Skip to Content

Biggest parking lot at Shantinagar TTMC !?!!

From todays TOI

TTMC at Shanthinagar will have one of the city’s largest parking spaces with a capacity to hold 525 cars and 742 two-wheelers."

The last time I went to shantinagar busstop was for attending the meeting with BMRCL..There was plenty of parking vacant on a weekday..I am sure its the same case on weekends too..

Did we really need this extra capacity for a place having a cemetery on on the left and Transport dept offices and bus depot / stormwater drain on the right!

Shouldnt anyone be atleast asking the bigbazaar ppl if they are making any money at all!

What is the actual plan for this TTMC?

It cannot take bus traffic towards tamil nadu cos of bottlenecks at nimhans..

So what is it they are planning!? or is it just a nepa for eating away JNNURM money!?

Vasanthkumar Mysoremath's picture

Civil works are conundrums of corruption

Sri

U R right. Nepa for spending JNNURM funds meant for improving urban aglomeration infrastructure but transport sector is more interested in civil construction works and creating malls, shopping complexes etc., in the name of providing ttmc.  Otherwise, JNNURM funds unutilised will have to be surrendered. To avoid such an eventuality, easy way to utilise them is to create huge civil works/buildings.

Such misadventurous capital oriented investments are in other areas of transport sector also - Look at loss making Volvos, Big10, HoHos - 3 years of continuous loss making at whose cost?

Shanthinagar Bus stand itself is a monstrous CO2 spewing building (absolutely no greenery around and the burial ground is also bereft of greenery) with offices located in upper floors whereas it is only in the groundfloor that there is a semblance of sheltered bus bays for commuters, albiet underutilised.

JNNURM pre condition is consultation with public and rising of 10 per cent from the citizens.  All these conditions are cleverly circumvented.   Similar is the case in Mysore and other nearby towns that are recipients of JNNURM funds. Huge complexes have been planned and are under execution at various stages and their designs are nothing but concrete and glass facade buildings. 

Nothing heritage about this designed traffic infrastructure, although the City bus stand under construction in KR circle is abutting the fort walls of famous Mysore Palace.  Nowhere in the world can we see such blatant  abberation of heritage sites.

Where is the vibrant civil society here?  Is there no asker, no teller?

Kurigalu Saar, naavu Kurigalu...

- Vasanth Mysoremath 

sirahattimohanrao's picture

TTMC

PARKING LOTS ARE VERY USEFUL AND GOVT COULD EARN MONEY OUT OF IT. FOR EXAMPLE SEATAC CITY IN WASHINGTON STATE WHERE ISEATTLE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IS SITUATED DEPENDS ON EARNINIGS FRON PARKING LOTS FOR ITS ECONOMY. PARKING RENTING IS MAIN BUSINESS.  SIMILARLY RAILWAY STATIONS IN MANY CITIES INCLUDING LOCAL METRO STATIONS PROVIDE FOR HUGE PARKING SPACES  ALMOST FOR 1000 TO 5000 CARS. SO WHATS HAPPENING IS IN RIGHT DIRECTION AND V SHOULD ENSURE GOVT DELIVERS.

IF U CANT FIND HAPPINESS ENROUTE , YOU WILL NEVER FIND AT THE END

IF U CANT FIND HAPPINESS ENROUTE , YOU WILL NEVER FIND AT THE END

ssheragu's picture

parking lot

ssheragu

I beg to is agree with blrsri

That the parking lot in SHANTHI NAGAR is not full during weekdays and weekends RIGHT NOW, is not a reason to reduce its size or do away with it.

In fact in my opinion, the size is still less, as with time, there will be increasing number of nanos and other cars and there will be more number of cars on roads and this size will be totally insufficient

further  I am of the strong opinion,  that henceforth

(1) all parking lots for apartments (with an apartment strength of 100 apartments)  should have a parking space for not less than 300 cars apart from 2 wheelers an

(2) all pubic parking spaces should have for a minimum space for 500 cars with space for future expansion

many thanks

Srinath Heragu

Vasanth's picture

Park and Ride Improves Ridership by removing last mile glitch

Most of the people do not use public transport because of last mile connectivity problem. Bangalore is a vast city with localities coming out overnight with very narrow roads to allocate more residential sites. This prevents transport  companies like BMTC to enter into such localities.

Starting TTMCs with parking lots will definitely improve ridership.

blrsri's picture

New Parking..

Srinath: I was not referring to do away with the existing parking..all that I was asking was the rationale behind creating more parking space..

marked in red above are all cemeteries/burial grounds(marked in red)..the immediate vicinity is bmtc depot and workshop..I am not sure if there are many ppl in hombegowda nagar or wilson garden who can afford a car..to drive to a ttmc to catch an unreliable bus!

On the other side of double road its mosty shanties and daily labourers working on trucks etc on one side and whole sale merchants on the other side..

We dont have the metro cominng here either!

So who are we catering to bu building the biggest parking!?

I parked my car in the MLCP on JC road the other day and it hardly fills up 2 floors at anytime during the day..also the ppl there were talking of alegations of shop keepers that this parking lot has been converted to garrages where shopless folks do their business..

I do not hate parking lots or anything..just needed information on what basis they planned such a big parking lot!

sanchitnis's picture

Parking and Shanthinagar to Lalbag metro/commercial street BRT

More parking at Shanthinagar makes sense only if there is frequent Vajra services to reach the CBD and nearest MRT station at Lalbag. People coming to M G Road/Commercial street from south side can either come by metro and take these buses (rather than changing at Majestic and again taking last mile connectivity at MG road station) or can come by vehicles and park at Shanthinagar to go to CBD. It will be better to have multiple parking facilities in big-5 (big 6) directions away from CBD rather than a single parking facility at CBD. This will stop further congestion of CBD.

And needless to say, there should be BRT with necessary underpasses etc. to support smooth traffic of these Vajra services.

Sanjay Chitnis

murali772's picture

Blsri avare' Exactly as you

Blsri avare'

Exactly as you have stated, the TTMC's are just a nepa (whatever that is!) for eating away JNNURM money!

Naveen had analysed this fairly correctly earlier - check    here

And, the following is what I had written on the subject even before  

In addition now are the grandiose schemes of building the so-called TTMC's, again through a totally non-transparent process, with the main object of earning revenues through lease to Big Bazaar, etc, but camouflaged as passenger amenities. All that it is typically resulting in is a bus from J P Nagar, instead of going straight to Majestic via the Minerva circle, being routed through the K H road TTMC in order to provide more custom to Big Bazar, but in the process causing delay and resultant hardship to the passenger. In the very first place, BMTC's rights over these huge chunks of valuable real estate in the heart of the city are themselves questionable. To add to that, is the matter of taking BBMP's permission for constructing them, and paying of property taxes, which have been conveniently ignored.

Read the full text     here

Muralidhar Rao

Muralidhar Rao

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum