivity, water and electricity long long before we will come to blame an airport for it, BIAL, HAL, or XAL.

Till then, let us enjoy the formulas, and recurring legal battles for who should land at HAL, and who should not.

s_yajaman's picture

Unclear demands

SB,

I agree with everything you said - except for Ramanagara/Bidadi. You would then have the ITPL side of town representing the public. Ramanagara is 48 km from JP Nagar via the NICE Road. That road is 4 laned and chaotic. I vote Sarjapur for the next international airport or just before Kanakapura (closer to my house than Devanahalli!)

It seems that the PILers want nothing short of full fledged operations in HAL. Not just short haul/ATR aircraft. I read their reactions and what I gathered was that 30% of traffic should go through HAL. Let individual airlines bid for slots, etc. Essentially there has been no concrete proposal on what is it that they want. This will become a case of the Arab and the camel!

Solving BIALs connectivity would have solved Bangalore's internal connectivity issues by 50% by putting up with the initial inconveniences. ORR would have been debottlenecked to a large extent. An extension of the NICE Road from Peenya to NH7 could have been done so that people from South and West Bangalore reach the airport in 40-60 mins. Instead of demanding that via the PIL - we demand HAL to be kept open. Amazing!

Meanwhile HIAL has finished more than a month of operation and seems to be going fine by the lack of news.

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

Devesh's picture

Albert Brunner's interview on Citizen Matters

Albert Brunner's interview is posted on Citizen Matters website. Check it out. Notice how deftly he deflects the capacity issue.

Looking at all the posts, and after all the data being posted on my blog, I cannot fathom how come there are so many naysayers.

May be it would be best for the naysayers to put some money on the table and take a bet with those who want HAL open. Close HAL and if within two years there is no capacity constraint at BIA, take the money. Otherwise loose it.

Anybody care to put money where their keyboard is ?

The proposals for HAL airport are broadly outlined in my blog. Please visit it. Right now, in absence of a clear path, no specifics are being discussed. Once their is traction from both sides (MoCA and BIAL) then some specifics can be discussed.

How many people are showing up at the Devana Yelli conference at West End tomorrow (Saturday) ? 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://deveshagarwal.blog...

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
narayan82's picture

with more than so many views

with more than so many views and stands,I wonder how the papers (or paper) terms keeping HAL open as the "public" opinion or the Citizens ineteres? The media has the power to bring together people, but not stuff them with ideologies and overide individual opinions. I would really appricate an honest survey not by BIAL, not by Media and certainly not by the government on the public opinion on BIAL - i think we will see a different version from what we read.
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Vasanth's picture

Is BRT a quick answer for BIAL connectivity

People are thinking of high speed rail link etc to BIAL connectivity. I was just thinking of BRT as a solution, infact a proactive measure to overcome the tomorrows chaos on the Hyderabad highway from Hebbal Flyover to BIAL with only Airport Buses plying on the BRT corridor. There are 3 lanes on either sides and 2 service lanes on either sides. Normal BMTC buses can operate on the service lanes. 2 lanes should be enough for normal traffic and service lane for the local people.

This is today's answer for tommorrows Chaos that may happen on the BIAL airport road.

This is what is done in Boston and they call the Silverline buses. They also have the electric diesel interoperability like the Delhi BRTS special buses.

narayan82's picture

Devesh!

I'm sorry devesh I still am not convinced about having 2 airports for 11 million Pax. I'm going to stick my head out and continue taking my stand here - the HAL must NOT be retained for more than Short Haul ATR flights. After going through your posts, I have researched and spoken to people on both sides of the fence, and those sitting on it! Figures aren't the only thing that must be taken into account.Unfortunately, I am not going to quote names. Runway capacity is full only in peak hours, leaving a lot of remaining time for airlines to find slots. As I see it International airlines can land at night so there are enough slots available. There has been a lot of reasons for closing HAL, which have slowly been twisted and modified - first it was Connectivity and then it was LCC airport, Air cargo, then runway capacity....and none seem to be fully justifiable with people changing stances. To me a waiting game seems best. As of now I feel BIAL can be the sole operator, and I am sure it is within thier capabilities to match up with expectations. Silkboard - you couldn't have been more right, and I agre with what you say. Execpt Bidadi might not have been the best choice too, as then we would still have the same argument, in fact Mysore road is worse than Bellary road - you cant widen it even if you want to! There cannot be an "idea" location for all. Lastly if connectivity means, trains and busses are better for short haul journeys then why not? We continue to polish to the skies and dirty the roads/tracks?
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Naveen's picture

Devesh - I agree !

I have always thought that HAL shd be allowed to continue as a second airport - in the larger interests for the city's future, & considering that air traffic growth rates have been & will continue to be phenomenal & sky-rocketing !
As regards BIAL & commercial agreements, I think they must be given a fair hearing & be duly compensated for loss of potential buisness - this is up to the parties concerned to quickly arrive at an agreement, & not unduly delay BIAL's opening - we are already behind now.
I think connectivity is something that goes with any large scale development of this nature & will need to be worked on in each case of such development - & I agree that the authorities have been sleeping when they should have been working overtime to meet schedules.
What I am unclear about is that there are suggestions for a new airport when we already have a facility at HAL - it will of course need to be overhauled & improved.
kbsyed61's picture

Connectivity and ATC !

Mr Devesh,

Your earlier post indicated that you were for May 11 oepning. But your latest post points contrary to that. New Excuse - Elections?

Two questions.

1. What do you have to say on the Connectivity issues w.r.t HIAL? Has all the connectivity issues are resolved in Hyderabad that there were no issues for Begumpet airport to be shutdown for commercial use? 

2. Isn't it a fact that even after the HIAL start, Begumpet ATC was handling all the landings and take offs? 

Regards, 

Syed 

santsub's picture

BIAL - Connectivity and ATC

Devesh,

Given the fact that this hoopla of postponement of BIA launch date was all political - what is the ground reality? In todays technological advancement - anything can be achieved. Based on your research and the current situations...

1. BIAL cannot handle Bangalores growth(I mean passenger and cargo here) so the debate is to keep HAL open until we can cope up with it.
2.BIA cannot expand on the south because of Yelahanka Air Base... They cannot expand on the north because you said there was no land...

I am sure there is a solution for them to expand - further east or west  on the northern side. But I have this doubt in mind did AAI clear the project even after knowing this fact that BIAL was not having scope to expand because of the airbases around it?

3. Keeping HAL Open - I guess its just an option for fliers.. example - In a city like Cleveland OH - there are 2 regional airports.. Cleveland Hopkins International (which virtually does not handle any international flights) and Akron Canton Airport which is about 35  miles from Cleveland Airport. They compete but both are not doing as well as it was intended to... Yeah well people may say Clevelands economy is bad - once a manufacturing hub of the world has lost it all to China... But it still does not add value...

4. How prepared are we for May29th Launch atleast??? is that a HAL BIA launch?

vmenon's picture

Oh please look at HAL and hal airport for what it really is!!

oH hal!!

we are really talking about an organaisation /facility which

a)Does not care two hoots for any real service to a consumer .They just do not have the orientation.There can a zillion low cost ,just attitudinal measure that can be taken at hal to alieviate consumer problems.

Parking and movement of cars being one small aspect.but have they done it??

b)It has destoryed a whole urban residential area and threatens to eat up more lung spaces.

c)If allowed to continue it will eat up more resources( of the tax payers kind ), in terms of external infrastructure ( a dedicated or overhead road will soon be required for even to HAL!)

d)It is a nightmare as a security and safety risk.

And suddenly we have a whole( actually quite small) bunch of overnight airport experts, who want to keep this obnoxious thing from the jurassic age be kept open, all armed with great data mostly coming from ..guess where..yes HAL!!

There was also some money on the table talk ..here is another one then..

let hal stay open and it will be the same inefficent,public resource sucking,consumer indifferent, mosquito filled , environment busting,shameful airport not just two years from now ..but ad infinitum,

(there were some rerasons why we wanted a new airport , traffic being just one of the reasons)

Put money there please.

But oh yes i forgot..we are not really talking of any of these issues , or some high and lofty ideal of public infrastructure or avant garde airport designs..

we are really talking about the convieninces of a small set of people who are now the whole public.

I know I am being extermely vitriolic ..and I am sorry for that.

one last thing..the only reason I am personally not doing something about this on the ground..fighting on this alternate view point is that, though it bugs me no end , it really is one of the smallest issues facing bangalore.And I really have no bandwidth to devote to that.

sorry again for the outburst..moderator?? welcome to knock it off the posts

vmenon

s_yajaman's picture

Freedom of speech fairly well protected here

Mr. Menon,

Rants are okay.  In general Voltaire (or at least has been ascribed to him) is respected here - "I disagree with what you say, but will defend to death your right to say it".  Well maybe not death - but you get what I mean :)

In fact somewhere in this discussion SB and I and many others made  similar sort of points.

a. That the airport is really used by a minority of people in Bangalore on a daily basis and 50 times as many use BMTC.  But this issue has gotten disproportionate publicity including on Praja.

b. That the noise about connectivity has set off some ridiculous sums of money being spent on a high speed train (why do we need 160 kmph over a 30 km stretch when 80 kmph will do ) and another minefield of an expressway (that anyway will start from a place that is difficult to reach in the first place).

c. That the real issue in this is the gridlock inside the city that prevents people from getting to Hebbal quickly and that with 10%(??) of the money being spent on the HST and the exp.way we could debottleneck the ORR and benefit a lot more people.

d. If we could spend half as much money as on the HST and expressway on public healthcare and BBMP schools and the Metro - it would be a better investment.

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

vmenon's picture

touche

srivatsava,

touche..could not agree more.

but you know ..the overall lesson is how any issue can be hijacked into a partcicular section of societys wishes if the rest are not vigilant.

The issue that we are at best a "lobbycracy" and not really a  true democracy yet .

menon

Devesh's picture

RTI

Kudos to your brother for putting his efforts where is mouth is.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://deveshagarwal.blog...

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

BRT - Considered and rejected

The state high level task force did a study on a BRT for BIA connectivity. There was to be 1 bus every 10~20 minutes. So dedicating a lane for that alone did not make sense.

I proposed an HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane, but the HLTF has slowed down the frequency of meeting. So the idea is pending.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
tsubba's picture

agenda

folks, about the airport and discussions on the aiport first the airport itself. one thing i want to figure out is why have people already washed hands off of BIA even before the phase 1 of a project is open? the stated possible capacity of the PUBLIC 4000 acres alloted to BIA is 40 mil pax. This even before the phase 1 of the project is yet to open. like narayan, i am not sure if the leverage of HAL should be squandered in the opening gambit. bangalore needs to focus on a fully developed air connectivity at the site at devanahalli. on the discussions on the airport. i think hammering people pursuing their interest is not really going to solve other problems. other problems need to be solved on their own merit. there are a million causes and a zillion people and the city is the sum total of the interests of its people. some are interested in rock, some hindustani, some fusion and some cant get enough of mano murthy. and that is how it must be. you cant ask raghu dixit to stop mixing shareef with flyod and start singing dhrupad. http://youtube.com/watch?... if not anything this intense focus on airport has highlighted the different aspects of an airport - what the expectations are, what the constraints are and so on. knowing that the airport is important is different from realizing why. i have not learnt much from reading media, but personally narayan, devesh, syed et al have been great teachers. airport is an important driver of economy no? what would horticulture industry do without it? and shouln't we be careful and ensure that the new airport augments our aeronautics industry and not undermine it? if a full blown directly connected to europe and rest of the world BIA can help the yoga and tourism industry in mysore and south karnataka, isn't that in the greater interest? FYI, thanks to the boom in banglore, the palace at mysore saw the same volumes of footfalls as taj mahal. and that is just based on ticket sales of those who went inside the palace. eveningers and others outside not counted for. tourism is a great industry cooks, cleaners, drivers, history buffs, historians, engineers, architects and scientists them employs all. its called an air PORT for a reason. bottomline airport means local jobs without which there is no city. also where do you think is the next koramangala is going to be in bangalore? why do we need a bidadi or a nandagudi when a devanhalli is there? i personally think that being the source of water, we should be extra careful before we tamper with the cauvery basin. we've screwed up arkavathy anyway. you dont want to push towards the hills and screw cauvery too. leave the areas south of bangalore as buffer. back into the bayaluseeme is where blr should grow. about praja itself, members here have covered a whole lot of issues. whenever, i see a big picture, state of the city type of article like kasthurirangan committee report, i have observed that members have had something to say about most of the issues in these reports.
blrsri's picture

Blr HOV

so what constitutes HOV for cars in bangalore context?

Elsewhere  cars with 1+1 has the ability to enter HOV lanes..in Blr we will find almost all cars with drivers..so theres a default 1 all the time..

Probably we need to make it 1+2 !

yuvaraj65's picture

bial/hal atc

hi folks,

I am seeing lots of discussion on the delay for BIAL. But the real reason is still the AAI ATC. They are still not ready. As devesh pointed out, it is HAL ATC that conducted the flight trials into BIAL. Even now every day some proving trials are on, again efficiently being handled by HAL ATC. Yesterday AAI carried out flight calibration of the RADAR at BIAL. It was completed on a single day, again because of the accomodative nature of HAl ATC. The flight calibration was carried out without any delay or hitches, you can check this out with AAI. Again BIAL ATC had no role in this.

All the help by HAL ATC never gets highlighted in the media whis is surprising.

The delay is mainly because AAI ATC at BIAL is not ready!!!!

The ATC at BIAL cannot handle this amount of traffic. There will be chaos!!

The only solution to decongest BIAL: let ATRs operate out of HAL and turbojet out of BIAL. Lot of ATC related problems will be solved.

BIAL need not be given any share in HAL Airport. They will get 10 million passengers and more slots for bigger aircraft, which is way above their fantastic forecast in their own website.

Let us wait till may 12, when the final decision will be taken, hopefully with good logical and practical thinking.

Yuvaraj65

narayan82's picture

common ATC

AAI and HAL are both government bodies. Hence why can't they combine and operate a common ATC for HAL and BIAL. This means you Approach Controller is common, who puts you in the flight path and then hands it over to Tower. Anyway as I undetstand, Approach Control is not in the tower as the works is screen based as opposed to Visual. Woudln't a HAL and BIAL approach control be more pratical and afe if it were under one roof? Maybe Yelahanka ATC can also be incorporated.
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Devesh's picture

Updates

Hi Everyone

For some reason, if I post more than a two or three line answer, I get a page not found error. May be the Praja admins have programmed me out. :))

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

ATCs

Yuvaraj

Amen. Most Bangaloreans are just enamoured by the glitzy terminal. No one appreciates their safety and efficiency. They just assume it is there.

For those who want one ATC, sorry folks that is impossible. Who will bell the cat. AAI is getting its revenue from the ATC operations. Why would they give it to HAL. HAL does not want to get dragged in to the inefficiencies of BIA ATC.

Just ATR out of HAL. Sorry, the airlines are not accepting that proposal. Then they will just operate BIA. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

PIL facts

Sorry folks, but the PIL never asked for a delay in BIA opening. It only asked to stay the closing of HAL. If the situation is misinterpreted that is not the petioners fault.

A lot of good info came our in the Bangalore Mirror's Devana Yelli ? seminar today. I recommend people buy a copy tomorrow and read it.

For this airport, over 10,000 Cr of our money is going to be spent on connectivity. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

HAL airport

Outbursts are perfectly acceptable, if one has the full knowledge.

HAL does not operate the terminal or the parking or any of the landside. AAI (a shareholder in BIA) does. Assign blame to the right people, and remember they will be looking after you at BIA as well.

The residential areas you are referring to, (a) came up 30 years AFTER HAL airport opened (b) Encroached upon airport land, which is why the apron could not be expanded, which is why we need BIAL in the first place.

I have been monitoring airports and aviation in Bangalore since 1993, not overnight. Along with other process experts, I have spent many nights from 9pm to 3am monitoring and observing how the airport works. For instance what happens to your bags once you check them in. What conditions do airport workers work under. What are their concerns. This was not a paid assignment, but we did it for the Chamber so that proper representations and plans could be made to ensure more flights out of Bangalore for the convenience of Bangaloreans. Data on air traffic is taken from multiple sources, AAI primarily, OAG, IATA, ICAO, DGCA, Customs, MSIL, JWG, and HAL. In fact only airside operations (the part you do not see) is taken from HAL.

Some members are going all out to ensure BIAL's Rs 2500 Cr investment, but are totally unconcerned about the 10,000 Cr of OUR money that has already or will be spent in the next 3 years.

HAL airport generates profits of over Rs. 500 Cr for AAI, and only about 250 Cr for HAL, and incidentally, over 65 Cr for CISF, so that they can deploy only a few staff in Bangalore, and use the balance to have staff in the traffic overflowing airports of Puttaparti, Tirupati, Trichy, and others.

Very frankly, I am tired of justfying myself to people who are happy getting "educated" by the selective media reports, instead of making the effort to explore the whole picture.

Sri, sorry for my outburst. The edit pen is at your disposal.

-----------------------

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

In city congestion

Srivathsa

In fact, that was the conclusion at the Devana Yelli seminar today. The connectivity to the airport from Hebbal onwards is not a concern. It is getting TO Hebbal that is the problem.

I took a cue from the Praja at Praja, and made the audacious proposal about having PPP in public transport in addition to BMTC.

There are many entrepreneurs who have offered door-to-door connectivity to the airport, something like the "Super Shuttle" services in US, and the Maxi-Cab in Singapore. BIAL refused them since their license fee will get diluted. In fact BIAL has refused BMTC adequate parking facilities for the Vayu Vajra and Suvarna buses, however Mr. V.P. Baligar, Principal Secretary has offered to help get the parking for BMTC.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

Common ATC

Bottom line Narayan -- Turfdom.

The IAF controllers do not trust BIA ATC to give due priority to IAF flights due to commercial considerations.

BIA (AAI) ATC does not want to give up control to IAF ATC due to loss of revenues

HAL wants to protect its own airspace.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

Yes, I agree with you Sri. I

Yes, I agree with you Sri. I had proposed minimum of 3 persons, and all the Volvo buses.

The problem still is in-city, not post Hebbal flyover.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
narayan82's picture

beg to differ!

I somehow feel only selective media is being channelised to the citizens/people through papers/TV. If a pro active citizen moved out of this regime and investigates further (from both sides) there is a lot more than what we read. I don't think people here must change thier opinions, it is not a forum that needs to have one single opinion - opinions are good - it makes it stronger.
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
tsubba's picture

no edit & narayan

devesh. no editorial censorship. there is perhaps a technical issue. beyond my abilities. our admin will take a look at it. in the meantime, i suggest you disable rich text and post in text. urls show up dont worry. if you need help formatting post the content to me. exactly. even with media reports, you tend to see patterns if you sit back look at aggregates rather than swaying to daily news feeds.
kbsyed61's picture

Focus on Decongestion in City !

Mr Devesh,

You have rightly acknowledged what most of praja members are trying to say. We are over spending our energies on Airports.Instead we should be spending these energies on most needed resources in the city - Roads and Transport infracstructure.

Frankly speaking we don't need high speed trains to airport. We cam afford extra 15-30 mins with a dependable regular train facility.

We don't need chopper services to reach BIAL. All what is needed is a good dependable transport service with good roads. Therefore PILs should be filed for these much needed amenities.

So our priorities should be good roads and dependable transport services. Am I wrong?

I am sure the Chamber of Commerce with you as its chair for the Infrastructure would have already taken initiatives on this. Could you pls share the info on these initiatives with praja.

You can help Bangalore. Chamber of commerce can help Bangalore. We all can help Bangalore.

Mr. Devesh, as roads and transportation becomes better, people expand their scope of travel, business, their life etc. Businesses and the industrial onwers would be biggest gainers in this with larger turnovers and thereby more profits. That should help the city with more taxes (if we pay honestly).

Right now Bangalore's connectivity is not even and fair. We seems to plan for better amenities for areas where higher income group people live. Areas with marginal income are hardly have any connectivity to name one. This parity should go.

Actually, from business perspective volume should decide these. In US, have you seen Wallmarts, Sam's Clubs in  posh areas which has million dollor houses?

I have said it in my earlier post also. Time has come to remove these disparities and work for  fair system where all areas are taken  care of well and fairly.

I would look forward to info on initiatives on transportation.

Regards,

Syed 

Devesh's picture

Opinions

Very well said Narayan. Opinions are valuable. We learn from them. I do not know if you have observed a subtle shift in my blog entries. I have learnt from the Praja at Praja, and in a very high level meeting today, I was accused of being too harsh on HAL :)) I am soft only on Bangalore, I want the best for the city. Believe it or not, I have absolutely no connection to any aviation industry except as a passenger like anyone else, or an importer and exporter, like anyone else.

Only if Bangalore gains, I as a Bangalorean gains.

In a way, we are victims of a very selective media. In the seminar today, even Bangalore Mirror and other media were not spared. Journalists are the first line of the citizens' defence. We demand a lot from our government, should we not also demand a lot from the media ?

In the seminar, Mr. Shrivastava, Joint Secretary, MoCA, informed us how powerful Residents Welfare Associations are in New Delhi, and their impact on city planning and administration.

There is a wealth of valuable ideas on Praja, and these need to be put in to action. If I may propose, those interested people should visit http://www.bangalore.cityconnect.in. Write to CC and offer your help.

And most importantly, the Praja at Praja, needs to get out the vote 100%. Only then can we ensure we get the good government we want, else we will get the crap we deserve.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

Decongestion and the role of industry chambers

Syed

We all focus energies on our immediate concerns. At the Chamber, we have in our membership Citizens Action Forum, and we invited Mr. Rao for our next meeting.

However, the Bangalore Chamber of Industry and Commerce or any other Industry Chamber is precisely that, a chamber for its members. We have to focus our energies on the most pressing needs of our members. Land, power, water, transport, educational facilities for worker training, governmental interface on policies, and implementation, etc.

We do recognise that we have a role within the society in which we operate, and we try to help as much as possible, but we are not a public issues forum, and we will do a dis-service to both our members and the society at large if we exceed our capabilities.

Public issues would come under CAF or Janaagraha etc. Bangalore City Connect is a common platform to join together the Industry Chambers, along with NGOs including RWAs. So that would be a better place to focus. The Bangalore Traffic and Transport Initiative (BTTI) is the first effort of Bangalore City Connect. I am sure they need help in that area. Check their website, contact them, volunteer your help.

One of our members represents the Chamber on the Railways Consultative Committee. The latest updates from him.

• Shifting of parking lot at the Cantonment railway station - Our suggestion of shifting the existing parking lot at Cantonment railway station nearer to the station has been agreed by the Railways.  Railways will take up the matter with the BBMP to shift the parking lot nearer the station.
  • Our suggestion to introduce train services to Bangalore and Kolar was agreed and was inaugurated last month. We have also requested for an additional train to Hosur from Bangalore which would connect the other stations in Bangalore. They are considering it but are of the opinion that priority of the Railways is to introduce long distance trains and not providing alternate transport facility to Bangalore.
  • We have also appealed for a better railway terminal close to the nearest point to BIAL which will help passengers and cargo which is being considered.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

New forum topic on Decongestion

Friends, to keep the forum topics organised, I started a new topic on decongestion.

http://bangalore.praja.in/bangalore/discuss/2008/05/decongesting-bangalore-city-centre.

Aviation topics on this thread, decongestion proposals on the new thread.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
narayan82's picture

ATC

There are sites where you can get a live ATC feed - wonder if anyone sets one up for AAI what they will hear! But you see - squabling within AAI/HAL/IAF makes our skies more unsafe, and they are all part of the same government. There has to be one regulatory authority for Airspace, and it takes one government to regulate this - there arent any private parties involved. Its a good thing we didnt privatise this. Another concern, the aircrafts at Yelahanka Airbase arent really the latest ones, hence are they fitted with those fancy GPS devices - which avert collisions? I hope they are...
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
admin's picture

Cityconnect and Praja

For the benefit of all members, let us put on record a meeting Silkboard and Naveen had with Cityconnect ( a sub-group of Janaagraha). We are trying to explore ways of connecting Praja members with Cityconnect.

The essence of our community will be its openness and transparency. We will strive to keep it open and democratic, but lightly moderated so that we facilitate quality discussion.

Actions are the logic next steps from quality discussions. Our hope is that quality discussions will help bring like minded people together, and then spawn off smaller groups that would purse their own courses of action. And that is beginning to happen in small measures here and there.

The power of our community will be people, lots and lots like minded people. And remember, like-minded does not mean everyone should think the same, and pick the same causes.

Anyway. stay tuned. We are right now working on tools to make this an e-democratic and transparent citizen driven lobbying platform. If you have ideas, or better, if you want to help do some work - there is a contact form open to all members.

ardude's picture

Connecting flights: BIA - HAL / HAL - BIA transfer

I have a question regarding having all ATRs / 80 seater / short haul aircrafts operating out of the HAL airport.

Suppose one is to take a short haul flight from Mangalore - Bangalore (say) and then fly international, does that mean travelling 40kms by road with baggages getting transferred across the city by the airline? Now, how painful is that? Vice versa also holds true if one is taking a short haul domestic flight after travelling international to BIA.

Existing Mumbai domestic - international transfer itself is painful which involves shorter distance compared to BIA - HAL. Negotiating city traffic for connecting flights looks to me like a very bad idea. Also, HAL airport is so badly built, maintained & operated that it doesn't deserve to be open.

narayan82's picture

ArDude...

A very small percentage of travellers have international transfers to Bangalore. In the occasional cases there is a volvo every 15-20 mins from HAL airport to BIA. But travel agents while booking these connecting flights would be aware of this and would rather book you on a A320/B737 to BIA.
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum