Skip to Content

not - so - NICE excesses

up
221 users have liked.
Infrastructure

Ex PM Vajpayee had asked 'aakhir ek aadmi ko kitna chahiye?'

Improvising we need to ask 'aakhir ek project ko kitne chahiye?!'

http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/26/stories/2008082650210100.htm

The KIADB notified 21,000 acres of private land as against the sanctioned 13,237 acres. What were they doing ?

Probably our ex-PM aware of this fact and that was the reason he was at loggerheads with NICE, after the IT boom made land around Bangalore a gold mine!

Thanks to RTI, the mutual secret is out in the open now..may be if some one can follow this up with a PIL and get things fixed..would be the best thing to happen to Karnataka. Even better, if the govt can take this on, it would be easier and faster.

Comments

blrsri's picture

finally somebodys asking

up
151 users have liked.

http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/27/stories/2008082750340100.htm 

The govt has started asking questions on this..which is a good thing happening!

KIADB, being a govt org., has flouted rules and processes and got overzealous to give extra land to NICE than what they needed!

Hope this ends with a off court settlement where sense prevails and NICE hands back the extra land and Kheny can stop looking at acting as recreation!

Devesh's picture

Is NICE another tail-spin in the making

up
146 users have liked.

Every mega PPP project seems to be stuck in some quagmire or the other, mostly political. 

It appears that projects proceed and violate some part of the agreement, and then government wakes up after the fact. This is not good for either the project promoter nor the public. If this is reflective of the way our government works, how do we break out of this rut.

One can assume that project promoters are expected to be expert in "briefcase technology".

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
silkboard's picture

transparency is a two way street

up
139 users have liked.
we have said it here on numerous other posts - we need to know it all, both side's of the story. The framework agreements, status of progress/delays from NICE side, NICE's basis for all accusations, and KA govt's defense.
shas3n's picture

URA files PIL against NICE

up
142 users have liked.

Kannada writer U R Anantamurty files a PIL against NICE regarding this issue. Source TOI.

-Shastri

-Shastri

silkboard's picture

the numbers keep changing

up
148 users have liked, including you.

Some other reports in the past had 'claimed' that NICE had less than 7000 acre excess land. This PIL (as reported by above TOI news) says 8000 acres? Are these numbers a joke?

I am very interested in knowing how they decide how much land is really needed to build the expressway. Actually, do we have expressway standards (idontspam), does IRC have anything? These PILs may end up setting these (lane width, distance of service road from main lanes, setback of service road from the fence, width of carriageway etc.

However, most of the land in "dispute" may be for the townships, and not expressway. I am not sure. Nobody is, this project is like a black-hole, information only goes in, never comes out!

idontspam's picture

Land specs in IRC

up
139 users have liked.
I am not aware of any IRC specifications for how much land is to be allocated. I am not sure if IRC goes into that. Land requirements depend on the carriageway and associated buffer.Technical drawings of the design are used to come up with the numbers and the drawings are used by the authorities to validate the claim and then matched against survey numbers based on the alignment. 
silkboard's picture

land need can indirectly come from standards, right?

up
146 users have liked.

No ids, no. Definitely don't expect land requirements to be stated directly in IRC. But that can certainly be deduced from expressway standards if they exist, carriageway width, lanw widths, emergency lane buffers, setback of service road from main lanes, and setback of fence from main lanes or service roads (expressways in India would certainly need to be fenced) - all this should give you the width. This multiplied by the length should give you the minimum land required for an expressway, righto?

I just wanted us to get some sense of these numbers - what exactly do 8000 or 7000 acres mean for a 134 km long expressway?

idontspam's picture

what exactly do 8000 or 7000

up
139 users have liked.

what exactly do 8000 or 7000 acres mean for a 134 km long expressway?

We will have to ask an expert for that answer. But, I am not sure they were all only for expressway. NICE had always wanted land for townships also as per FWA. I am not sure what were the townships that were to come up and what were the master plans for that. only RTI on how land requirements were estimated will tell.

silkboard's picture

must meet Kheny once

up
137 users have liked.

Yes IDS. Land is for expressway + the townships. But at least the expressway part should be clear via standards. Township needs - don't know if there would have been a formula for that, but thats a good question to ask - how they arrived at the numbers.

We have heard and read ESG/Leo Saldhana's story. We have been reading small drops of information in these news reports. But haven't heard NICE's story well enough. Can't be that they don't have a defense or "spin" on this excess land row.

On the job - will hunt his contacts and organize a Praja meeting. BTW, don't brand me pro or anti NICE yet. I only want to know, know it a little deeper than these newsmedia reports. Just curious.

These large PPPs, neither here or there. Our state must to learn to perfect them.

idontspam's picture

Dont blame you SB

up
155 users have liked.
If we are still being taken for a ride in PPP's i wont be surprised if there have been certain discrepancies 13 years ago when PPP was new. Having said that we have held the general populace hostage by holding up the road development while trying to do the good thing. We should be able to get the road developed and then fix the rest of the issues in parellel. 
tsubba's picture

NICE Townships & Expressway

up
150 users have liked.
According to initial proposal there would be an expressway between BLR & Mysore, a PRR around BLR and 5 townships. Bidadi, R'nagara, C'patna, and two near Mysore. What raised flags was when NICE sold lands for acquired for PRR(including interchange) for the machine tools association for a convention center near tumkur road. since then a slew of projects have been announced along the PRR including a film city and a park, not mention sites and rehabilitation of land losing villagers along or in the vicinity of the PRR. That is the critical question. How do these lands figure in the expressway, PRR and township scheme? IIRC all the recent petitions have een for lands around the PRR. none of the recent petitions for townships.

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | blog