Skip to Content

Site upgrade work - feedback here

We are working to upgrade this site to have following new features

- A new 'theme' for better look and feel and navigation

- A 'group' based design so that we can support more cities and easily provide online presence to active citizen's groups

- A restructured home page for Bangalore site to give exposoure to active as well as new content

We dont have the luxury of separate site or teams for testing purposes. But we are doing our best to make sure that site upgrade work doesn't impact readers and authors.

If you encounter any 'defects' or problems using or navigating the site, please email us via the contact form, or simply leave a comment here.

cheers,

Praja Admin Team

admin's picture

Mangalore

Anusha, thanks for your suggestion. We are planning of expanding praja community to other cities. We are in the process of building the technical aspects of multi-city site. We are soon starting with Pune since there are a lot of members from Pune who are interested in doing the necessary work for doing regular posting to keep the site alive. From my personal experiences I know that Mangaloreans are very passionate about their cities and we would be glad to start a praja for Mangalore if there is sufficient interest. Keep watching! -Admin
kbsyed61's picture

Recent Comments !

Devesh and myself had posted some comments on BIAL Challenge topic.

Interestingly this doesn't appear in "Recent comments" column. Could this be looked into?

Syed 

shas3n's picture

Re: Recent Comments !

Should be alright now. This was due to some posts going 'private' when we upgraded the site. -Shastri

-Shastri

Devesh's picture

Old format better

The version just before this, with comments on the left pane, and indicating in which forum, was far more informative.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
tech's picture

Clutter vs balanced 'exposure'

Thanks for the feedback Devesh.

In the old format, if a post got too many comments, it was hogging a lot of real estate on the front page by getting listed few times over in the 'recent comments' block, and then again under "active" list.

Now, the "active" posts (blogs or forums) don't get listed multiple times. You see the recent comments on one side, and recently commented blogs/forums on another.

The thing is, we want to provide coverage to all stuff, and not focus only on what is popular. What gets commented on a lot is not necessarily the most important thing to know. It shouldn't be pure mobocracy, or else we will come across as talking only roads and airports.

Let us watch user behavior for sometime and then revert or redo the layout for more balanced 'exposure'.

Perhaps, we have both formats. A detailed recent comment listing lower down on the frontpage (old format), as well as a quick activity summary on top (new format).

kbsyed61's picture

Weblink overshooting the boundaries of Comment Box !

Guys,

I noticed that Weblinks longer than the comment boundaries, appears overshooting the comment box (RHS). This sometimes overlaps the text/messages on right.

Syed 

tsubba's picture

forum & cities

i understand that we can create forums topics uniquely for cities. but the tags relevant to bangalore still show up. yen maaDodhu?
admin's picture

will fix

will revamp forums

1. remove multiple sub-forums, have simple ones, may be just 2-3 per city
  2. remove so many tag "sets" ("where", "project"), make it al free form tagging. But will have just one mandatory tag option - type of post, - crib, idea/suggestion, rant, news/report, research.

Change #2 will apply to blogs/events etc as well. Should make life easy for bloggers and readers alike. Some nice but similar posts are now not shown via "Related posts" as they are split across different tag "sets".

there is some more work pending, will start on them next week:

• Remove some of the clutter on frontpage, especially from first time and non-registered users of the site. There should be less stuff on main page for them, and should have easy access to something like "how the site works"
  • Color schemes need work, colors for 'blocks' don't fit in with the banner color
  • Petition like concept is ready to be rolled out. Only looking for a petition worthy subject to test it out in live site.
  • City specific "recent comments" etc on the city pages (praja.in/<city>)
  • City specific site banner (images are ready, need to roll them out)
kbsyed61's picture

Unable to create scaled thumbnail image.......

From homepage when "BIAL (AIrport)" is selected under 'BIG Projects' Listing, the top of the BIAL project displays a message "Unable to create scaled thumbnail image......."
shas3n's picture

Fixed

Thanks for pointing our Syed. Have fixed it. -Shastri

-Shastri

kbsyed61's picture

Now on the homepage itself.........

The message " Unable to create scaled thumbnail image......." now appears on hoem page iteslf.

silkboard's picture

fixed

Thanks Syed. Fixed now. Problems around images was due to recent changes in the way one attaches and places images inside posts. Regular authors/bloggers would have received notifications on this change.

BTW, we have redone the tracking pages. Trying somethings that will let members create tracking page like things themselves, without requiring administrative technical work. For example, it'd be nice if you could create a BIAL-RTI tracking page yourself to let us all track the BIAL-RTI work the RTI gang is doing.

kbsyed61's picture

Long weblinks overshoots the comment box

Admins,

The lengthy weblinks text overshoots the comment box. The overshoots pverlaps other text and looks bad.

I had reported this problem earlier also, seems gone unnoticed. Can you guys fixed this.

Syed 

kbsyed61's picture

Missing the Big Project related newslink in site upgrades !

Admin,

Just 2 days ago, there used to be newskink related to the big projects like BMIC, BIAL etc. Now they are not to be found on the page. These used to appear on the right side of the page corresponding to the project.

Any idea why this was removed?

Syed 

tsubba's picture

my rant...

i have been stalking the site these days, but even that has become hard for me. very frequently i get time out errors.
admin's picture

re-arranged the tracking pages

Syed - tracking page has only praja stuff now, posts, and comments. Go to the "Links" page to find news and blog links.

Tarle - paying the price for growth. we are close to the tipping point, where we will need substantial investment to site's infrastructure to support the growing number of readers.

We've been watching it all, and doing somw tweaks to support more readers. We have two main challenges right now (technology wise)

• How to better present all the content we have (which is buried ddep in the site in those wonderful thoughtfull comments
  • How to handle the reader/traffic surge (which we are starting to witness)

Working on it guys. Trust us, we are here to stay in this for a real long time, and not run scared of challenges.

Be ready though, to either see some ads, or to contribute some money as the costs of running the site go through the up curve.

Ravi_D's picture

Might become a hinderance to growth

My memory of time is pretty bad, but yesterday around noon IST, bangalore.praja.in refused to load a couple of times. And was noticeably sluggish for quite a while. Couple of postings I did today took a lot longer than usual to go thru'.

I agree - before the sluggish response starts to deter users, we should invest in infrastructure. How can we help?

Ravi

srinidhi's picture

comments way down in layout

with the changes to the praja site in the last few days the comments section has moved way below. As a regular user one would want to follow the comments rather than the main posts.. the main post itself might be important for new users but again there..feel that there is too much information on the home page!
tech's picture

Home page is being redesigned

For regular members, there are multiple ways now to stay on top of the site.

If you want to come in via recent comments, use this url:

http://praja.in/recent/co...

If you are interested in tracking only Action/Analysis type posts, enter site via:

http://praja.in/recent/to...

Basically, each "block" or "list" on home page has a "more" link that takes you to a page which can be bookmarked depending on how you want to come in to the site.

Need more feedback, please feel free to email/PM/comment on this thread.

PS: Agree, home page looks crowded and overwhelming, need to redesign it further. Short of help right now as 2-3 of us techs are tight with our daytime jobs (damn this recession and all!). So progress has been a bit slow, but expect more updates this month itself.

Vini's picture

I couldn't find route maps

I couldn't find route maps for volvo bus service. Any help? People new to this city could really make good use of it. Thanks. 
I couldn't find route maps for volvo bus service. Any help? People new to this city could really make good use of it. Thanks. 
Vini's picture

Volvo Bus- Route Maps

I couldn't find route maps for volvo bus service on the BMTC web site http://www.bmtcinfo.com/e.... Any help? People new to this city could really make good use of it. Also there isn't a feedback link on BMTC web site or I'm unable find it.
Naveen's picture

Vini - Bus Route Info

Vini - This thread is abt Site Upgrades.

We are given to understand that the BMTC site is undergoing an upgrade & hence, may not be up-to-date, thus, route maps may not be available in all cases.

Anyway, pls try this link for bus route information - the bus no. has to be selected :  123.236.244.54:8080/bmtcinfo/jsp/

sanjayv's picture

bus routes

Another system that you can use is BTIS. 

http://www.btis.in

This system is also not perfect, but it does have some information and maps.  There is also a "bus tracker" to show current bus location.  But the last time I used it, the information was not accurate. A 500 route was shown to be going on airport road!

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum