i have recently joined CSM, (csmworld.org) an international org that addresses climate change issues.
under their umberella i am attempting to put together a"climate festival" that looks at climate change and bengaluru. (other cities will follow)
my impression is that not many people in our cities , even among the urban educated,
relate to climate change or can join the dots when it comes to issues of climate change and india's .
this could be the reason for or because of the GoI's indifference to climate change so far..and their refusal to come out with a comprehensive policy domestically and any commitments in the internatioanl fora. earlier this week there was a round table on climate change in Bangalore, and our scientific community collectively admitted that
"research on CC in india is in its infancy" (hindu, march 24, pg 5).
in fact , in the light of that statement, i wonder on what basis the GoI takes the stand it does !!
i just wanted to throw this subject open to all of you
just to get a feel for what all of you think on:
1. is climate change a "problem" in india yet?
2. is the time right to bring this subjcet closer to home? into the public fora?
3. what should GoI / state /local govts be doing ?
3. what should the scientifcic community in india be doing?
5. what is the role of civil society ?
6. the role of Corporate india?
7. any other thoughts or suggestion....
being a "thinking , doing" community, i thought praja would be the ideal place to start .
any suggestion/comments will be appreciated.
thanks in advance.....