Skip to Content

BIAL Experiences

Guys,

Please post your first hand experience with BIAL as airport in operations, which starts tomorrow May 24, 2008 @00:01 hours.

Syed

blrsri's picture

spouse relationship

looks like we are more getting to a spouse relationship kinda thing..before marriage we dream of the most beautiful/handsome person..and then settle for a plain jane/job security and other factors kick in..someone who can be consistant!

So with our airport..we expected the best looking but now settling down with performance!

vvr's picture

BIAL user experience

I want to preempt any possible accusation that I am a lobbyist for BIAL with this full disclosure – I own stocks in BIAL* and I have worked out an elaborate kickback scheme with them to funnel into my personal bank account a part of the UDF they collect from travelers from this and various other forums that I lurk around.

Also, I am a technologically-challenged person and so do not walk around with a cell phone that takes great photographs (as well as make hot dosas) so no pictures, will have to do with a thousand words instead and therefore reader discretion advised. 

I finally got a chance to get a first-hand look at BIAL. I flew Bengaluru-Delhi-Chandigarh and back this week. This experience would rank alongside my first airline flight in 1968 as one of the most anticipated moments of my life. I had been closely following the developments around the new airport in Bangalore for over a decade even through the years when I lived thousands of miles away. The anticipation was further heightened by reports of a monumental disaster and so I approached this trip with a sense of trepidation and foreboding.  

Now I must confess that I am not a sophisticated traveler who throws out with consummate skill various acronyms for city names, aircraft model and registration numbers, communication gear used, landing approach taken by aircraft etc. However, I have been a frequent traveler around the world for the past 30 years and can smell convenience from a continent away.  

BIAL connectivity: I live in East Bangalore (Richards Town). On Saturday afternoon, it took me exactly 50 minutes to get dropped off curbside at BIAL. It took me about the same to get back home from BIAL on Wednesday around 9:00 pm. The NH-7 part of the road between BIAL interchange and Yelahanka north exit is looking very good. If and when the government carries out its threat to build an elevated section between Hebbal flyover and North Yelahanka, the drive will be a breeze (for me at least). By contrast, a trip to the HAL would vary between 20 minutes and 45 minutes depending on the disposition of the bus drivers from HAL and other DRDO orgs on S.Das Road.

BIAL user interface: It took me exactly 12 minutes from the time I was dropped off curbside to order my complimentary cup of coffee at the café near my departure gate. During this time, I got checked in, went through security check and had the chance for a quick restroom stop. I might have just got lucky or it may have been due to the fact that I was behind the great Roger Binny (who was on his way to the Lords with Kirmani and Kirti Azad for the big event) at the check in and security lines and may have vicariously enjoyed VIP status.  

On my return, the aircraft pulled up to the gate at 8:45 pm and I was in a cab by 9:10. During this time, the aerobridge got attached, passenger unloaded, baggage collected, pit stop made (I told you before, I am a 58-year old male!), taxi money from ATM collected. It was almost a Changi-like experience especially in contrast to Delhi Terminal 1 which still retains the look and feel (and smell) of an AAI airport.

The things I did not like about BIAL – being greeted on arrival by the smell of chicken grilling in the tandoor (coming from one of the cafes), the dysfunction around the taxi line notwithstanding the efforts of BIAL and the taxi company reps and the boarding procedure  -- how difficult can it be to board by row numbers. I know KF tried this at HAL but I think we, the people,  defeated that system. The last of these could considerable reduce the clustering of people.  

Meru cabs are fantastic. When it is your turn at the top of the taxi line assuming one has been allowed to form, the uniformed cab driver jumps out and loads your luggage in the trunk, starts the meter, takes you to your destination, prints you a receipt, collects the money with no intention to hang around to ask for something extra. By the way, I did have a very enlightening discussion with the cab driver on lane discipline (he said, "It is a great idea, I will comply but my customers are always in a hurry and want me to pay no attention to lanes". Lane driving=Slow traffic)

BIAL terminal building aesthetics: Like I said I am a nuts and bolts traveler and pay very little attention to these things unless it is extremely noteworthy (the only airport that falls in this category for me is Denver International). I have flown in and out of Changi dozens of times yet cannot remember anything about the external appearance. In my opinion, the designers of BIAL have made the best effort at striking a balance between cost, functionality, internal ambience (space, light etc.) etc with reasonable success. I say put spectacular landscaping around the building and nobody will pay attention to the building itself.  

Toilets: I thought that it was adequate for arrivals but not so in the departure area. It looks like BIAL now has a caretaker for each toilet and the level of cleanliness is good.  

Finally, I would say that arriving at BIAL, hiring a cab and traveling on NH7 up to Yelanka is almost a first-world experience. From Yelahanka onwards, just close your eyes and pray!

(*PS: In case you are wondering how I acquired stocks in BIAL, I will let you in on a secret -- I  acquired them through our fearless leaders in the Government of Karnataka!) 

vvr's picture

Interesting metaphor!

Stretching blrsri's metaphor, some of us are still pining for our ex-spouses and some of us want to co-habit with both ex and current spouses, some of us are saying that the divorce from the poor ex-spouse was a machination carried out by the current spouse to usurp all the wealth.......
malq's picture

Airside comments

Pretty much everything has been written about landside, so here are a few airside comments/observations:-

a) Bus and utility vehicle discipline is terrible. The bus goes all the way to one end to do a full round turn which has a speed limit of 40kmph marked on it - at that speed, the bus will flip over or the pax wil fall down. Speed limit needs to be 15 kmph like at DEL for all but emergency vehicles. 

b) Saw a baggage trolley pulling tractor cross right in front of our bus, like doing a dare. Got a photo, shall post on my flickr pages soonest.  

c) Ground control Radar at ATC was not turning!! Two ATC staffers were out on the roof, with binoculars. Remebered my days at sea as cadet, up on crow's nest or monkey island. Had to shake myself hard, and pinch myself too. Got a photo. Shall post.

d) Drivers from taxi and pirate organisations harangue passengers at the arrival gate. Expect Mumbai style touts soon. Needs resolute strength to walk through them to the bus. One Maruti van operator offered me door drop in JP Nagar at the same 150/- rupees plus 50/- rupees for my strolley, claimed he was going back empty and his van was parked about 10 minutes awat. Interesting. (Not airside, this landside)

e) Kingfisher A-330 parked, looking quite unloved.

f) Toielts clean in arrival, but could be a few more. Helpful attendant. Very smart design at arrival baggage claim, the middle section can be used for international and/or domestic, as per rush. tried to see if I could smooth talk my way to international arrival duty free shop, got big smile and no entry.

g) Too many people NOT wearing high-visibility jackets strolling around on the tarmac area. Looks very unsafe.

But all in all, good experience. Wonder how it will be in peak hot hot summer? 

malq's picture

Departure BIAL experience

a) The BMTC Volvo from JP Nagar to BIAL was full up, with about 6 standing passengers, and there was also an argument between some people who had reserved on the internet versus some people who had occupied those seats. The bus crew do not seem to know in advance how many reserved passengers are expected on their bus, it seems.

b) On a Sumday afternoon it took us 105 minutes from JP Nagar-6 to BIAL.  The radio is still an annoyance.

c) The BIAL authorities have succumbed to marking special lanes, side roads and areas for "VIPs", while the passengers who pay and form the largest number moving are consigned to the boondocks. This in itself is the first major flaw at this airport. The term "VIP", incidentally, has been withdrawn from Predident of India's Secretariat, PMO, and even the Home Ministry responded that it was not defined. BIAL, ofcourse, has it in big day-glow letters as you drive in. Maybe BIAL needs to go to Mumbai and see how it is done at Churchgate and CST/VT - the first lane is for the bus pax, next for the taxi pax, then for the private cars and as for the so-called VIPs, no idea.

d) BIAL has also managed to make a sandy dust-bowl out of a previously fertile and green area. For those of us who disembark from the bus and walk to the airline counters, pick up their tickets, and then enter, BIAL needs to provide a free shower and shampoo after the experience. There was grit in my (long) hair. BIAL needs to do something about this rapidly.

e) The trolleys for bus passengers were smartly kept about 50 metres away. Very intelligent on the part of BIAL authotiies.

f) Inside the terminal, there is a starcase between two sets of escalators going to the upper level, after check-in. This staircase is very narrow, and there is an international specification for width of staircases at airports that I can not get my hands on right now, but likely it does not comply.

g) Since baggage security screening is done away from our eyes, under nobody knows what conditions, it may be helpful if a shrink-wrapping service is available on the check-in area. I for one used to depend on the one-time plastic "lock" and the strapping for my usually unlocked strolleys - will now need to stock up I guess.

h) There needs to be atleast one small general shop selling things at MRP within this airport. Everything can not be a rip-off at high prices. If we ant to compare with say Frankfurt (where there is a supermarket in the 3rd basement if I recall) or Heathrow (where Boots provides stuff at High Street prices) then we need this. It is bad enough paying 50/- rupees for a 10/- chocolate bar with the MRP scratched over.

i) The announcements are made only in English and Hindi. There is a genuine need for Kannada announcements, too, and why wait till it is driven by politics?

j) The toilets were clean, but could have done with a higher level of equipment, they just appear to have been made to an economical cost. They just appear "cheap", again, to compare, check out the new toilets at Churchgate Station.

k) There is a security CISF counter for "STAFF" which lies mostly unused. Male and female passengers can be diverted there when there is a rush.

l) As always, spotted enough people on the tarmac without their high-visibility jackets. And while we boarded through the airbridge, could spot enough lack of basic traffic discipline airside again.

+++

Let us try to benchmark this new BIAL terminal against, say, the Centre-1 outside Vashi Station, for issues like cleanliness, ergonomics, design? I mean, take a close look at the steel railing for the narrow staircase between the two escalators - can you spot the non-rounded sharp edges on the lower ground floor level? Designed to cause injuries to children. Likewise, the whole concept of making the largest volume of passengers headed for the buses and taxiis walk the longest distance can only increase the chances of accidents. 

Nice shiny new terminal, but on safety - I am sorry, it has many issues that I can spot. And most of them revolve around the way the passenger flow has not been planned. I mean, from BMTC bus-stop to departure area, a passenger has to cross 2 option 3 zebra crossings, did anybody work that out before they placed  BMTC so far away? Why can't I dsembark closer to one end of the departure area, head into the terminal without going through traffic conflict, and then the bus goes away to the pick-up area?

I think the answer lies in the way BIAL has put up VIP boards. Shame, actually.

SonalK's picture

BIAL Experience

I travelled from BLR- Devanhalli Airport to Frankfurt and further to Washington DC on 24th May 2008 by Lufthansa. Everything felt good, was happy to be a part of this grand opening and majestic airport. Since I was used to mosquito bites and horrible infrastructure at the HAL airport, I was awed by this gigantic struture, cleanliness and similar to USA (rather much better) look airport.

After travelling nearly 36 hours to get back to the USA, I realised that the baggage that was checked in at the airport didnt make it to DC. The worst feeling crawled in my tummy and after 3-4 weeks of continous calls to all the airports I flew through, there was dismay. Till date (30th June 2008), I still havent received my bags.

Since the BLR airport staff wasnt well acquainted with the airport, I assume, the bag has fallen off the conveyor belt and hasnt made it to the flight (LH 755 and LH 416). The staff asked me to pay extra (as I had more than 23kgs in the bag) and sent me to the LH desk, I didnt ensure if the bag was tagged properly and sent on the conveyor belt. This means that the LH employee didnt put the bag on the belt, or someone has stolen the bag.

I had returned to the country after 2.5 years and had everything new in the bag. Is there a way to find out from CC cameras if anyone has stolen my bag from the new airport? This will be devastating to know how poorly and pathetic the security system is at this lavish grand airport.

Thank you

Sonal

Photoyogi's picture

Reg: Lost baggage

OOPS! Oh my God! i have fwded some contacts to you, please check your pvt msgs. I do hope other users can also help you.
I must say you have been quite polite after so much trauma!

-- Praveen Sundaram AkA PhotoYogi

-- PhotoYogi

blrsri's picture

Re: lost baggage

Once the bag is checked in, its the responisibility of the carrier to take care of it. So in this case Lufthansa should be tracking the baggage instead of the airport..they will also  compensate for lost baggage..

kbsyed61's picture

Is BIAL experience setting new standards !

Whether BIAL is meeting the expectations of all or not, we all can argue/counter argue no-stop. But it seems it is furthering a lifestyle change and social trends for Bangalore and its residents. This is what I could infer from this news report:

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/life/2008/07/11/stories/2008071150030100.htm

Courtsey - The Hindu Bussiness Line

Syed 

mailabode's picture

MALQ - Have you forwarded these complaints to BIAL?

IF you have not, then forward these complaints to BIAL. Maybe you can send the complaints through Praja as well.

mailabode's picture

Lost Baggage - to SonalK

Please contact Lufthansa, dont leave them. You should get the baggage back. Apart from talking to them i feel your should also put your communications to them in writing - email or registered letter.

If they still are indifferent, If you live in the US, maybe you could threaten them with legal consequences(first please seek the advise of others on this forum and your knowledgeable friends in the US about this).

Lufthansa at your destination airport should have a lost baggage section - just in case - i hope you registered ur complaint with them when you arrived there.

bialterminal's picture

sonalk-lost baggage

As others have pointed out I would call lufthansa if I were you to find out what happened. They should be able to tell you if the baggage arrived at Frankfurt in the first place. If it did then the problem is at Frankfurt otherwise it is at Bangalore. To be fair to the old HAL airport or the new one or any other entity I would not jump to conclusions beore Lufthansa's answer. The same thing happened to me on my trip from BLR (HAL airport) to LAX via BOM. After calling virgin atlantic, it turned out that another passenger had picked up my baggage by mistake at LAX and left for a cruise. I got back my suitcase after a month. Hope you get your luggage soon! but please do call Lufthansa if you haven't. 
SonalK's picture

I have contacted Lufthansa

I have contacted Lufthansa regarding it. The couldnt trace the baggage on the flight from Blore to FLR and further. They assume that the tags could have come off during the whole transporting from the checkin section to the airplane cargo section. I find this ridiculous to believe, but have to nod in acceptance and keep my cool. They have offered me compensation which covers very very lil of the actual price I paid for all the items in the bag. My parents have cotacted the LH ground staff and they have nothing else to offer except to wait or forget it and settle with the compensation.

I will try contacting the ground security in BLR. But this whole thing has been a nightmarish episode.

Thanks for all the inputs, but if you do find anymore trials, I will be obliged to followup on it.

Sonal

Devesh's picture

BLR-SFO Horror Trip on SriLankan and Virgin Atlantic

A message from a fellow member on the Infrastructure Committee. He is a senior VP of a major banking organisation. Now spending a holiday in the US. A very sober and decent person.

His bags were still missing 2.5 weeks after the flight.

------------------------------

Dear Devesh,

Hope this finds you in the best of health and spirits.

It was our first visit to the new airport. We had a comfortable bus connection and a changed look of the airport; found it to be more spacious and comfortable, but not a match to any of the well-known international airports, like Singapore.

Reached San Jose, safely. A safe climax after a traumatic experience with the Sri Lankan airline!

The Bangalore-Colombo flight on 9th June was delayed 9 hours in Bangalore and so missed the connecting flight in Colombo. Of course, the sleep too, as we were awake all night expecting the flight to take off any time!

In Colombo, the Airline could not place us on the next immediate flight; attributed to system errorrs; high confusion/ commotion in the airport; plenty of arguments and justifications and our final surrender to their mercy; however, they arranged a good hotel accommodation on the sea beach and a 4 hour city tour; a consolation.

The rescheduled itinerary took us to London on 10th where we were supposed to take a British Airlines connecting flight at 5pm We had the boarding pass issued by Sri Lankan in Colombo, and so proceded to the gate for departure as directed by airline staff. When we were about to board, another system failure confronted us! Sri Lankan should have issued a paper ticket, which they did not. We were off-loaded and the plane took off without us!.

Contacted the Sri Lankan office in the airport; another round of arguments, a blame game, passing the bucks followed. We were put in a nearby hotel in London. The next flight was, fortunately, after a good sleep for us and at 11 am on 11th on Virgin Atlantic Unfornately, another system failure confronted us! When we wanted to check in, Virgin check in officer refused to issue boarding passes saying that their system does not show the booking done by Sri Lankan. Our fate was again challenged; Sri Lankan office would open only in the afternoon at 3. Another series of arguments with various officers ensued. Ultimately, we were on the flight, delayed departure at 12 noon, at last.

The system failure continued to haunt us. When we arrived in San Francisco at 3pm on 11, the registered baggages did not accompany us. They are still missing. We have registered the missing baggages report and are eagerly waiting their reaching us!

The comfort part of all these is that every officer we interacted with over a dozen of them, do not remember all names) blamed the system and the previous officers, but was courteous and helped us to the best of his abilities. They, however, could not prevent the fatigue, anxiety and trauma that we were suffering throughout.

I am looking for possible compensatory benefits or claims against insurance or airlines. Perhaps , you may have something to share with me on this.

Best wishes,

AVR Rao

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
tsubba's picture

Cold and Heartless??

A commercially oriented machine, without heart or soul Business sense ‘Small thinking has sunk in in the infrastructure at BIA’ Says ANAND PARTHASARATHY of the Hindu Reading, day in, day out of the challenges facing Bangalore’s spanking new international airport, one begins to wonder whether proximity to a few hundred information technology companies might not have rubbed off on the airport as well, afflicting it with this high tech disease: instant obsolescence. In normal circumstances, it would seem to be a fairly bizarre situation, when a new facility like an airport which is presumably planned by experts reaches the limit of its rated capacity on the very day it opens — or so we are told by the many committees that are bending their minds to the question: How do you solve a problem like BIA? Clearly it cannot be solved so smoothly as the problem like Maria, that enthralled us in our younger days in The Sound of Music. Having passed through the airport a day after it was opened — and about half a dozen times since then, I emboldened to share with readers, my theory of why people continue to grumble and curse when talking about what should be the pride of India’s Silicon City. The issue is not a few overflowing trash cans, or leaky toilets or aerobridges with teething problems. All that can be changed. But attitude cannot. I am coming round to the belief that the airport was conceived and executed by small minds, who either lacked the vision of what the mature, internationally savvy passengers who patronise the airlines serving Bangalore came to expect — or just decided that the interests of their shareholders would be best served by getting away with the narrowest definition of contractual responsibilities… and cutting every corner in sight. Here are some examples: The pre-boarding waiting areas is where passengers, especially on international flights, tend to spend most of their time in airports — up to 2 hours is common. So world over, designers provide the most comfortable seating they can. The new Terminal 5 at Heathrow has invested in a number of corners with literally “sink in” sofas in which one can cacoon oneself in comfort. Incheon, Korea; Changi Singapore, the new Hong Kong airport on Lantau island, are all examples of thoughtful seating. But at BIA, they have standardised on a particularly hard and unyielding upright chair that will have you squirming within a few minutes. There are, in my experience, only two international airports worse in this respect — Bangkok’s Suvarnabhoomi, where they have gone all metal, and Frankfurt, that has created a unique torture instrument: a rounded metal bar on which one is expected to balance one’s posterior. Is this a German thing? BIA after all is part owned by Zurich Airport and that reputed name Siemens — both bywords for efficiency and quality. BIA is a poor showcase for your brand, mein damen und herrn. Elsewhere, small thinking has sunk in — literally — into the infrastructure. You will be hard pressed to find smaller display boards for flight information, anywhere in the world. They have made do, with standard home theatre sized LCD TV screens, which cannot be read (at least by me) without spectacles. And at that size, they are unable to display enough lines and cannot show a departure that is just an hour away. This is a disgrace by any international standards. After a hue and cry about lack of public phones, they have stuck a few portable coin operated phones among the departure gates — the type your corner grocery store keeps on the counter. This is the IT capital of India: It would have sent a splendid signal to the world, if arriving passengers found a few computer terminals with free Internet to check their mails. You can see them in Hong Kong, and in some 20 locations in Changi, Singapore — with two at every departure gate. One could go on and on… Bangalore has waited for over a decade for a decent airport that measured up to the splendid image that its IT industry has created for India. What it has got is a cold, commercially oriented machine, without heart or soul. It may work — just — but it will never thrill. We deserved better.

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum