Skip to Content

Should a minimum level of education be mandatory for election candidates?

At a recent TV9 meeting with H D Kumaraswamy and D K Shivakumar, someone suggested that parties should only field candidates with a minimum level of formal education. To which DKS responded that Politics needs common sense, not education. And HDK pointed out that the lack of education should not limit someone aspiring for political office. What do you guys think?
I realize that this is an issue that spans more than just the next LS elections, but I'm posting the question here because it the most topical location for now. And, I'm looking for responses in terms of issues and ideas, not specifics about a given candidate or Party. But of course, any responses are welcome - this is praja.in, after all!

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum