Skip to Content

BIAL to open on May 23 night

http://aviation.deveshaga...

The opening date for the new Bengaluru International Airport of BIAL is scheduled to open on May 23 night, May 24th morning.

I visited BIA today for an on-site assessment. This blog entry is a very accurate and honest assessment of BIAL. http://sniperz11.blogspot....

For sure, it is an improvement over HAL, but then even I could build a better terminal that HAL. Having seen over 50 airports globally, from the great to the downright ugly, for those who consider the BIAL airport "world class" I have only one word "PUH-LEASE"

I have done a very rough comparison of terminal capacity. It shows how woefully short BIAL is, even when compared to RGIA airport in Hyderabad.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

AttachmentSize
BIA comparison to other airports.pdf 64.45 KB
Bengloorappa's picture

BMTC experimenting with BRTS to BIAL

“Initially, we will try to experiment with a bus lane on the extreme left of the road on either side. One lane, 3 mtrs, will be used for bus service and if the model clicks, then we can make it a permanent feature on the road. Having an exclusive airport bus service without a lane does not solve the problem,’’ said traffic expert and BMTC adviser M N Sreehari. 

Source: Yesterday's(14-May) TOI

narayan82's picture

Devesh...

This is w.r.t to your article "http://sniperz11.blogspot.com/2008/04/bangalore-airport-daylight-dacoity.html". I did conduct a visit to the airport today. Here are a few points which I found uncovered or in my opinion "different." 1. W.r.t to the trumpet interchange. The loops that take you take to the airport and back to Bangalore are complete, only the seond coat of Paint is remaining - in fact I drove on them. 2. There is a visitors ticket counter and entry next to the arrivals entrance, which allows you go inside the main terminal building and even sit at the Cafe Coffee day, the Bistro or even browse at the Odyssey Book stall. 3. The parking area also has a Cafe with chairs and tables for visitors. The tables and chairs are currently wrapped up and kept away since it is not visible. 4. there is a lot of Canopy that saves you from the rain, that guides you from the far end of the car park/bus terminal to the main terminal building. 5. This is my favourite Part. After security/immigration check once you enter the departure hold area, the view of Nandi Hills is beautiful! I am glad unlike hyderabad the view is not obstrcuted by art on the glass. In fact even if an international passenger arrives he walks along this apron view before entering arrivals. If were to return to Bangalore after a long time I would love to be greeted by such a sight. 6. I will not comment on the size and the escalators untill the airport is functional. 7. The arrivals - International has 4 belts while Domestic have 3. This area has a swing gate which allows the number belts to be increased depending on the hour. Finally I personally am ok with the simplicity in the airport, I am sure in time the color will be added with paintings,graphics etc...I am more keen in the fucntional aspect enabling me to enter and exit quicker than other airports. I did also explore the busses to BIAL (the Vaayu vajras) they are equipped with Luggage Racks and a Helper to assist you with the Baggage. As soon as you alight at BIAL there are Trolleys that greet you and a Porter Service too that isnt going blow a large hole if you have a lot of bags. In fact using the bus would save traffic on the road as well.
Narayan Gopalan
User Interaction Designer
Bangalore
santsub's picture

Narayan, Devesh

I think you are both right in your assesments. But lets look at this in a different way.

What BIAL has built already cannot be undone.. But they will have to take a cue from here to PLEASE LISTEN to all the shortcomings talked about here and elsewhere so that the next phase is planned in a very constructive way. Be it aesthetics of the new terminals or the size and functionality - it has to be on par with any top airports in the world.

Just for information I was looking up some information yesterday on the web and found that Denver Intl has 33,000 acres (Yes its thirty three thousand acres) at its disposal for the airpot. All that we can ask BIA is to utilize more of the 4050 acres we have to make it a great one.
Devesh - your comparison chart (PDF Version) is awesome.

With all this said - like you all agree 23rd May will tell us where we stand.

Devesh's picture

Narayan .... visit report of BIAL

Hi Narayan

This is w.r.t to your article "http://sniperz11.blogspot.com/2008/04/bangalore-airport-daylight-dacoity.html" is not MY blog entry. My report is at http://aviation.deveshaga....

1. I have reported the trumpet is ready and congratulated L&T for a job well done.

2. Airport "people" confirmed to me that the visitors area would be restricted to the far corner as indicated in my report.

3. The chairs I saw were all occupied by CISF, and other airport staff. May be after Sniperz report, BIAL saw the folly of their ways :)

4. The canopy was put only after BIAL was forced by the airlines. BIAL did not put in out of love in their heart. And if you observe the canopy extends only on the one walkway till the entrance of the parking.

5. Yes, the views were good, but then, I was looking in full "passenger and auditor" mode.

6. The escalators appear okay to me.

7. This "swing" concept as implemented by BIAL is not good. Swing works well when wide partitions are used. Like in Hotel function rooms which they can divide. Here BIAL has just put narrow glass doors. I foresee traffic jams. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
narayan82's picture

Santsub....

If there is anything I want it is a Great Airport in bangalore! I do NOT defer on that opinion. My point being, that airports cannot be defined as World Class or Non-world class by opinions and aesthetics - as these are variable. I guess I am heading back to your last sentance - wait and we shall find out! Devesh - I guess as you pointed out my reply was to the author the other article! But since you did term it as "honest" - I do wish to clarify my views!
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
kbsyed61's picture

BIAL open to public scrutiny

Guys,

In a landmark judgment with far-reaching consequences on projects taken up under the Public-Private Partnership model, the State Information Commission ruled on Wednesday that Bangalore International Airport Ltd. (BIAL) is a “public authority”. The Commission has directed BIAL to appoint Public Information Officers and publicise them for the benefit of citizens.

For more details, pls read,

http://bangalorebuzz.blogspot.com/2008/05/bial-open-to-public-scrutiny.html

Courtsey: http://bangalorebuzz.blog...

Deccan Herald has also reported this news item

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/May152008/city2008051567998.asp 

Syed

Devesh's picture

Santsub ..... BIAL +

Hi Santsub

You put it very well. I have never advocated the closure of BIAL or even delay the opening. It is BIAL and MoCA that are insisting on closing HAL regardless of the lack of adequate capacity at BIA.

I take you to my comments on Tuesday, in TOI. “I am very disappointed at the government’s decision. I feel the decision has been made in haste without adequate inspection into the capacity issues plaguing BIA. I stand by my opinion. While BIA is a welcome addition to the infrastructure of Bangalore, it just does not have the capacity to serve the air-traffic of the city. Keeping HAL airport is a must. In fact, Bangalore has to start thinking of a third airport, let alone debate over two.”

Incidentally, I stumbled across an old news story of BIAL in 2006 announcing the capacity increase. I have written about it in my blog. See how numbers change since our memories fade. http://aviation.deveshaga...

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

Protest against closure of HAL Airport - Sat 27/May 4pm

Friends I have posted Rajendra Misra's message at http://bangalore.praja.in....

Please do read it.

Feel free to cast opinions, but remember I am just the messenger :))

It will be great if you show up to show your solidarity for HAL airport. Some inside information will be revealed in the press conference tomorrow. Look out for the papers on Sat morning.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
admin's picture

BIAL opening on May 23 - the press release

Got this press release from BIAL today, May 23 it is. They talk about a separate inauguration later.

Bengaluru International Airport Will Become Operational on Friday, May 23, 2008
CISF Takes Over Security of Bengaluru International Airport
Bangalore, May 16, 2008: Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) today announced that the Bengaluru International Airport will become operational on Friday, May 23, 2008 following approval from the Ministry of Civil Aviation. The airport will be formally inaugurated in the presence of the State and Central Government on a suitable date in the month of June 2008.
The switch to the new airport will take place at midnight (00:01 hours of May 23). All flights landing and departing after midnight will operate from the new airport and flights arriving before midnight (on May 22, 2008) and departing after midnight will also operate from the new airport.
In preparation for the launch of the Bengaluru International Airport, the CISF (Central Industrial Security Force) has been handed over the responsibility for security. In a formal ceremony held this week, the CISF team led by Digvijay Kumar Singh, Commandant, CISF was welcomed by Albert Brunner, CEO, BIAL. The CISF has been inducted into the new airport and 770 CISF personnel will be deployed at BIAL for airport security purposes. This number will increase to 1039 including the land side security.
In the first phase of security coverage, CISF will exercise access control to the Terminal Building and to the airside through control of the perimeter gates. A ring of security will be laid along the perimeter including manning of all the watch towers. The security cover will further be advanced on May 20, 2008 when the CISF will apply all security norms in compliance with the regulations laid down by the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security.
The Commandant, CISF assured BIAL that they will employ security procedures in sync with ICAO so that passenger satisfaction level is at par with international airports. In the coming months, the CISF at the new airport plans to be ISO 9001:2000 certified.
The CISF provides security to critical infrastructure as well as all the major centres of economic growth in India. It also protects the national assets and highly vital and sensitive installations which are exceedingly critical from a national perspective.
About Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL)
BIAL is a Public Limited Company under Indian Companies Act formed to build, own and operate Bangalore‘s Greenfield private sector-owned and operated airport – the Bengaluru International Airport. Private promoters hold a 74% stake in BIAL while the State holds the remaining 26%.
Devesh's picture

Need for GENUINE renegotiation

Mr Praful Patel
Hon’ble Union Minister for Civil Aviation
Government of India
New Delhi

May 13th 2008

Dear Mr Patel

Sub: Renegotiation of BIAL concession agreement

As you are aware, Bangalore City Connect Foundation, a multi-stakeholder platform of Bangalore’s citizens, filed a PIL in the Karnataka High Court, seeking the intervention of the court to keep the current HAL airport at Bangalore open, even after the new BIAL airport is inaugurated. Our arguments for this are driven by a variety of factors, including the significant issue of capacity constraints at the new airport, given the explosive growth of air traffic beyond original projections and the need to keep existing infrastructure available rather than being shut down.

The Karnataka High Court has directed that the parties to the original concession agreement should renegotiate their agreement so as to keep HAL airport open. This view has also been supported by the Supreme Court of India in its subsequent ruling.

Against the background of these two rulings, we at Bangalore City Connect were very confident that the parties involved would take sufficient due diligence to reach a consensus for a renegotiation, led by the Ministry of Civil Aviation, GoI. We are therefore extremely surprised and dismayed to find that after barely two meetings that were not even attended by all key participants, a hasty decision has been reached to close down the HAL airport and open the BIAL airport in the next few days. We also find that when we have asked for minutes of these deliberations, these “meetings” were not even minuted. This leads us to wonder about the nature of effort taken to renegotiate. It took several months for the original concession agreement to be reached, and barely a few hours to determine that no renegotiation was possible. We also find that the decision to open BIAL and shut down HAL on May 23rd, is being taken even before the parties present their findings to the High Court.

We find this cavalier attitude to such a brave matter extremely objectionable. It is not only a refutation of the directives of the Karnataka High Court and the Supreme Court, but also a repudiation of the sentiments of the citizens of Bangalore. We urge that this decision be immediately be changed, and that a rigorous process for renegotiation be established. This must include a detailed feedback of the views of all stakeholders, including HAL Airport and the airline operators. We also urge that an independent study be undertaken of the capacity of BIAL airport. These activities are critical inputs for any reasonable decision-making regarding renegotiations. We are very confident that both these activities can be undertaken within a period of a few weeks, and thereby not cause any undue delay to the opening of BIAL airport, especially when compared to the several months that have already been incurred. We wish to state clearly here that our position is not to delay the opening of BIAL, but rather to ensure that HAL is kept open at this time.

Sir, as you can see, we are extremely anguished at the decision taken yesterday on the matter of HAL airport, we urge you to display the right leadership in calling for an immediate meeting of all the parties concerned, and establishing a rigorous, transparent and equitable process for the renegotiation of the BIAL concession agreement. This will be the only way by which the public can be convinced that sufficient due diligence was taken to address this serious public issue in the city of Bangalore.

We are confident that our plea will fall on receptive ears, and look forward to your actions!

Sincerely

M Lakshminarayan
Chairman
Bangalore City Connect

Ramesh Ramanathan
Secretary
Bangalore City Connect

Copy to:
Mr Ashok Chawla, Secretary, Ministry of Civil Aviation, Government of India
Mr Sudhakar Rao, Chief Secretary, Government of Karnataka

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
kbsyed61's picture

People's representation in BIAL needed !

Devesh,

Thanks for sharing the letter wriiten to Shri. Praful Patel.

Now you are taking the shots where it matters. It is time we shake the MoCA. Even if we have to remind them about next general election, I would say NO SIN.

You might have seen my posts and all along I have been advocating for shaking up the powers in AAI, GOK and MoCA for their accountability in BIAL project.

Keep HAL running might mitigate the some of the woes of RK and others. But in order for future needs there is no other option except to go for the BIAL expansion right away. Why I am campagining for BIAL expansion is, BIAL has all that is needed for the expansion - LAND, Supporting infrastructure, approvals should be comparatively easier than any new project etc.

It is time for getting the right representation on BIAL so that:

1. Expansion of BIAL starts immediately.
  2. Expansion that covers the undoing of initial phase and accounts for all that needs for a good airport - 2nd runway, Passenger amenities in Terminal, ATC needs, staff needs, security setup, parking, Cargo needs, custom and immigration support etc.
  3. Connectivity - Focus should be in decongesting traffic in City that feeds to Bellary Road. Otherwise all your exit and entry points to NH-7 would become bottlenecks.

For this to happen, now BIAL should be open to suggestions and be willing to get public representation on board. This will not happen untill you and me start shaking up the political and bureacracy that BIAL listens to. Here there is no question of BIAL not listening. If they don't listen we have all tools - Politicians, Public support, Dharnas, Boycott of BIAL. General Electiosn are not too far.

Lets start asking for transparency and representation in BIAL. Objective should be clear - Immediate expanison of BIAL.

BIAL expansion has resources for Air-Travel future needs and this needs everybody attention.

As myself, presently I am based in Maryland, USA. If it helps I will go all the way in mobilizing protest letters from all the Karantaka Organizations. I am already working with local Kannada organization for lobbying for direct/1-stop Flights to Washington DC from Bangalore.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Syed

Devesh's picture

Write to Mr. Praful Patel

Yes Syed. I think organisations and individuals should write to Mr. Patel and tell him to expand BIA and keep HAL open. We should tell him that we are aware of the shortcomings and the Citizens of India will hold the UPA responsible.

His website is http://164.100.24.167:808...

His e-mail is praful@sansad.nic.in

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
narayan82's picture

BIAL - Expansion

If you have noticed around BIAL - construction has already started on expanding the terminals. The two walls on the sids of the terminal (with holes in them) are not fixed permanently, nor do they support the roof. They can be removed with relative ease, when the expansion happens. The advantage of this technology is that you do not have to wait for terminal 2 to be built completely before opening it. Please not Terminal 1 - the existing terminal is only 50% of the final size of Terminal 1. There will be approximately 3 - 4 roof elements on the left (towards the ancillary buildings) and almost 7 - 8 such elements on the other side. You can see the construction happening on both sides. Though we may find that RGIA has this more swanky large terminal building, I saw that the RGIA master plan is simply a replica of the existing terminal opposite it - while at BIAL, there is expansion on the sides and a connecting pier. I dont think BIAL are going to take a break from construction - they are going to go on at the same pace.
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Devesh's picture

The terminal is not the problem ..... the runway is

Narayan

Though it will take 1 year to expand, the terminal is not as great a problem area. The issue is the single runway. Check this graph. This is from BIAL data.

http://picasaweb.google.c...

BIAL is already at limit during peak hours. Where is the additional expansion going to come from ?

And see the comparison with the traffic movement at HAL. See the similarities. Traffic patterns do not change. If that was the case, HAL terminal could have spread the traffic across the day. In domestic traffic dominated airports in the world, this is the class W pattern of demand. Morning and evening peak hours take 50% of the total traffic.

BIAL capacity is 2733 passengers per hour. The average flight load out of Bangalore is about 96 passenger per flight. You do the math on the number of flights per hour. Also remember the max flights per hour is 30.

Does Bangalore have to change its habits to accomodate BIAL, or is BIAL here to service the needs of Bangalore as per Bangaloreans requirements. That my friend is Public Interest.

Add to this MONOPOLY. BIAL is already showing its strength and control over us by imposing the UDF, despite the Govt.'s numerous requests. And they will not compromise of UDF. The promoters have not put any additional funds in, even for the last terminal expansion. They will use the UDF to finance the expansion.

I am sorry, but I am sick and tired of sucessive governments taking money that I have worked hard for and squandering it.

We all rave about infrastructure in Bangalore and that we are focussing on the airport. Our government has already squandered Rs. 1600 cr on 46 roads leading to the airport. Obviously that money was diverted from other much needed projects. I am not willing to fund an additional Rs. 4000+ Cr largesse for a rail link. That money can be better utilised on more needed projects.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
kbsyed61's picture

2nd Runway !

Devesh,

If the issue is single runway, 2nd Runway should be the priority.  Even if it takes 24 to 36 months, why not start now. Why delay the efforts? If not today, we have to build the 2nd runway someday. Then why not today?

I agree with you on the High Speed dedictaed rail. It doesn't make any sense to have this high speed rail where it doesn't cover major pouplation. Instead go for the normal railway connectivity. That would also helps the Cargo/Frieght movement. 

BTW, how did the press conference go? Any updates on this?

I did see you in one of the photos that appeared in  "www.pic4news.com".

Syed 

kbsyed61's picture

Beacon of hope !

Narayan,

On the weekend filled with all the despair and frustration about BIAL start on May 23, you seems to be holding up that beacon of hope for BIAL. Your updates are really putting that hope that poor souls like me are looking for. Your posts are giving hope that all is not lost in the game called BIAL. There is still hope and still have oppurtunities for BIAL to bloom to its full potential.

Keep up the good job.

Syed 

santsub's picture

2nd Runway ! Syed

Syed

I am sure Devesh will answer this better. But the glitch in building the 2nd runway is clearance... from YEL Air base. It will hinder the airspace since the 2nd runway is to the south of the existing Runway :) - now - I had debated this with Devesh - but if he or anyone can answer... can we have BIAL build a Runway away from the North (Existing) Runway and then taxi ways for planes to reach the terminal then it should work. May be BIAL can give up some of its land and re-design the airport to handle this issue other wise we will be forced to shift YEL Airbase...

In another debate we did talk that major highways crisscrossed the north and south of airport. then we can build a bridge to connect the 2 parts of the airport like in Atl's 5th runway project and that should work.. but money involved is high here..

In a perfect dream of mine I had always thought BIAL had planned for 4 (2 parallel each) runways to accomodate more passengers as time progresses.. Dang! thats not the truth :)

Devesh's picture

2nd runway and future expansion at BIAL

Dear Sant and Syed

Herein lies the quandry. The only land available is to the south. The government procurred the 4000 acres and gave to BIAL.

The current runway is on the northern edge. As per international aviation safety norms the minimum separation between two runways is 1nm or almost 2km. To the north of the airport are roads, lakes, and Devanahalli. So this is not a viable option.

The runway to the south is the only option. But this is within 3nm of YEL. It is permitted by international aviation norms, but remember YEL is a training base, so it is possible for inaccurate flight paths. Hence the safety concerns. Given the past behaviour of AAI and BIAL, IAF is rightly concerned about getting muscled out.

And then there are concerns about Aero India. South of YEL is the township of Yelahanka, north is BIAL.

While this is addressable by outside agencies like public and government, what is not within our control is finance.

In 2006, when the terminal was expanded, the promoters did not put in one paisa of the additional Rs. 500+ Cr cost. They just took additional loans, and made the airport concessionaires (cargo terminals, restaurants, ground handlers, etc.) pay more security deposit.

Does this imply that the promoters are now unwilling/unable to put more investment, and only looking to extract profits ?

A second runway and terminal expansion will easy cost upwards of Rs. 1,000 Cr., and I honestly do not know if, but I suspect that, BIAL will use the UDF to finance the expansion. That will slow the pace of expansion. That is the most logical explanation I can come up with since BIAL talking about a second runway only in 2014 ?

I have posted a blog entry.

"On May 13th, I had visited the new Bengaluru International Airport being constructed by the BIAL consortium, and posted my visit report. Some BIAL officials called around wanting to find out who took me inside the airport. The reason -- they wanted to escort and show me around the airport.

I welcome BIAL sentiments and will visit BIAL anytime, at BIAL's invitation.

Industry and citizens have genuine concerns on the capacity and cargo facilities at the new airport. BIAL has not, effectively utilised multiple opportunities offered by Chambers of Commerce to allay these concerns.

Industry, including me, are not opposed to BIAL, but at the same time, we are not willing to blindly believe vague indications being offered by BIAL. Mr. Brunner, please take the time to sit down with us, allay our fears, give us specific data, clarify our interpretations.

Convince us on your airport, Mr. Brunner.
"

I hope BIAL and Mr. Brunner take up my offer.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD

Shift IAF YEL

I have been highlighting this for quite sometime. It is high time we took cognizance of the fact that we are in post 1991 Bengaluru and not in 1945 Bengaluru. Much of the army establishment occupy vast tracts of Land in Bengaluru not even remotely benefitting our economy.

For example, how many Kannadigas do they hire? And why on earth should they have only hindi and english as entrance exam languages in their recruitment process? Why not Kannada???

I have no problems with the Army, heck, i am a pro-right wing hawk myself. But we must take deep cognizance of the fact that we are living in different times.

Much of the land occupied by the army in CBD could easily be leased out to foreign country consultates like that of USA, UK, EU et al. This would transform the status of Bengaluru as the 'Capital of South India'.

Coming back to the point - i doubt the YEL does anything so high tech that it could be established there permanently. It can easily be allocated more land in Kolar or Chickaballapur.

Some military officers might raise concern that their families are established in Bengaluru. My response is that places like Chickaballapur are well within India and have as much facilities as required.

If they have such apprehension, then local kannadigas can be recurited from those places instead of these officers. 

narayan82's picture

yelahanka AFB - MOVE!

Thanks, syed - my belief if you start on a negative note you will continue to be on one (something I learned from my parents when I was a kid.) C'mon they have built us a good airport - almost on time - and lets rejoice atleast for the start! I do hope you plan a visit via BIAL soon! Remember Newton's law? Every Action has an equal and opposite reaction! Sometimes fighting against a mirror isnt the method I would reccomend. W.r.t to Yelahanka - well said Mcadambi - since 1991 we were aware of the second runway. We planned to move the AFB to Kolar. We still have time if we fight in the right direction. We can move the airbase before the second runway is built, and continue to have our airshows in Bangalore/Karnataka. Considering the amount of Land that will be avaiable along NHAI - the cost of relocating will be far less of a pinch. Instead we look for a smaller option - never allowing BIAL to gain full capacity and at the same time crowd HAL! How is this a long term solution?
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore

Time to act now

Thankfully, we have time and it is now. Shri A K Antony, the current Union Minister of Defence, is a very sane person and very open minded as well. If people are willing, we can make a presentation to him or petition him.

Time to do that is now. 

//Instead we look for a

//Instead we look for a smaller option - never allowing BIAL to gain full capacity and at the same time crowd HAL! How is this a long term solution?//

Some planners avoid very small details. This is at their own cost. Well, it is acknowledge that the growth of air traffic is about 2.5x of GDP growth rate. When planners take the overall national GDP growth into consideration, then they get about 15% growth in air travel.

But air travel especially in Bengaluru is growing at 30% because the 'LOCAL GDP' growth of Karnataka and Bengaluru is more than 10-15%.

Even employment in the IT industry is growing, albeit slowly now, at around 20% p.a in Bengaluru. What is more, the IT industry is moving up in scale these days. You just had Thomson Asia establish it's R&D unit in Bengaluru a few days back.

When such high value growth occurs in the IT industry, then there will be MORE need for international connectivity than in the normal 'code coolie' departments.

BIAL can easily serve areas around Whitefield, Thanisandra, Rachenahalli, Manyatha, Sahakarnagar, Yelahanka and northern wards of BBMP. Traffic from this region itself will be enough for BIAL to expand over the years because of growing prosperity which is a driver of air travel.

It is OK to have HAL for southern wards like Jayanagar, Banashankari, BTM Layout, Koramangala. Already HAL cannot exceed certain limits and it is so close to the CBD. 

narayan82's picture

PILs

Sure! I dont fully disagree. But we have signed an agreement in out own blood - that disallows the airport! I have listed PILs that in my view would prove more useful then the ones currently in court... 1. A PIL againt the Govt./BDA/BMP/NHAI on the new roads leading to the airpot, thier delay and speedy completion. 2. A PIL to move Yelahanka AFB out of its current zone to a less congested area. 3. A PIL to get the Train service/Metro between the airport and city started quickly 4. A PIL to develop a non-stop signal free ring road that will benefit people not only to the airport but those who unwillingly and unneccesarily enter the city everyday. 5. A PIL against all encroachments that are against the highway to the airport - and a PIL to keep them away in future (maybe plant trees as suggested) 6. A PIL for the CAT terminals that were promised. If we fight for these and put our energies to making BIAL more accessible - BIAL will feel the pressure to keep up with the users and expand quickly cater to the growing capacity. Who knows - maybe 1 year later BIAL will offer to run HAL airport if they cant meet the capacity. Maybe they will work extra time, extra hard (as the trumpet interchange was done) to increase the terminal size! Maybe the second runway will come up earlier! But if pressure is applied in the right direction - I feel it will be more compelling for improvement for a private monoply than a competitor in the public sector!
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Naveen's picture

Mcadambi - Terrific !

Mcadambi - You are on the money when you say shift the army & defense areas outside bangalore. My late father was in the services & he had the same ideas when in 1991, bangalore began seeing huge growth. I think they are occupying huge tracts of land that are vital for the city's needs & must be told to move out. In cities such as Hyderabad & even Ranchi, various central govt entities have been shown the door as land within cities was required for development of infrastructure, road widening, etc.

Likewise, if it obstructs expansion of BIAL, the Yelahanka air base, & with it the areas at Jalahalli (east & west) must be forced to move out as they occupy excessive land that is vital for the city. The city, on it's part must use these for infrastructure & state govt use only, not start selling it to private parties for putting up malls & discos !

Land occupied by the army within CBDs can, as you suggest be put to use for consulates & trade offices & to build a convention center (between Domlur-Adugodi) & exhibition /trade centers (at MG Road, at Parade grounds & adjoining military land).

Concerns of military officers is secondary - the land is far better utilised for these activities than to satisfy the needs of a few defense personnel.

However, I do not agree with the stand that HAL airport must be shut down - the reality today is different. Air traffic has increased several times fold, & we must look at this angle too instead of wasting so much effort on arguing the merits & demerits of BIAL vis-a-vis HAL. A vital piece of infrastructure is being shut down & this is not desirable when the city (& the country) are woefully short of the same.

In addition - i'd be really

In addition - i'd be really happy if KSCA Chinnaswamy stadium is shifted out of the CBD. It is just a nightmare to drive through CBD when IPL matches are on!

Even the land on which the stadium is sitting belongs to the Army. KSCA and the Army are fighting over it since the former blatantly violates lease terms and conditions.

http://www.hinduonnet.com...

The important rider is that if the army surrenders all the lands inside the city to the Government of Karnataka, then the latter should use it in a way that is not diverted to private use. This means no auctioning those lands to private parties.

IMO, with the exclusion of Manekshaw parade grounds, much of the army land in CBD can be used for Consulates of foreign countries thereby energising the stature of Bengaluru. 

narayan82's picture

Army Out? Maybe not!

An often stated statement with peers when we pass central Bangalore is "Thank god for an army, or the traffic jams would engulf us completely!" or "If nto for the army - forget the trees!" Its true - a lot of the beauty in central bangalore is because of the Army. Sometimes while riding near The officers Mess near Walton Road, I often stop to admire its charm. Set amongst tress in a bit of colonial architecture its a pleasure to see! The same on the road connecting Trinity Circle and Airport road - if the army land is turned commerical that road would be a nighmare! In commerical and Bangalore's larger interest it might make sense for the army to move out - but then what it would be replaced by is the question? If it were to be replaced by malls, apartments and IT parks I say hang on! Our city is already over booked and we are just leading ourselves to another disaster. We talk about nostalgia - I would cry if all those buildings and trees were gone! There is a certain upkeep, maintainance and order that I really appriciate about the army. It might not be swanky - but it's much cleaner and maintained far better than government properties. if Govt does take over - what does it do with it? Can we say we turn them on all into parks such as cubbon park? Or can we say not a single tree will be cit and not a single wall will be demolished? That would be nice.Maybe we demolish only the boundary walls and let people smell fresh air! Every city has a heritage - a nostalgia, which gives birth to those citizens who love thier city and fight for it. Dont take it all away :( ! Ofcourse such an oppurtunity wont be missed by the land sharks and vested interests - its not that the govt. is clean of that!
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Devesh's picture

Shifting Yelanhanka - An absurd idea

I have spoken about the benefits of Yelanhanka AFB and will only say, please do not promote such absurd ideas.

Yelahanka is the ONLY training base for IAF transport aircraft in India and a Rs. 1000 Cr + investment. I am not willing to spend more money to make money for politicians.

BIAL came after Yelahanka. Why did the BIAL consortium not think of this when making its master plans ? 

Using this yardstick, Government should be able to bulldoze any of our houses to give us nice wide roads.  Are you willing for this tit for tat ?

Why are you not demanding back the grossly excessive land given to BIAL. 

I am shocked to see there are people today, in Bangalore, so narrow minded, to judge a person or organisation by reservation and parochialism. They are willing to sell this city to foreign white skins, while judging the Indian Armed Forces!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
narayan82's picture

and still..

Since 1991 we planned the airport - since then we haven't considered this, but only now after 2500 crores worth structure is brought up do we want to handicap it! I will do my research and post again soon!A little low on knowledge on facts w.r.t this topic!
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
blrsri's picture

227 years of Sappers

Drive around Ulsoor lake and you will notice writing in bold letters about the Madras Sappers regiment completing more than 200 years..

It all started with defence that we have a blr what it is now..HAL..BEML..NAL..DRDO..ADA..AF Trg cmd..ISRO

Lets go throw all those people out and build embasies which are much more fortified than what CISF can do

..and lets make a bee line to watch big fat ladies in swanky embassy cars move into restricted areas

..and lets cross check our paperwork anxiously ready to beg for a H1

..lets shut down Kendriya Vidyalayas and build malls instead

..why leave the command hospital..lets make it a multilevel parking lot

..hey how about a F1 circuit at Yelahanka AFB..afterall the tarmacs good..

Shift YEL

"Change your opinions, keep your principles. Change your leaves, keep intact your roots" - Victor Hugo

It is high time Bengaluru understands this. The entire city is not a museum to keep things as they are. We need to change and keep up with present trends and times.

I do not want to sweat and be half eaten by mosquitoes in Chennai when going to consulates there. It is a great travesty that the city that has the best economic potential in the coming decades is devoid of international embassies and missions. Mind you, not all are white skinners.

At the outset, i wish to declare that i have no animosity towards my country's armed forces. What i am up against is the parochialism they practice by insisting on hindi and english to the exclusion of millions of others who do not speak the language.

The constitution of India mandates that states can have local language requirements for even central government jobs stationed in the state. The Government of Karnataka has not implemented the Sarojini Mahishi Committee report and is just backtracking for fear of "high command" retaliation.

All the claims of Yelahanka AFB spending Rs. 1000 Cr+ is just bogus given the flying coffins and outdated aircrafts they operate, or for that matter even try to operate.

There is really no problem if YEL is shifted to Chickballapur or Doddaballapur.

tango08's picture

Foreign airlines operate more flights during day

People wishing to fly abroad now have more options of travelling during day time, with several foreign airlines starting additional flights during these hours for passengers' convenience following India's insistence.

Civil Aviation Ministry has been pressing the international carriers to do away with night services and operate additional flights during day time and the effort has started bearing fruit now.

http://www.hindu.com/theh...

One of the assumptions that drive BIAL's capacity claims is around the pattern of airline schedules with domestic flights operating during day and international flights during night. Given that international airlines are now open to operating flights during India, doesn't this further puncture BIAL's capacity claims?

kbsyed61's picture

2nd Runway !

Devesh and others,

Thank you very much for enlighting all of us on the naunces of Airports, Runways etc.

Devesh, from your current and previous posts it seems that 2nd runway is not totally ruled out. Basically it is a turf issue and bit of air safety issue due to close proximity of Yel airforce base.

In your previous posts you had mentioned that in the worst case scenario,  2nd Runway can be put to use for half its capacity i.e 15 flights per hour instaed of 30 flights.

What is needed is combination of political leadership and professional expertise to determine the fate of 2nd runway. I am sure it is not an already closed chapter.

Devesh, I am a very optimistic person. I am sure you might have figured it out from my posts. But lately on BIAL's saga, I am having the apprehension that BIAL might meet the same fete as "C-DOT". Public sector (ITI) individual interests in collision with private corporate made sure that C-DOT doesn't remain on the horizon. In the end we know where both C-DOT and ITI are.

That reminds  me of a couplet in Urdu

"HUM IDHAR KE RAHE NA UDHAR KE, NA SANAM MILE NA SANAM KADE"

(Neither we get here nor there, Neither we get our beloved nor the temple) 

Regards,

Syed 

narayan82's picture

Night Flying

You see International flights have to leave Bangalore at appropriate times to land in Europe. Widebodies sometimes have issues with landing in the night as many airports do not allow large planes at night. But i am sure it will make a difference to the eastern headed flights.
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Devesh's picture

MCADAMBI................

Lets get a couple of things correct, before going off on a fantasy trip.

The foreign countries do not want to open a Consulate in Bangalore!!!!!!!!!!

In the Bangalore Chamber we have asked even the Ambassadors, and have been told this. So we have MOUs with many countries trade offices and some countries, to recommend granting visas.

For economic activity various country's trade offices in Bangalore are enough. Countries are using Visa processing services which you pay for. So why go to Chennai for a Visa ?

The US is opening a new consulate in Hyderabad not Bangalore, out of their choice., not because no land was available in Bangalore, but because they have more suspect applicants from Andhra.

As far as language is concerned. Think of what you are proposing, before going all over the place with your language tirade. This is the Republic of India, not Karnataka. Hindi is the defacto national language. It is spoken/understood by a significant majority of THE COUNTRY. The Armed Forces have to recruit, train, deploy, operate, and fight, across the country, at a moments notice. They need a common language for effective communication and coordination, Given their level of national pride, they prefer Hindi over English.

The investment in Yelahanka is over Rs 1000 Cr. Additionally, I want Aero India, in Bangalore, and all the investment and business in aviation the show brings. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

Foreign Day Flights

Hi Tangoo

Check out my blog. I posted the full story two days ago. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD

Devesh

This comment has been moved here.

// Given their level of

silkboard's picture

Hindi and Bihar ??

narayan82's picture

back to runways...

Does anyone have a figure for the Number of Acres Occupied by IAF at the Yelahanka AFB? A though - if it is not already so, why nto re-align the iAF runway to be parallel to BIAL's? The runway is far greater than the 2 kms minimum seperation distance. Why shoudl this then affect the second runway at BIAL? Repeat - Heathrow used 2 runways for 68 million pax - is that correct?
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Devesh's picture

Runways and Heathrow

By coincedence ALL runways in Bangalore are 09-27. HAL, YEL, BIA. :)

I think IAF should occupy about 500-750 acres.

Heathrow has 11% domestic traffic balance international. International is always large aircraft. Bangalore has 81% domestic which use small aircraft.

Also Heathrow has extremely high automation, and 4 separate approach and 4 departure vectors. BIA should have 2.

Many things go to make up capacity. In my article http://aviation.deveshaga... I have done a technical detailing. The max capacity for BIA runway is 15 million passengers.

---------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
tango08's picture

Hindi is the defacto national language?

kbsyed61's picture

Sir M Visveshwariah

narayan82's picture

Runways Contd...

"By coincedence ALL runways in Bangalore are 09-27. HAL, YEL, BIA. :)" - Isnt that because they are aligned to the wind direction? I would really wait to hear from BIAL on this issue. Instead of writing a heave languaged forceful letter I belive a bit of support and kindness might work :) ! I will as I said post a new article in a few days after I complete my ongoing self-initiated reserach. P.s: Please, if its ok, can we create a new topic for the Hindi/National language?
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
s_yajaman's picture

Landing in BIAL on May 24

I will be landing on May 24 into BIAL.  Will give you a first hand account of how things are.  I plan to take a BMTC bus back to town.

I expect things to be chaotic for the first 1-2 weeks.  That will provide enough fodder for the BIAL critics.  Chep Lap Kok (new HK) had an absolutely disastrous start in 1999 with bags getting lost, etc. 

My last landing into HAL was on May 16.  Same old story.  Long taxi queue.  No autos at the stand.  Went out and took an auto home.  The chaos near the air-cargo (MSIL) complex was unbelievable. 

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

nijavaada's picture

nice discussion

Hi All.. this is indeed a nice discussion going on in Praja.. and I have been off this page for sometime now, gives me a feeling of missing something interesting!

Now that there is talk about BIAL and its inauguration on the 23rd.. I must say that things are happening on BIAL's quarters at light speed. Constructive work on one side, and business decisions on the other side. The latter, is where lies the premise of my concern in this matter.

BIAL stands on approx. 4500 acres of land that once belonged to Karnataka farmers of the land in that area. They have lost their land for a not so comfortable sum, while they sold it based on the plan that BIAL offered - to provide these land losers jobs in the project and henceforth in its operation. This hasn't happened TILL DATE! Around 1000 families are now adversely affected because of this.

BIAL plans to cater to 12 million passengers within a few months of beginning operation, and then its plan is to go until 20 million within a few years. What that means is a creation of employment in the range of 12000 to 20000 per year as time progresses. And these are jobs directly related to the airport  per-se. There'd be an equal number of jobs created indirectly (by the winners of various tenders) outside of the campus. There have been almost no attempts made to employ Kannadigas from within Karnataka for these jobs. BIAL has not revealed how many Kannadigas have really been employed among the 12000 odd jobs that it has created in its premises. Also how many of the tenders have really been given out on the same condition - of employing Kannadigas in the services those companies offer. Imagine - they have even given away the Taxi services to some firm in Mumbai, and have made no condition on them to employ locals for their jobs. Drivers of HAL association are all going to lose jobs!!

BIAL needs to behave in a responsible way and answer responsibly to the people - now that it has been declared open to RTI. We as the responsible Praje of Bengaluru need to raise our voices against such indifference exhibited by BIAL towards the repeated , and fair demands made by localites.

-Nijavaada

-Nijavaada
nijavaada's picture

@ Devesh, Tango and Mcadambi

-Nijavaada
s_yajaman's picture

Agree with you on this Nijavaada

blrsri's picture

road use dynamics

we are all concentrating on basically one road to BIA..the bellary road..

This is a fine approach after Hebbal flyover as the road is pretty good and its a NH..but reaching the flyover itself will be a challenge..

There will be many people using many other roads to reach this place and the main ones being the ring roads themselves..with trucks plying on these roads it sure is gonna be one big mess..

So getting the Tumkur road connected to Hosur road via NICE PRR will be very vital to better the approach to BIA! Hope the guv's office get the work on this road start after the elections and the road will be usable soon..extra land? let the courts decide on that..lets have the road and let NICE have the toll..

With all this the only viable option that is needed for a in-time reaching to the airport is a train and we need this badly..hope the new govt will be able to start work on this immediately as it takes power!

s_yajaman's picture

Armed forces need a common language

nijavaada's picture

comment abt army - needs thought.

-Nijavaada

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum