Skip to Content

Storm water drain in Bilekahalli

The BBMP has been constructing a storm water drain across the Ranka Colony road in Bilekahalli off the Bannerghatta Road. This project was started in 2008 and still there are no signs of this project getting completed in 2009. This drain is to carry the water flowing from J.P.Nagar area to the Bommanahalli lake without flooding the roads enroute. This new drain has taken away more than half of the Ranka Colony road and has made life miserable for the residents of this road. With the recent rains its extremely difficult to walk on this road. The worst part is that there has been no explanation from the concerned authorities as to why the project has been progressing so slowly and that when will the remaining part of the road be repaired to make it easier for commuting.
arunhari's picture

another struggling resident

I live on this road as well. The way BBMP has gone about constructing this road has been pathetic, and a perfect example of all things wrong. I have filed an RTI as well with the BBMP requesting for specific information on this project. Some of my observations:

- ABSOLUTELY no safety procedures. They dug up a huge trench for the drain and there were no boards or marking for the longest time. Cars could have just dived into the 20 ft deep trench. Why is there no respect for the simplest of safety procedures from the side of BBMP? Do they have a safety commissioner to whom we can write to about this?

- No temporary provision for pedestrians/vehicles
to use the remaining part of the road. It has been a year since the construction started, and the part of the available road is not tarred, and very dangerous for pedestrians to use. If they knew this project is going to go for this long, a temporary provision is a must!

- I know this is not unexpected - but there is no sense of urgency while taking up such a big project which makes life difficult for so many people using the road. There have been periods of several months at a stretch this summer where work has been suspended totally. Now the monsoons are here, and I cannot imagine the worst that is yet to come.

bvijayk's picture

RE: another struggling resident

Thanks for your inputs Arunhari. In fact these days i walk through the main road to Vijaya Enclave which is parallel to this ill-fated road and then enter my apartment through the other side. I dont mind walking for another 20 mins, but the issue is that our road is becoming totally unmotorable. I dont know what else can be done to highlight this issue in the media
idontspam's picture

Tried calling the authorities?

This unprofessionalism exists in all projects undertaken by civic authorities. Not causing inconvinience to citizens is an inconvinience for them.

Did you try calling BBMP/BWSSB to complain?

§§§ Tweetenator

murali772's picture

Oh! there's work happening!

Come Monday, commuters travelling through Bannerghatta Road to reach the city's arterial araes may face some trouble. The traffic police will effect diversions necessitated by BBMP work on Raja canal near Bilekahalli junction.

For the full text, click on:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Bangalore/Diversions-ahead-on-Bannerghata-Road/articleshow/4562073.cms

The matter seems to have attracted the attention of the powers that be. Congrats to the PRAJAgalu involved.

Muralidhar Rao

Muralidhar Rao

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum