Skip to Content

Concession for normal passholders in Varja services?

Hello all,

This is a general question for all  - Does BMTC allow concession to normal pass holders in its Volvo services?

The reason for this question is that, a couple of days back, a person with a Pushpak pass showed his pass to the conductor. The conductor charged fares much lesser than normal Vajra fares. Is it that normal passengers, holding Pushpak passes, can avail of a discount in these buses?

Can somebody de-mystify this for me?

Vasanthkumar Mysoremath's picture

If this is true and a valid ticket is isued, is BMTC trying...

I only wish what has been posted is not true so far as Vajra services are concerned.  It makes me imagine many things like -

- If a valid ticket is issued by collecting reduced fare, then,  Is BMTC trying to offset loss with this kind of  cross subsidy and has a hidden agenda with tacit instructions to the staff of Vajras?

- if a valid ticket is not issued then it is a clear case of corruption on the part of the conductor and this post need not be carried further.

As it is BMTC is under attack for stratified services to the 3.8 lakh commuters while Volvos run nearly empty on many routes.

Mr.binaiks, please clarify since this will open up a chance for many Prajas to comment.

-Vasanthkumar Mysoremath

binaiks's picture

concession

A ticket was surely issued. I beleive the charge levied was equal to the difference between a Pushpak ticket and a Vajra Ticket (this was an IT sector bus - working 365N).  I am not sure of what kind of pass the person had, but it appeared like a Pushpak pass to me. 

The concession is a good move, because passengers with passes would be ready to take a Vajra if only the difference is levied. 

In a different thread, I had suggested how BMTC is pampering certain routes while leaving the other routes with dismal service. Volvo buses are underutilised - they should run on two shifts and should be available from 0500 to 2200 atleast. 

--
Thanks,
Binai Sankar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Switch to Public Transportation, Save your city

--
Thanks,
Binai Sankar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Switch to Public Transportation, Save your city
SB_YPR's picture

Why jump to conspiracy theories?

Hi,

I only wish what has been posted is not true so far as Vajra services are concerned. 

Why?

I agree with Binai that it is a great idea to further enhace the occupancy on Vajras and reduce the crowd on ordinary buses. I'm sure there would be many pass holders who wouldn't mind paying a little extra to travel in the comfort of an AC in this blazing summer. 

If a valid ticket is issued by collecting reduced fare, then,  Is BMTC trying to offset loss with this kind of  cross subsidy

How does it become a cross-subsidy? BMTC is not charging other passengers extra, they are only subsidising the ordinary pass-holders travelling by Vajras.

and has a hidden agenda with tacit instructions to the staff of Vajras?

What, according to you, would be this 'hidden agenda' of BMTC which requires 'tactit instructions' to Vajra staff? I don't think there is any tactit maneuvering here. BMTC is being wholly transparent about the matter as is evident from the fact that a ticket was issued.

Regards,

~~~~

Manish, Nagarbhavi.

~~~~

Manish.

Vasanthkumar Mysoremath's picture

These are not theories...

Manish avare,

cross subsidy: your question itself has the hidden answer - 'BMTC is subsidising pass holder' - is this official and allowed and why no wide publicity for public consumption?

hidden agenda: Simple clue - to offset parennial loss being sustained in un-economical running of Rs.75 lakhs worth buses.

- Vasanth Mysoremath

pathykv's picture

Concession on Vajra services

I agree to the idea that the pass holders should be charged the fare difference and allowed in Vajra/ Big10 etc. services which will create a win-win situation.
K.V.Pathy
trimurthi's picture

Flat fare of Rs.20 for Pushpak Pass in Volvo/Vajra service

Hello Binaiks,
To de-mystify your original question (which got lost amidst noisy replies):

It is a flat fare of Rs.20 if you hold a Pushpak Pass (Pushpak pass costs monthly Rs.600).

The break-even cost of Pushpak pass + Flat fare Rs.20 is when for ex - you travel 20 days a month and your normal 2-way fare is Rs.70 (Rs.35x2).

If you have a pushpak pass + Bangalore Card, then the conductor will select bus service as 'Pushpak' and issue a ticket for you with max fare for Pushpak service, which is Rs.20

Thanks,
Kishan

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum