Skip to Content

BIAL launch post-poned by 24 hours

Hot breaking news, on Praja first.

BIA launch has been postponed by 24 hours. The new launch date is 00:01 24/May/2008.

Stay Tuned for information.

----------------------------

[{Admin} Here is the press release we got from BIAL for this.]

May 21, 2008 6:15 pm New Bengaluru International Airport Opening postponed by 24 hours This is to announce that Bengaluru International Airport Limited (BIAL) has just received notification from the Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA). According to the notification, "the Central Government hereby notifies that the Bangalore International Airport at Devanahalli would be commissioned w.e.f. 00.01 hours of 24th May, 2008, instead of w.e.f. 00.01 hours of 23rd May 2008 as notified earlier". The switch to the new airport will take place at midnight (00:01 hours of May 24). All flights landing and departing after midnight will operate from the new airport and flights arriving before midnight (on May 23, 2008) and departing after midnight will also operate from the new airport. Commenting on the sudden notification, Albert Brunner, CEO, BIAL said, "We are taken by surprise. In fact, we have just closed a press conference communicating our preparedness for tomorrow. However, there is nothing we can do at this point. All our efforts are now towards minimizing passenger and airline inconvenience owing to this postponement."

narayan82's picture

aaargh!

only happens here! its rather frusturating! In fact i had taken bets on the airport openeing on the 23 rd :) people actually betted against me! what could be the reason?
Narayan Gopalan
User Interaction Designer
Bangalore
shas3n's picture

Postponement - at EC's directive?

According to this MSN report , the date has been postponed at Election Commission's suggestion.

-Shastri

-Shastri

Nags123's picture

Still we dont know what

Still we dont know what hurdles are in store. Already one x-high court judge told it is illegal to open BIAL.
santsub's picture

OMG!

I just cant beleive this - AGAIN! and what are they going to bring on 24th to stop it further from opening?? DUH!

kbsyed61's picture

R K Misra's complaint to EC

It could be due to a complaint lodge by R K Misra with Election commision. Here is the scoop on that. We know .......not against BIAL.

" TALE OF TWO AIRPORTS
EC moved against BIA opening
R K Misra Alleges Announcement Is Against Model Code Of Conduct
Anshul Dhamija | TNN

' ...In a written complaint to the EC, R K Misra, founder member of the Indian Council for Public Private Partnership and also the winner of The Times of India’s Lead India initiative stated, “Immediately prior to the first round of polls held on May 10, an announcement was made by the Centre that negotiations with BIAL are going on to keep the HAL airport open, with up to 80-seater planes being allowed to fly from HAL airport. This decision came as a big relief and created a positive opinion in the minds of voters towards the governing party ......."

narayan82's picture

oh no!

I hope thats not true. Sad to see individuals postponing such big projects
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Naveen N's picture

[sarc on] "Pro HAL" != "Anti

[sarc on] "Pro HAL" != "Anti BIAL"...now where have we been hearing that [sarc off]

Look at the temerity of an individual, backed by a media house (the news quoted is from TNN), to try to postpone the opening of BIAL. I'm sorry to say this but any doubts I had that this "Pro HAL" campaign has no negative agenda have been washed away reading this. And calling others "armchair critics" on top of that.

hari's picture

Don't have words to curse

this bas**** and then they have the audacity to say that they are not against opening the airport.

Looks like these outsiders are not for anything that would make the city better..

Devesh's picture

BIAL ..... Delay due to EC

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding.

Give the man a cigar. You ARE good Syed. You hit the reason right on the head.

And I am not being sarcastic. Its a genuine compliment. Sitting halfway across the world, you accurately assessed the macro picture.

The one concern that I have. The election gets over on 22nd. On 23rd the EC is going to look at the situation. Lets suppose the EC says, wait till an elected government is formed and wait for their approval. And if we get in to a hung assembly, then BIAL is definitely pushed to June.

That is something most regretable, and even though I am in favour of keeping HAL open in parallel, I am also in favour of an early opening of BIA. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

Hari and Naveen ........

Guys, I know I am stepping in to the firing line, but I know RK Misra, and I can tell you, he not in favour of delaying BIAL.  This is an EC and GoI decision, and let us not blame RK for this.

Cursing somebody for an incidental action is definitely not befitting the high intellectual level at Praja.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

Cargo collapse

Just for the information of Praja.

Despite the claims of Mr. Brunner, the sad fact is that BIAL was just not ready. There was feverish work going on at BIA when I visited it on Tuesday, and today, I got inside information, that things were just not ready. Both at the passenger terminal as well as the cargo terminal.

In fact, cargo suffered a total collapse. Against a normal 1,000 export shipments per day, only 5 shipments were cleared today.

BIAL has 29 May very nicely locked up, but in my humble opinion, made the very unwise decision to advance to 23 May. All the people were caught off guard and are completely unprepared.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
kbsyed61's picture

BIAL needs approval from Sate Government !

Devesh,

Thanks for your compliments. 

Technically, does BIAL needs state government approval? I can understand EC's hold on BIAL due to elections but this new sate government approval seems little out of bounce. if it is true, then state government powers to be can pull the strings of BIAL. Yeah, that depends on which side of the BIAL is our state government.

Syed 

kbsyed61's picture

Clarification Needed !

Devesh,

Could you pls confirm whether the news about R K Misra's complaint to EC is correct or not? Also if you have any inside news pls do share with us. That way everybody will know the correct news.

Syed 

Nags123's picture

Again some tantrum by IT

Again some tantrum by IT honchos of bangalore lead by some social activists? Why people complaining EC only against BIAL they can complain on other topics like distributing money/illegal liquor..etc why only BIAL or some more conspirancy to post as much as possible & somehow get a stay order from court during that time ..?

hari's picture

Not Constructive

Devesh,

I appreciate all your posts out here.  I am following your postings, but every one of these individuals (rk Mishra, Mazumdar, you included) profess that you are not against opening BIAL but you are using every possible avenue out there to not allow its opening because once it is opened it is a done deal.

You know what, why don't we just offer everything to you on a platter and just keep HAL open- scrap BIAL. Will these great individuals stop whining. I don't think so.

I like my city, I hate the state of infrastructure but going after BIAL - when infact they are probably the only entity in that state to have executed an infrastructure project successfully in time - is probably the worst thing any intellectual can do. 

If Mr Mishra can sleep peacefully at Night for what he has done - God Bless him

Mithun's picture

RKM's efforts

RKM's actions appear to give the impression that he has taken the BIAL-HAL issue personally. What is achieved by postponing its opening by one day? It will be great if he uses the influence, backing and energy he has into giving complaints, organizing protests for other bigger issues such as 1. road + rail connectivity to the new airport OR 2. Bangalore metro rail OR 3. BMIC. 4. Another runway for BIA.

Campaign for moving YEL

Visitors to praja know very well that i have and still tirelessly campaign for shifting YEL in favour of BIAL. What i also support is the retainment of HAL. RKM does on the latter and has no comments on the former or rather is selectively ignorant about them.

BIAL has utterly failed in cargo front. Check today's "The Hindu":

http://www.hindu.com/2008...

BIAL's ignorance of such a crucial element of cargo just reveals the incompetency of it's management. Sorry to say this, but these are facts. 

tsubba's picture

keep it impersonal

folks, keep it impersonal and objective please. i am going to rant off in abstract, bear with me. as menon sir has painstakingly pointed out, the mere fact that people get involved is itself a giant leap for bengaloriga kind. again, as menon sir pointed, opinions are multipolar and it cuts both ways. ideas we can diss till the techies come home, but there is no point in problematizing personalities. honestly, what are we (and they) going to achieve by dissing people? the danger with taking on people, rather than issues is we make hasty assumptions about people. ms. shaw's repartee is an example of that. whatever it was she flung it landed on her face. he didn't give a mark anthony speech but the slice was as decisive as that of an indian wootz wielded by salaaluddin. being open does not mean taking it to the streets.
santsub's picture

BIALs New Website

kbsyed61's picture

Lets be gracious in opposition also !

Guys,

Lets be gracious in our discussions and opposing views also. I totally agree with 'Tarlesubba' that discussion should be focussed on issues not the personalities.

Even in this issue of one more postponement of BIAL and RKM's petition to EC, lets not jump the gun. 

So far variuos news items suggests nothing concrete. Some of the reasons that are talked in this are:

1. EC postponed it due to Elections

2. State govt is not ready for extra police security the BIAL needs for opening,

3. Things are not yet ready at BIAL site

4. State Govt fears that there could be protest, dharnas on opening day

5. And what not, only GOD knows better.

Therefore holding RKM directly responsible might not be a correct thing. Yes, the Pro-HAL campaign might have contributed to much of this BIAL start mess. They can not abdicate themselves of this co-lateral damage they might have dealt on BIAL.

This is like story of Knife and the kharbooza (Cantaloupe). Whether knife falls on kharbooza or Kharbooza falls on knife , loss is Kharbooza's. And knife doesn't escape the charge of cutting the Kharbooza.

It is like killing 100s of Iraqi in colateral damage that too in persuit of Saddam Hussain. 

Lets wait for the truth, before we fix responsibility.

Syed 

Blrwellwisher's picture

Postponement !!!!! Not Again..........

I am not sure if any Pro HAL lobby had anything to do with it, I just hope the new airport opens tommorrow, Its a prestigeous project we should give it a fair go before forming any opinion. I am sure it will only get better once it opens. Hope there are no more postponements.

-Blrwellwisher

kbsyed61's picture

Has information, but needs a different look !

Even though the new website is rich in information, but needs a relook. Somehow it did not impress me.
Devesh's picture

Syed ..... clarifications on State Govt. and RK Misra

Dear Syed

As you so rightly pointed out, while BIAL does not need approval of the state government, it will ultimately need the cooperation of who ever is in power.

With regards to RK, I spoke to him very briefly, he said that the delay was by the EC due to his complaint. However he did not divulge too many details.

There are two "hurdles" that I can see coming up in the next 12 months for BIAL and their allies in Government. (1) Competition. The exclusivity clause may be struck down under the MRTP/Competition act and (2) Permission from MoD for the second runway.

I put before Praja these two hypotheticals. However, we have discussed the MoD issue so lets focus on MRTP. What will happen if BIA commences, and a month or two later, HAL airport is re-opened under MRTP ?

The Chinese have a saying .... "May you live in interesting times". The next 6 months are sure going to be interesting. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

Linking HAL closure to BIA opening

Hari

The aspect that puzzles me, is why people, especially at Praja, who have shown great incisiveness, link our desire to keep HAL open with delaying of BIA.

Please call Mr. V.P. Baligar, Principal Secretary, Commerce and Industries Department, GoK, and also a Director on the board of BIAL, and ask him if I have not been pushing him for an early opening of BIA, while at the same time pushing for keeping HAL open.

I repeat again -- We want BIA open ASAP, as also HAL. Rakesh has summed up the stand very well here.

Why link the two ? Or more importantly, who is driving the linking of these two ? Certainly not us.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Photoyogi's picture

Reading between the lines

Hi Devesh, from your above comment i was forced to read between the lines. Not some thing that i quite enjoy.

//quote
With regards to RK, I spoke to him very briefly, he said that the delay was by the EC due to his complaint. However he did not divulge too many details.//unquote

//quote
The Chinese have a saying .... "May you live in interesting times". The next 6 months are sure going to be interesting. //unquote

Since you are close to RKM can you please clarify what the complaint was. To us commoners, From your post It looks like the delay is initiated by the so called "keep HAL open guys" and its going to push for another 6 months time.

==
Disclaimer : dont have any intent of rubbing people on the wrong side, just seeking some clarifications.

==

-- Praveen Sundaram AkA PhotoYogi

-- PhotoYogi

Blrwellwisher's picture

BIAL Website

Saw the new BIAL website, the information ticker which tells the passengers about the opening date scrolls little too fast to my liking. Y'day I had a look at the old website in the informaton ticker there "Bengaluru" was spelt as "BANGALARU", not sure if anyone looks into all these at BIAL. Infact I did mail them to bring to their notice about the spelling mistake.

Mohan

Devesh's picture

BIA's Cargo Failure

BIAL's ignorance of such a crucial element of cargo just reveals the incompetency of it's management. Sorry to say this, but these are facts.

Mcadambi, you are right in your statement. I have been probably the only voice in the state task force, harping on cargo. I made this comment in my article.

"45% of Bangalore's total trade, over Rs. 50,000 Crores, is sent as air cargo every year. The air cargo complex at BIAL is not fully ready. Only Menzies aviation warehouse is fully ready. AI-SATS is not. In any case, these two operators only service the airlines. BIAL is now doing fire-fight planning, erecting office facilities for the over 350 cargo and customs agents who service the needs of industry, but that is at least one year away. BIAL can look to the existing warehouse operators MSIL and AI JWG as an interim warehousing facility. India spends over 13% of its product costs in logistics costs compared to less than 6% in the developed world, which BIAL represents."

I have referenced cargo in my other articles below. I do not know if you have read it. I invite Praja to read it as well.

http://aviation.deveshaga...

Most of us take things for granted. The value of goods sent by air cargo, is now crossing Rs. 60,000 Cr. Cargo is the life-line for a land-locked Bangalore. Given the "higher value" and perishable nature of goods sent from Bangalore, we as residents, do not appreciate the critical role air cargo plays in our economy, and the wretched conditions, air cargo and customs agents have to work under. This is the hidden underbelly of air transport, and it is conveniently brushed under the carpet, and we are ALL responsible.

If air cargo fails, it directly impacts the economy of Bangalore. We should keep this proximity in mind, considering that today an economic impact anywhere in the world, produces ripples in our city. This thud is hitting us directly.

Just for your information, yesterday, against a normal clearance of 1,000 shipments per day, only 5 shipments have been cleared.

Air cargo is getting deferred. That means that the delivery of goods, and the resultant cash flow, is getting disrupted.

We are part of this city. We ALL, will feel the effects.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
tsubba's picture

fundamental questions

thanks devesh for bringing in some directed & pointed leads to the discussion with references to MoD & exclusivity. but before these two, there are more fundamental questions that remain unanswered: f1) is it in the best interest of the city that the site at devanahalli is squandered? f2) what is the best way to realize the full potential of the site at devanahalli? f3) what are the obstacles that can prevent devanahalli from fully developing? towards these how does squandering the trump card of HAL in an opening gambit, when it is really not necessary, work in bangalore's favour? i have no other interest than in making those 4000 acres work for bangalore. if we can truly make those 4000 acre woods work for bangalore, we will have fixed a significant number of issues for which bangalore gets flak and i am not just talking about roads and traffic. the above, IMO, is fundamental and merits pointed clear headed discussion, before any thing else gets addressed. tangential legacy rant: points about exclusivity, cargo, impact on aerospace industry, transparency and UDF are generally appreciated. we, including you, have raised flags on all of these issues. but, what is disappointing is the below the belt hits like BIAL's financials by hal-walas(pardon the spoonerism) currently, i am no businessman. but i did spend my formative years as an apprentice at my father's small business. one of the fundamental things i learnt was that nobody, irrespective of their theories about money, ever puts in 'cash from their pockets' upfront into any venture. i will be way out of my league talking money and business to hal-walas here, but i can tell that taking shots at financials is way below the belt. ps: i wish you stop addressing the praje here in third person. as much as there can be a us in a platform, you are one of us.
Devesh's picture

Praveen ...... don't read too much in between the lines :)

The EC apparently has not indicated any reasons to MoCA or BIA. They might look in to this matter on 23rd, but only the EC knows. 

I also do not know have details of the complaint, other than what is reported in the papers. I reproduced RKM's article in TOI on my blog. http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com/2008/05/bial-re-negotiation-how-govt-hookwinked.html. 

I honestly do not have more information. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
tsubba's picture

bial website

mohan, agree. it sure can use some more functional jingchak. currently, i cant see clearly, but it does appear that the format lacks "depth" and clear separation and that is why it appears dull.
blrsri's picture

jump the gun

Why does BIA junp the gun always..the last time it was when the ATC was not ready..they went ahead and announced may 11th which was struck down by the EC..

This time its by 24 hours..these changes does not reflect right..we announce a date and stick to it then..and this should be in consultation  with other stake holders and external agencies having effect on it..

narayan82's picture

running around in circles

I have noticed that we keep harping on a few points, then after a point jump to another topic and then eventually land up at where we started without any solutions!

It started with connectivity:
Even the courts agreed that it cannot be an issue. Its a faint moan that we hear, and thats it. Its not the real issue, and we know who is at fault here.

Then came Cargo:
Finally we agred almost any setup at BIAL is better than the JWS and MSIL facilities at HAL. We did also agree that it is temporary and Airindia-SATS and MEnzies Bobba are woring over time and will pull it off by the 29th.

Then came Capacity issue:
I clearly remember a strong reply to my post saying "Narayan, I am NOT woried about terminal capacity it is runway capacity I am worried about. We all know BIAL is modular and can be expanded easily." We also agreed that is a terminal like HAL with a capacity of 3.6 million can hold 10 million then BIAL should have a problem holding 15-18 million! Now we go back sayaing there is no place inside!

The only real issue - Runway Capacity.
It could be an issue. BIAL cliams it will stand up to the expectations - why don't we give them a chance? You think ther aren't goverened by any authority - what about IATA and the 3.5 rating? Unique has 3.9 rating I am sure they know how to handle this. Atleast let them try! After all the govt isnt demolishing HAL airport!

Please read the TOI - and instead of reading the main articles by prominent leaders and interviews, please read the letters to editors.

Everyday there is a citizen opposing TOI's stance. Yet we come out and say it a Public Opinion. I'm sorry, I dont see this argument, in fact I just see right through it. Its not convincing and I dont see the cliamed support. Its just that some people with a lot of media coverage seemed to be portraying the entires cities views! Its blood Boiling! Forget the government - I've lost faith in Media!

And the fact about people who oppose them being Armchair Critics - Nuff 'Said. If you dont suport them and still are an active worker - your an armchair critic! Whatever happened to respecting people for thier opinions!

Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
karihaida's picture

This is my first post at

This is my first post at praja and I have to congratulate all the praja folks for the excellent work you folks are doing.

Narayan, surprised to know that you had faith in the media to begin with :)

In one of the other threads Mr. Rakesh KR says "- Many frequent fliers want HAL airport to continue due to various factors including proximity to city centre, limitations of BIAL due to underestimated traffic and yet to come up road connectivity. Like it or not." and "As for pro-HAL , please be aware the drive is mainly from air travelers side and many of the business/industry captains happen to be frequent fliers thereby extending their full support". At least he is very honest about it. The "FOX"ised media packages these "frequent fliers" as the voice of the citizens with the end result being they will get what they want irrespective of the cost. Throw in a hung assembly with Deve Gowda calling the shots then its downward spiral for BIA.

vmenon's picture

Of personality led civic fights and tigers in corners!

I am taking a very different spin on the BIAL issue and form the little  i know of the civic /quasi political  space , i am reading(perhaps excessively)things in the following light.

a)It has gone way past issues /or stands.Its now ...the fight has to be won( izaad ka sawal...the ego).It is natural and has happened everywhere including to myself.

b)The bigger the personalities that are invloved the more this happens.

c) So therefore in this "tiger in the corner"  time of the fight ..when there is every chance that the fight is going to be lost..this is the time, when sudenly new things happen , new discoveries happen,(EC etc), and bad blood really starts to spill.

--I am concerned here of praja....it is imperative that we resist going down this path ..in  this issue and all others.

--not succumb to the pleasures and then travails of a personality led fight in the civc area. 

Enough preaching for a day!! 

kbsyed61's picture

If HAL airport is re-opened under MRTP ?

Devesh,

Leaders take responsibily for their actions. 

Thanks for the clarification on RKM. So I was not off on this. 

On your question of what if "HAL airport is re-opened under MRTP ? That should be an added news to air travellers specially those who wanted it badly.

But it could be a bad news for Bangalore in long run, unless we have plans to make HAL on par with BIAL (2 runways, 30 million passengers, state of the art Cargo facilities, world class amenities etc.).

But to me this could have an adverse impact on BIAL. Let me tell you why?

1. Planned expansion might not take place due to decrease in traffic and requirements.
  2. All the support developments needed for BIAL would get diverted to HAL airport or it might get stopped altogether.
  3. It will allow BIAL to become more of a private monoply, because all the helping hand would be to HAL, because it is nearer, govt. run and our sympathies withh AAI and MoCA.
  4. All the investment needed for BIAL might not happen due to split in revenue model.

But, as always,things doesn't come they way we would like to. Life never reamins same. Dhoop Chaon chalti rehti hai.

For you Devesh,

"Phoolon ka shaidai hun mein, Kanton bhare rahon pe chalna aata hai mujhe"

"Rahta zamin pe hun mein,  Aasmonein mein bhi udna aata hai mujhe"

"Saharaon se karta hun ishq mein, Toofanon se bhi ladna aata hai Mujhe"

(I am devout lover of flowers, but I know to walk on rough road with thorns)

(I live on land, but do I know to fly in skies)

(I admire/love the Desert, but I know how fight the storms in seas/oceans) 

Regards,

Syed 

MRTP Act

This comment has been moved here.
Devesh's picture

HAL does not have to be a BIAL

Dear Syed

Very noble thought, but HAL can never be, another BIAL in terms of capacity.

With reference to resources being given to AAI for development of the terminal there is the saying "Ghar Ki Murgi Dal Barabi" .... a chicken dish of home is valued like plain Dal in a restaurant.

For 4 years, I have been pushing DGCA for SIDs and STARs for HAL. No response.

BIAL opened, and all SIDs and STARs are in place. HAL had to beg and plead for 1 additional frequency for ground control, in addition to their existing 2. BIAL is beginning with 5 frequencies. i.e. 5 controllers handling flights instead of 3 at HAL.

AAI Bangalore needed industry support to beg and be granted a largesse of 20 cr for terminal expansion. AAI invested 13% in a 2500 Cr BIAL project, just of the bat. 

Bhai, like it or not, private projects have the "money".  

Having said that, I do not know, if you have ever taken the international departures in the morning i.e. BA, or GF or SQ morning flight. The international terminal is HUGE. So in my opinion, HAL can very easily handle up to 6 million passengers. My proposal was to put a cap of 2.5 million pax to start with and increase the limit 0.5 million every year.

BUT make the whole operation market driven, and I even went so far, as to propose that AAI can partner with one of the partners in BIAL like AI-SATS or Globe Ground or Menzies to do the terminal handling.

Charge a premium equal to the amount of UDF that BIAL finally settles on with GoI on all departures from BIAL.

The market is self driven. The so-called super intelligent people so often found working in government are no match to the forices of the market. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum