Skip to Content

Road side parking of cars and other vehicles

Some time back I had posted an article in my blog regarding the road side parking in RWA of HAL III stage area, in Bangalore.

The TOI report which deals with the same problem but with reference to a global warming perspective, is interesting, in this connection.

The suggestions made by the national action plan on climate change wants to make private parking place mandatory for owning such private vehicles. This in effect means one will not be allowed to buy a vehicle for private use unless he has a private parking place, fantastic! This is what Our RWA is figting for.

anton's picture

Hi all! Nooby's first

Hi all! Nooby's first post... What is the majority view about people (shop AND home owners) who appropriate the space outside their location to: 1) Plant a garden 2) Create a reserved parking space to the inconvenience of pedestrians and motorists passing through the area during social or shopping visits? Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiousity!
psaram42's picture

Welcome Nooby

Your point is valid. I also felt the same way towards people putting gardens with fencing in front of their houses. That is another extreme. My children always complain about not getting parking whenever they are visiting. This happens because taxis are parked at my road all the time. I do feel I should create my own parking place with an enclosure. I am yet to decide.

I had tried to articulate this dilemma in my blog, some time back.

PSA
silkboard's picture

a pic to explain the point

Perhaps this will make some readers get this better. I think there is a serious war about to start in residential areas with smaller plots or narrow roads - do not park along my plot.

An exmaple of someone with neither me nor you approach to this parking chaos:

idontspam's picture

Line of Control

I always felt your ownership stops with the compound of your house. From sidewalk on it belongs to the community and be regulated by BBMP. You cannot reserve parking in front of your house just because it is convinient for you. This is how it is in most countries, but BBMP right now doesnt care because we are still living in the 18th century governance model.

Regarding the picture above it still doesnt prevent parking. One could park beyond the stones. It only prevents mounting of the vehicle on the sidewalk which would be fine because otherwise it would take up pedestrian space.

psaram42's picture

preference over line of control

For parking along side a residential compound wall that is the Line of control, the owner's visitor should have the first preference. Hence when my son visits me he invariably requests the intruder to remove his vehicle. Till now people have obliged. However I expect that sometime in near future, a person will not. If this happens many times I am going to put a chain barricade, like other neighbours. If the authority questions me I will ask him to question all offenders like me in writing.

The point I am trying to make is governance is a complex issue, as far as our country is concerned, at this juncture.

PSA
idontspam's picture

I admit but...

The point I am trying to make is governance is a complex issue, as far as our country is concerned, at this juncture.

I agree and I myself have done this all my life. I am always the claimant to the space in front of my house, putting up a fight with "intruders" if need be. But I wouldnt dare do this in the many other countries I have visited and lived. It wouldnt matter also, because the line of control is defined and controlled by the city. I only feel this reflects how we are in various other spheres of life, uncoltrolled, chaotic, entropic and law onto ourselves.

anton's picture

Thanks for taking time to post the various views

The problem exists abroad as well. I remember attending a barbeque and parking, along with others, outside the host's house at 4:00 pm in an area where the home owners parked on the road. When the owners came home from work/offfice, they were forced to park several streets away. The situation became strained when the host threw a series of parties! In LA (Central), some areas had parking meters installed. The residents were forced to convert a front room into car parking or rent space in nearby locations. When visiting friends, I had to feed the meter every 2 hours and repark facing the opposite direction, as the parking patrol marked the road facing tyres of the car. Obviously good for a total of 4 hours only!
ssheragu's picture

using BBMP in front of one's house for his / her purpose

ssheragu IMHO one ofthe major factors for cumbersome pedestrian tarffic and traffic jams is that peole enroach upon BBMP space outside their house fortheir use 1. using folding gates to park their car, so that part of the car projects outside and juts into the footpath or pedetsrian paths; (this is a peculiar / cheap idea practised only mostly in Bangalore) 2. parking their cars outside on a permanent basis by not providing for a garage in their house during construction 3. parking their cars outside on a permanent basis by letting out their garage on rent for shops, thereby not only enroaching / gobbling up public space but also causing traffic jams, since customers who visit the garage turned shop park their vehicles outside it is hightime that (1) first if we, anyone in Praja is practising this, we should immediately stop this disastrous practice (2) two make sure that BBMP comes down with a heavy hand on such practice amd ensures that one is allowed to practice that many thanks Srinath Heragu
psaram42's picture

An excellent proposal indeed

The proposal made by ssheragu that no praja member should use BBMP space for own use is very well made.

Many people have no garage of their own, but use the road instead. My Neighbor has a garage but still parks the car outside as it is full with other junk items. My locality neighbors with 20x30 sites are all parking on roads for ages. Their roads are the narrowest roads that BBMP ever builds.

PSA 

SB_YPR's picture

Pay 'n' Park in residential areas too

Hi,

The comment that Anton/Nobby made above about paid parking in LA gave me an idea - why not try it here too? Install meters, such as those on Brigades or Commercial, with a hefty parking tariff (say Rs. 5 for every 30 min). Any car over-parking or not paying the fee should be towed away and released only after the owner pays the fine in court. This will deter owners from parking in front of their houses, while not inconveniencing visitors who ususlly spend an hour or two at most.

We could try this starting in the more upmarket areas such as Jayanagar, Indiranagr etc. and then extend it to other areas.

~~~~
Manish, Nagarbhavi.

~~~~

Manish.

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum