Pedestrian PIL - How can you participate/help?
1. Look at the affidavit and find if your road is a part of the list of roads BBMP wants to make walkable.
2. Take pictures of the footpath/sidewalk which are unwalkable/have obstructions. Make sure to put date & time on the pictures.
3. Click here & plot them on the map. Write to talkthewalkBLR[AT]googlegroups[DOT]com with your email id so you can be added to the mapping group and you will be sent instructions on how to map.
4. Write a letter to your corporator who is your ward committee chairman seeking information on the steps the ward committee has taken to address the problems. To the letter attach the pictures you have taken and paste the map on the side. If you have any questions write to talkthewalkBLR[AT]googlegroups[DOT]com. Click here to get the address of your ward corporator. You can use the below format to write the letter
The chairman, ward committee
[insert ward number & name]
[insert corporator/councillors Address]
With regards to PIL no. WP 13731/2013 filed in the High Court Karnataka, pursuant to the orders of The Honorable Court, the BBMP has filed an affidavit undertaking to repair /restore footpaths and make them scientific and safe for pedestrians. The BBMP has filed an affidavit identifying the roads and thereafter the Honorable Court has directed that the said works be carried out within a period of 3 months
In order to help the BBMP, i have enclosed pictures of footpaths on XX and YY road that are still unwalkable and unscientific.
Kindly let me know by when these will be repaired, and i request you to discuss this in the next ward committee meeting. Please notify me about the next ward commmittee meeting so that i can be personally present.
5. Send a copy of all communication to talkthewalkBLR[AT]googlegroups[DOT]com or bring physical copies to 2nd floor, Sunrise Chambers , Usoor Road. where the PIL committee meets every Thursday 4PM. We need this to show to the court.