Skip to Content

BIAL Experiences & suggestions for improvements based on those experiences

2 first hand experiences

my in-laws:

Arrived at BIA from Mumbai for the 1st time at BIA. Were very impressed by the new airport. Found the arrivals area very clean, spacious and functional. Were initially skeptical of the distance of the airport from the city. But, were very happy with the bus connectivity provided by BMTC. Took the bus and got off in an hour at Mekhri circle hence did not mind the distance.

my wife:

international arrivals: Found the arrival very smooth. Versy spacious and clean. Immigration, baggage claim and customs was very smooth according to her.

inernational departure (BIZARRE Experience): Was happy with the checkin process & security check. Found the checkin area to be spacious (considering it was midnight; but she felt it was much bigger than HAL according to her). Found the toilets to be dirty (seems to make sense considering the same complaint from others in the forums). Waiting area was adequate, cleand and spacious according to her.

But, here begins the BIZARRE experience for which some American airports like JFK and ORD are famously notorious for. They boarded the flight at around 2.30 am on 13th but took off only at 8.00 am. All passengers were forced to sit in the plane on the tarmac for 6 hours. Pilot claimed there was icing on the wings and she saw water being poured on the wings. Around 4.30 am pilot taxied around the airport 2 or 3 times and returned to the apron saying ice hasn't melted and needs to wait for sunrise. Finally took off at around 8.00 am. This was the dragon air flight to Hong Kong. Anybody else from Praja who happened to be on this flight?...please share your experience. BIAL authorities could perhaps have intervened to allow passengers back to the terminal. Granted that traces of ice may have formed at high altitutes on the inbound flight (if the deicing systems did not work) but it beats me how it did not melt away on the descent or for that matter on the tarmac wher the temperature was a good 20degree celcius and above!!

Overall verdict (their perspective of the layman passenger whithout any clue of the aviation lingo we talk about on this forum ) -> a) Initially sckeptical of distance of the airport from the city but were okay with it considering the good road and the bus connectivity. What they emphasised was that it took equal time to reach the old HAL airport which is just 18 kms away under same traffic conditions eventhough Devanahalli airport is a good 35 to 40 kms away.

b) Much superior to HAL in terms of space, cleanliness, public transport connectivity.

Suggestions I heard from them

a) Toilets need better maintenance.

b) My wife felt that there should be shared ride vans by BMTC on the lines of airport shuttles in the US where 7 or 8 passengers share a van and get dropped off door to door. This was an issue because my wife could not take the bus at 3.00am in the morning because transportation from the bus stop to the house was an issue.

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum