Skip to Content

Way forward on customer issues

Hindustan Unilever, the consumer goods giant, has just done an interesting thing. It has got a retired high court judge to agree to be an ombudsman for customer complaints. If consumers have a grievance at HUL or its products, and aren’t satisfied with the response to their complaint, they will be offered the option of having the ex-judge investigate the matter. And his verdict will be binding on both parties.

The judge, notes the firm, isn’t a company employee and won’t answer to any of its officials; he will be an independent probing authority, with HUL sworn to cooperate fully. For the full report, click on
http://www.newindpress.co...

This is indeed the way to go for the country's Corporate sector.

In this connection, I recall the comments made by Mr K N Shanth Kumar, Director, Deccan Herald, at the panel discussions following the release of the book titled "‘State of India’s Environment’ report, on mining: Rich Lands, Poor People -- Is Sustainable Mining Possible?" by Ms Sunita Narayan, Director, Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), New Delhi, in Bangalore last week. Mr Shanth Kumar had stated that, pursuant to the notoreity that the Bellary iron ore mining industry had gained over the past few years, whether deserved or not, there was a clamour from the public for nationalising the industry altogether. His own publication had received hundreds of letters demanding this. However, his personal view, as well as that of his publication, was against any such move, since experience had clearly shown that to be totally counter-productive. Whatever, he added, the industry can ill afford to ignore these kinds of sentiments amongst the public as and when they arise, and they need to address them.

Well, as far as Hindustan Unilever is concerned, there is no such negative perception amongst the public, except the usual 'multi-national propagating a comsumerist culture to stash away profits' etc. And, their products do enjoy an undisputed reputation for quality. Even with that, their taking such a proactive step places them one notch higher than others. This is very much the way to go.

Muralidhar Rao

tsubba's picture

ombudsman

thanks. way to go.
idontspam's picture

Not the way to go

This is pure marketing stunt. I prefer consumer court. While the judge may try to be impartial due to his background, I am not sure under what frame work he operates and how the company is going to be held responsible to implement his orders? I can tell you from the case I am fighting with IFB. These MNC's will withdraw products from western markets voluntarily if they found the slightest defects while in India they thrust defective goods on you and dont care for you as a consumer after the product has left the shelves. Not that they cannot but they just dont want to.
murali772's picture

generalisation

You may not spam :))). But, aren't you being too generalistic, Sir? And, as for poor customer relationship, it's not the monopoly of MNCs alone; desi companies are equally adept at it. Incidetally, IFB as far as my understanding goes is very much a desi company.

I see the instituting of the Ombudsman as a very positive approach on the part of HLL; as to how effective it is, perhaps needs to be tried out.

Muralidhar Rao

Muralidhar Rao
anusree.kailash's picture

its a fresh idea

It seems like a out-of-the-box idea. One that just might work. :)

"Seek not to find who you are, but to determine who you want to be. Stop looking for a purpose as to why you are here. Create it. Life is not a process of discovery but a process of creation."

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum