Skip to Content

NHAI: Hebbal - Yelahanka - BIAL

Work on road to BIA from Nov DH News Service, Bangalore Work on the much awaited six-lane elevated road between Hebbal and Yelahanka bypass to facilitate smooth traffic to and from the Bengaluru International Airport (BIA) will start from November this year. Speaking to reporters here after reviewing the progress of various national highway development projects in the State, Union Minister of State for Shipping, Road Transport and Highways K H Muniyappa said the four-km long elevated toll road will be in addition to the eight-laning of the existing stretch between the two locations to ensure better connectivity to the airport. The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) will be using the latest innovations in the construction technology for the project and the six-lane elevated road will be supported on single pillars and not pillar pairs, Muniyappa said. The NHAI will also take up 10-laning (six lanes with two service lanes on either side) of the stretch between Yelahanka and the airport with room for future expansion. The total project cost is Rs 450 crore and will be completed within a two-year time-frame, the minister said.
Devesh's picture

NH-7 Hebbal to Yelanhanka elevated road

I just returned from a meeting (sorry cannot disclose details), and do not have encouraging news on the elevated road on NH-7 from Hebbal to Yelanhanka.

The construction will actually commence a minimum 6 months from now, if we are lucky, but more likely April 2009.The project will run about 24 months, but more enlightened Prajagale with BETL experience will be able to contribute to this post with realistic expectations.

The construction will eat up 75% of the existing 3 lane road. To keep up with even part of the capacity, service lanes will have to be fully developed and strengthened to act as the highway. For this land needs to be acquired. Many parts of the highway do not have service lanes due to existing lack of land, and I am told there are villages including a temple which obstructs the service lane requirements. How is NHAI going to shift a temple is beyond me. May be CRPF from Srinagar will have to be deployed.

From the existing 60 meters (6 + 2 lanes) the plan is to provide for 8 + 4 (almost 100 meters). Commence with one service lane and provide for the second on each side. Not clear if the 4th highway lane will be constructed right away or just provided for. On the top will be a 6 lane highway.

All the utilities will have to be shifted to beyond the expected boundaries of the expanded road, and for this too land will have to be acquired. Some of the land is under the control of BSF and this requires interaction with the wonderfully efficient folks at Ministry of Home Affairs in New Delhi, and we all know how concerned they are with Bangalore's development.

Going by past experience, Government in their rush will commence the project without the side lanes, and I fear we are heading to a Hosur Road shamble once again.

And lest we forget, we have a small show coming up in Feb 2009 called Aero India.

With regards to the NICE road being extended beyond NH4 to touch NH, I was advised by a senior officer, to file a PIL, to force the government to get the road completed fast and also to extend connectivity to NH-7.

The folks at BIAL are cooperating with BMTC and visibility for the VV service will increase. Just as things are falling in place, the road will be in a mess. Hopefully SH104 (Bagalur Road) will be completed before that.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
tsubba's picture

NH7 & Elevated Roads

Devesh, thanks for the insider report. Who was discussing this and where is not as important. it suffices to assume some influential people met and discussed. Whoever. But tell me this, was there any analysis of - why this intervention, is this needed, what are the alternatives etc etc... there has to be a nice concise phrase for this, being unschooled in these i dunno that phrase, but i am pretty sure asking basic questions like this is norm for rational decision making. also did anybody ask, why elevated only till yelahanka? what happens at yelahanka? p+n lane traffic upto YEL. then what? beyond YEL are there going to be upgradations so that atleast p+(n-k), for a value of k greater than 0 but less than n exists?
rs's picture

Isnt this insane ?

It seems to me that this whole project of building an elevated highway from Hebbal to Yelahanka is just another bit of insanity on the part of the BBMP. The traffic on that stretch is not so bad - all that is necessary is a few underpasses for traffic - at Kodigehalli and Bytarayanapura - and several pedestrian crossings at various points. And an overbridge at Yelahanka. Spending 100s of crores is not really necessary. To prevent pedestrians from crossing they need to make provisions for that and make a significant barrier in the middle of the road. People are less willing to try their luck at crossing if they run the risk of getting run over in the middle - as things stand now there is a safe zone in the middle. The BBMPs current barriers are completely ineffective - like trying to carry water in a netted bag.
s_yajaman's picture

Not a terrible idea

I am usually against these mega road projects.  But on this one, I think I support it - BUT - they need to make a plan for Hebbal Flyover. 

There is too much risk to pedestrians as there are hevaily populated areas on either side of the road.  I also expect a fair bit of real estate development upto Yelahanka. 

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

s_yajaman's picture

More elevated roads - from NHAI (courtesy The Hindu)

Saw this in the Hindu

http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/27/stories/2008082753850400.htm

NHAI draws up plan for two more elevated roads

T.S. Ranganna

They will connect four major flyovers in Bangalore

One expressway will link Hosur Road flyover and Hebbal flyover on NH 7 The other will connect Krishnarajapuram flyover to Nelamangala flyover on NH 4

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

Devesh's picture

NH-7 Elevated Road

I am not sure that the elevated road is required right now. If the rail link is being implemented, and already government has spent Rs. 1600 Cr on development of other roads like SH104 etc., should we be spending another Rs. 450 Cr. ? This is an interesting point of debate.

Hebbal flyover is only 2 lanes, and it will become the choke point in years to come. There is no alternate to Hebbal flyover and there is no way to increase its capacity by widening. 

Also one mis-conception. BBMP is not in charge. Their jurisdiction stops at Hebbal flyover. After that is it NHAI. This is not to be confused with NH which is a separate GoI department similar to PWD. The lighting and maintainance of NH7 has been undertaken by BBMP at the request and instructions of the high level task force after NHAI raised its hands.

Talking of confusion, the SH104 has been developed from ORR to Bagalur by PWD. A small stretch from Bagalur to NH-7 (near DPS) has yet to be completed. One piece by one department and one piece by another department. No coordination. No idea what is happening, yet the State Government has declared SH104 as completed. In all 34 departments are involved. It is amazing. I was pushing for the road to get fully completed and then GoK can put ads with maps. Once the elevated road is started, NH7 will become hell. We need alternate roads, like it or not.

Yesterday, the rep of Railways was there. The Mathikere ROB has been declared completed, but the Commisioner for Railway Safety made some "observations" so railways will take another 2 months to address those "observations". The Whitefield ROB and ITC ROB, were stalled due to escalation in steel prices which have now been resolved. The Whitefield ROB was only 2 months away from completion when it was stalled, but will now require 4 more months to restart and complete. The GoI could not be bothered about Bangalore. The netas, and powers to be are not getting inconvenienced here. 

The problem with skywalks is that BBMP refused since NHAI did not want to give ad rights to recover costs. Along with support of senior officers I pushed the task force to write to NHAI and request them for either putting skywalks or then giving permission and NOC for private/BBMP skywalks with advertising. Hopefully in a month's time we should get an answer, but I would not hold my breath.

Incidentally another officer told me there is another good road running parallel to NH7 near Manyata Tech Park. Anybody has a clue on this ?

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
idontspam's picture

Mathikere ROB

"Yesterday, the rep of Railways was there. The Mathikere ROB has been declared completed but the Commisioner for Railway Safety made some "observations" so railways will take another 2 months to address those "observations". "

The obesrvation probably was "You have to finish it so people can drive on it"

On hebbal flyover I have a solution. Since 8 lanes from mekhri circle end abruptly at the flyover (which has 4 lanes), we need to lay dedicated lane for buses one on each side going underground and emerging on NH7. We could use box pushing technology for this. 

tsubba's picture

Hebbal Flyover

Exactly Devesh!! bottle neck is hebbal flyover. for north bound traffic expansion is ok. but for south bound traffic, at hebbal there are three exit directions serviced by 2+1+1 lanes. which means, to ensure smooth flow, for atleast a couple of kilometers(to help traffic to sort itself in flow) north of hebbal there have to 4 lanes.

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum