Skip to Content

Bangalore bus stops to have shopping malls

This is what they said about Garuda Mall where a public parking lot was proposed. Today all you have is the Mall and it's private parking that's added to the congestion rather than alleviate it.

From DNA India - Bangalore bus stops to have shopping malls, Bhargavi Kerur (k_bhargavi@dnaindia.net), Tuesday, June 10, 2008 03:00 IST

... 45 ... Transit Traffic Management Centres (TTMC) will come up ... in two years at an expense of Rs330 crore.

“... finalising the tender bid ... to be completed with a few months. From the issue date, 24 months ... ” the chief civil engineer of ... BMTC Palanetra Naik told DNA.

The TTMCs will have a bus stand ... parking space ... food court, departmental stores, book stores, gift and fancy stores, crèche for children apart from the basic amenities ... idea ... is to ease the traffic congestion ... average Banglorean spends ... 250 hours in a traffic jam every year ... and travels at a speed of 12 kilometres per hour.

[Note: Have trimmed this post. Please don't copy paste full articles. Provide link, and article summary with your write up around it. Articles are owned by respective newspapers - {editor}]

silkboard's picture

45 TTMCs in 24 months!

45 of the in two years, that sounds a bit much. But do notice that the 24 month 'claim' is after work gets awarded (issue date). Tenders getting ready anf floated, give that a fewmonths. Then the process to award contracts, few more months. Since their will be a lot of interest (mall building is lucrative for real estate players), there may be legal tangles as well. Besides, lets see if the new person in charge of BMTC likes the TTMC concept, or if he decides to change or evolve it.

If routing can be planned well, and commensurate investments in bus stands, last mile drops, I think TTMCs are a good idea. But there is no proof yet, I haven't seen any data that says that the Shantinagar TTMC (that big bazaar) has upped BMTC usage in that area. 

I see a lot of stress on parking, so looks like the "last - mile" plan is for people to drive their own vehicles to these TTMCs. Hope not.

Tarle, Naveen, blrsri, navshot or anyone, could you make a nice post on TTMCs, their purpose and plan. We can then use that as the lead post to track TTMCs. I will try one myself tonite.

narayan82's picture

bus seperation

this might be below the belt but anyway... In the new TTMC's the Volvos and other A/C must have a seperate stand maybe at a diferrent level. Otherwise it will become a ShivajiNagar downstairs and a Garuda Mall upstairs, and a lot of Car/Bike users will use only the upper parts.
Narayan Gopalan
User Interaction Designer
Bangalore

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum