Skip to Content

Some ideas on education in Karnataka

At the outset this, has nothing to do with the civic life of bangalore as such, but as much as bangalore is tied to the rest of the state at the hip, and as much as the output of our schools is crucial to its economy, culture and in shaping its citizenry it may be worthwhile to discuss this issue here.

A fundamental assumption is that school education should be universal and must be a fundamental right that is enjoyed equally equally by all, especially with respect to quality. Towards that there was a discussion between a few folks at churumuri. please read through that link and related responses to that post.

i am posting the post that started the discussion there to start a discussion here, but observations by churumurigas including rameshgowda, and girish are very very crucial.

#1. towards universal education, why cant we have: kannada, social studies, including civics in kannada. english, science and maths in english. for all students irrespective of their backgrounds and location?

#1a. this would help students to be bi-directionally globally connected to the fast changing world of the sciences. english is the de-facto language in the peer reviewed world of science. for example, so many papers in the sciences from non-english speaking countries are rejected because of lack of clarity in communication. quite a few of these papers are so poorly written that it is impossible for others to look beyond the language, and assess the quality of research. i.e. many times papers are rejected, even when international reviewers sense that they carry important information, because they cannot be sure the authors mean what the reviewers think the authors mean. this is limited world of academics, where you can find people idealistic enough to read a paper a 10 times. you can imagine the impact of this in the much more pervasive world of practical engineering/sciences where people have actually invested their fortunes. on the otherhand, it took modern scientists to “discover” that there is a species of freshwater cat fish now called glyptothorax kudremukensis. perhaps the locals have known of this fish since ages as kemmeenu and they could have told more about it if it were not for the language barrier? similar is the case with mount “everest” aka sagarmaata/chomolungma.

#1b. studying social studies and civics in kannada would help children think about their immediate surroundings, their history and their role as citizens in kannada. hopefully, with kannada as the medium for social sciences and civics, the schooling syllabus will also be more local in content and more relevant. growing up we learnt all about the map of india, but knew nothing about the map of how our town. genghis khan, napolean and akbar we learnt about but nothing about abbakka, benki nawab and kempe gowda, who i now learn, via internet, was a pioneer in rainwater harvesting. the constitution of india and magna carta we learnt about but not who or what a mayor, a corporator or a panchayati head is. had to learn out of school that gaNasabha’s were probably the earliest forms of representative governance. it is left to word of mouth learning post graduation to know how local governance works. what the byelaws and traffic rules are, what is meant by a revenue site or an agri land. what use is a education in civics without knowledge of these everyday essential facts?

#1c. if the issue of medium is amicably resolved, perhaps attention can then be focussed on the more critical issues of pedagogy - issues like how to move from rote learning and testing regurgitative ability to testing for understandability and application.

#1d. developing facility in both kannada and english will also facilitate cross-over and cross-pollination. it will enable kannadigas who are scientists to easily help preserve and sustain naaTi science. at the same time it will enable kannadiga scientists to contribute to popular scientific content in kannada directly. similarly, it will enable students of the arts direct access to ideas from the west.

kannada can only be saved if kannadigas are confident and directly enabled and see no contradiction in being a kannadiga and a citizen of this modern world.

---------------------- perhaps we can consolidate and translate that discussion and any discussions we might have here into kannada, and try to get it into some kannada papers. any volunteers?

City.Zen's picture

English Vs. Kannada medium

"a citizen's job is to observe and criticize and keep an eye on the govt not to do their job for them" -- Though I see the point, I am afraid I still subscribe to the old theory about the best government being the one that governs the least. Wastages, seepages, inefficiencies, all abound in any gargantuan government. NGOs seem a better option. "why do indians (prefer to) send their kids to english schools?" -- I believe most of us prefer English schools because of our impression that the prospects are better, knowledge acquisition and assimilation are easier and effective. Our company was looking for somebody to man our corporate library of general English books and we found that one of our outsourced security guards had done a diploma in library science and also had been a lecturer in the subject for 10 years in Mandya or somewhere. Unfortunately he could not be considered for the post because he had done the course and also taught it in Kannada medium. He had difficulty with English and was not familiar with computer operations. My uncle was fanatic about Kannada and sent all his children to Kannada medium schools. Unfortunately, his eldest son did not attain English fluency though went on to become an engineer. His doctor wife used to complain that his lack of self-confidence in English conversation made him hesitate to attend parties, mix with people, etc. Thanks to blogging, I can see that many highly-educated people like you, many of whom must have studied in English medium, love Kannada and continue to read Kannada and also write in it. Even my vilayat-returned technocrat grand uncle used to enjoy Kannada novels regularly. I also believe that your innovative via media suggestion of both English and Kannada studies is excellent and worth implementing at the earliest. For one thing, it will not create superiority complex amongst the children learning exclusively in English and it will not create inferiority complex amongst the children studying all subjects in Kannada medium. Thus, equality might happen. Today's kids have a very great advantage - online learning and social networking. All that is required is provide the infrastructure and show the kids how to navigate. We do not need to make a demand on the taxpayers too - enough philanthropists and foundations are more than willing to fund. Kids and parents might be spoilt for choice. (Idea inspired by Shirish Nadkarni, Seattle whose recent startup Livemocha offers language learning solutions based on the concept of peer to peer tutoring).
City Zen
sarvagna's picture

City.Zen

I read your post before you edited it i.e before adding those moral questions.I liked your points immensly but it changed drastically after reading your morals).

Comming to your points,why did the person who did  diploma in library science could not a job in first place? Although direct answer is Kannada medium,the real answer lies some where.Its

Dis-usage of technology in local langauges and over dependence of English Langauge in  technology especially in India.Don't you think so.

Secondly Confidence do not come directly with english mediums,most of the kannada medium students come from a poor background with illiterate parents.Confidence building starts from the home and is then taken forward by the schools.I studied in a english medium school(JPS) which was situated amidst rural areas.I came from a urban area(through bus) 2 kms away from the school.Most of the my classmates who came by near villages did not do well unless they had a very good supportive parents who stressed heavily on education.And students who came from little far off urban areas performed really well compared to the near by rural counterparts.

what does this example say? 

Most of the coastal area people have really exceled inspite of having studied in kannada medium schools.You can check out on this with any statistics available on that.So a question arises?

Is the social background a major factor for upliftment of students caree and confidence or is it langauge of the medium of education ?

tsubba's picture

education

"a citizen's job is to observe and criticize and keep an eye on the govt not to do their job for them" -- Though I see the point, I am afraid I still subscribe to the old theory about the best government being the one that governs the least. Wastages, seepages, inefficiencies, all abound in any gargantuan government. NGOs seem a better option. i think education is the most fundamental duty of the govt. if education provides access to oppurtunity, then it is govt's task to provide equal access to that oppurtunity. govt is not some third entity right? isn't it something that we create? we can ignore it but can we deny it? also i am mostly talking about the content of the education. can you imagine the havoc it can create if they let vested interests are allowed to run free with content? it is critical to have the syllabus strictly under control, though teaching methods must be free. otherwise there will be people poisioning kids with all sorts of ideas. -- I believe most of us prefer English schools because of our impression that the prospects are better, knowledge acquisition and assimilation are easier and effective. i agree. actually i was hoping somebody would raise this question. in fields of science, management, finance etc there is not much content in kannada as far as i know. these represent a whole lot of ideas. but we have a fairly mature if not copius amount of content and mature vocabulary in social studies, history, philosophy, linguistics etc. also these fields are fairly slow progressing, to allow us to catch up to any gaps we might have. paapa. computer skills, i dunno, but can you tell us how much english was needed for the position? what does manning library mean?
City.Zen's picture

Medium of Instruction

Sarvagna, Thank you very much for pointing out a serious lapse on my part. I realize it was stupid of me to add the moral of the stories. The 2 sentences stand deleted. You are right, dis-usage of technology in local langauges and over dependence of English Langauge in technology are the reasons. As for your paying compliments to the coastal people, I suppose you are referring to the Mangaloreans and not Karwaaris. Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts are generally known to be more advanced than Uttara Kannada district or even Goa, although all the three regions are on the same contiguous coast. I agree that complexes can develop due to multiple reasons and language skills could be just one contributing cause.
City Zen
Mithun's picture

(No subject)

City.Zen's picture

Education Content Manipulator

"...education is the most fundamental duty of the govt.... also i am mostly talking about the content of the education. can you imagine the havoc it can create if they let vested interests are allowed to run free with content?" I thought the most fundamental duty of the government was to protect its PRAJAs from enemies - both outside and from within, through Army and Police forces. After this most fundamental duty comes the other duty of being a watchdog and regulator of activities being carried out in the society. Unfortunately, in these last 6 decades we have seen that the govt. is into doing everything by itself, running businesses, selling vegetables in retail, baking bread, transporting people, running hotels, flying planes, printing and publishing, and of course creating education contents. In the process, it ties up its own hands and feet and prevents itself from carrying out its basic function of being an alert watchdog. Can a watchdog bite its own tail? Have we not seen enough instances of corrupt contents in the text books, especially those in Bihar and U.P., and every change in govt. resulting in change in the contents? Especially the very topic of the original post here, Social Studies! Are we not inclined to believe that there might be some element of truth in what Dr. SLB ( why is he a misleading example?)alleged in his latest book? On the other hand, has there been a single instance of errors, let alone misinformation, in the educational contents prepared and published by private developers in the last 6 decades or more? "can you tell us how much english was needed for the position? what does manning library mean?" By manning the library I meant doing what a library assistant was supposed to do - issue books, received returned ones, keep the books properly classified, answer queries, follow up on overdues, etc. Sorry if the usage was wrong. Answering queries, knowing which is the title of the books and which is the author name, what category a book can fall into - this much knowledge of English is an absolute necessity as English is the main language of interaction in our company whose employees come from every State and region in the country.
City Zen
City.Zen's picture

Thanks Sarvagna and Ramesh Babu

Thanks Sarvagna and Ramesh! The information kindly provided by you has been mailed to Deshpande Foundation.
City Zen

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum