Skip to Content

Protest Against Closure of HAL Airport

Dear Praja Friends

Below is a message from Lead India winner Rajendra Misra for your perusal. I hope you can make the time to come.

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

--------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

Public Protest against closure of HAL airport - Saturday - 17th May @ 4PM at HAL Airport on Arrival GATE

You all must have seen and heard various debates and concerns in various media about the genuine need for Bangalore to have TWO airports.

The industry captains, opinion makers, political leaders and public at large has been working through various forums and platforms including Public Interest Litigation to reach an acceptable solution to this problem. High Court and Supreme Court took cognisance of this fact and ordered the government to negotiate with BIAL in good faith to keep HAL airport open to reduce the public inconvenience and future proof air-traffic growth of Bangalore.

However as you might have read (Times of India - May 15th - Page 6), this negotiation was a clever ploy by the central government to garner public sympathy and vote for governing party by announcing that up to 80-seater planes will be allowed to fly before the election date, but just the day after the elections were over, announcing that HAL will be closed, without giving any reason or explanation.

This shows that public interest is the last priority for the government.

We are planning a Press Conference tomorrow (Friday-16th May) which will be followed by a Public Protest on Saturday - 17th May @ 4PM at HAL Airport - Arrival Gate.

This will be attended by industry captains, community leaders, airport users and common public.

We request you to please participate in the protest to make sure that government takes note of our concerns and does the needful.

Please note that we are not against BIAL. We are really concerned about the following facts -

1. BIAL is under-capacity airport -

BIAL Capacity - 12 Million, Current Traffic at HAL 11.2 Million and growing at 30% per annum. BIAL will CHOKE in the very first year of its operations. Compare this with Hyderabad - Capacity 12 Million, Current Traffic - 6.5 Million

2. Access to BIAL is far from being satisfactory

All roads leading to BIAL airport are already choked. Imagine what happens when airport opens. TOI conducted actual trips from various parts of the city and it took 1.5 to 2.5 Hrs to reach BIAL in non-peak Hrs when airport is still not open.

Going by the past record of our government, we do not expect any major increase in capacity of our roads in near future.

3. BIAL is a private Monopoly and we are at the mercy of private operator
In absence of any alternate airport, BIAL has put steep UDF (user fee) of Rs. 650 and Rs. 1000 for domestic and international passengers. What is the rational for thsi fee. They have got 4000 acre land from government and all other possible tax concessions. Also note that Government has contributed Rs 434.9 crores vs private partners spend of only Rs. 326.7 (Times of India - 15th May, Page -1).

So here we are, private operators are using public money to make windfall profits and taking public for a ride.

We SPEAK-UP now or remain silent for ever!

Look forward to seeing you at HAL airport on Saturday - 4PM - Arrival Gate.

PS: Please see below an interesting note by Mr. Ravichandar (Feedack Consulting) an Infrastructure expert and coordinator of erstwhile BATF.

Regards,

RK Misra

Please visit www.changeindia.in for details.

For updates please sms START CHANGE to 575758

************************************************************************************************************

ARTICLE FROM RAVICHANDAR - FEEDBACK Consulting

"I made some points at a recent BIC panel meet which I briefly reiterate:

First a confession – till Nov 2007 I was for honouring the sanctity of the contract and closing HAL. I have since revised my view and I shall present my case for being a 'turncoat' shortly.

A disclaimer – asking for HAL airport to remain open does not mean one is anti BIAL. BIAL is the future and is needed for the city. But HAL can co exist with BIAL being compensated.

The reasons why HAL should remain open (and none of them is about connectivity at all) :

· Future proofing is in the public interest. The capacity of BIAL is 12 mn passengers. We are currently at 10.5 mn passengers annually and we will reach current capacity by middle of 2009. With one runway the capacity can go to 14-15 mn passengers, a number that will be reached by mid 2010. The new runway (if it does come up) will not be before 2014 (admitted by BIAL and Govt). So expect shortage in capacity between 2011-14. I am not even referring to cargo which is reasonably messed up in the short term for the next year at BIAL

· One argument is that Hyd closed Begumpet so what is the big fuss? Hyd has a current demand of 6.5 mn passengers and an airport with a capacity of 12 mn passengers. Hyd and Blr situation not comparable.

· For a rapidly growing developing economy like India, conserving working infra assets makes sense (I do sound like Prakash Karat here). Closing down a working asset especially when it is known that we are going to run into a capacity constraint seems a silly thing to do. And spending Rs 4000 crores of public money on a high speed rail link from KSCA for a Rs. 2220 crores airport project is questionable when alternatives exist. And this spending for the fat cats is not going to go down well with aam aadmi.

· A private sector monopoly in the infra sector is not in the public interest particularly in the absence of a strong regulator. Someday we will chat about their revenue models. I think a duopoly will keep both parties honest in the interest of citizens.

· Closing HAL will be a self goal. Expect TN to announce a Hosur airport in due course post final closure. And expect that to join Hognekkal as an issue sometime down the line.

· 2 airports will strengthen State competitiveness, investments, job creation, et all.

The contract. It is not cast in stone. The Global tender did not have HAL closure as a promise. It was in 2004 just before the concession agreement was signed that BIAL insisted on it. And the Ministry of Civil Aviation agreed.

I realize a suggestion such as HAL to be open has consequences. Let me deal with them:

· It is not my case that HAL be kept open and BIAL can take a walk. BIAL is in the driver's seat with the contract. I am for users of HAL airport compensating BIAL on terms to be decided – the general public should not be made to pay for it. I think market can decide the demand and adjust supply accordingly – for instance the Mumbai-HAL fare can be 5500 and the Mumbai – BIAL fare can be 4200 and the difference is given to BIAL. This can be decided by auctioning slots too. BIAL could be made a shareholder in a HAL airport SPV.

· A point that is made is that PPP will suffer if we go back on the contract. I don't think so. Business will come where money is to be made and India is gold rush territory. It will suffer if there is arbitrariness in the decision to keep HAL open. If there is compensation to BIAL then rule of law applies. For eg. in a recent Peru airport, 70 odd conditions were renegotiated. The PPP models are imperfect and they are being honed with each experience.

· BIAL claims they will make huge losses and folks have bid at the airport expecting a monopoly. A public hearing on finances should help get a sense of the 'loss'. In their original projections they expected less than 7 mn passengers this year. If it is proven BIAL is financially devastated then HAL should not be open.

Finally, I repeat it is not about connectivity and travel time to BIAL which will be a hassle in the short term. It's about a few other issues I have tabled. You may or may not agree. I rest my case.

Cheers

Ravi"

hari's picture

Politician or you - What difference?

What a joke - if things don't go your way - scream foul. There is a contract - where the heck were you when the contract was written up - where were you when the damn politicians postponed the buiilding of the airport for 15 years. Where was all that energy when it was needed.

Now you want to score some cheap publicity - now that an airport is finally ready to open - You are ready to go ahead and rip off contracts - So what is the big difference between you and that crummy politician who makes promises that are never fulfilled. Nothing...

s_yajaman's picture

Public interest is last priority for govt - is that news?

It seems to have dawned quite early on Misra that public interest is the last priority of the government. 

where were these industry captains when the government sat on its backside and did nothing significant to improve connectivity from South Bangalore to Yelahanka?  Some of them did not even vote in the elections that just happened. 

The very same HAL airport which was described as a disgrace (have you seen the shock on first time passengers who arrive) is now being touted as a paragon of virtue. 

I landed in HAL Airport a week back from HIAL and there was a 50-person queue for the pre-paid taxi, no autos in the pre-paid auto stand.  I walked outside and took a bus.  .  When it rains there is no covered walkway to reach the pre-paid taxi (which usually waits on the road where MSIL is).  There are no buses from the airport to any part of the city.  This somehow is acceptable because the industry captains have cars waiting for them to whisk them away home or to their offices

Sorry - this does not cut much ice with me.

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

silkboard's picture

The HAL movie

The HAL movie is sure turning interesting. I liked that 80 seater announcement spin, there may be some truth to that.

In case HAL does close, a few memories will be etched in my mind for sometime.

1) Arrival area. Three HAL staff were carrying 100s of luggage carts back inside. Few of us walking out were caught unaware when they made the giant snake/train do a sharp curve which made it bump into the back of our legs hurting us bad. And then, one of the employees came over. "Sir, you educated no sir. Can't you see we are doing important work here." After the shock blew over, we wondered, "did he mean 'not blind' when he actually said 'educated', or is it that only educated people can see in all ten directions".

2) Arrived with a colleague, entered the domestic baggage belt area. They had sprayed the mosquito repellent gas, so much of it, that I couldn't see people standing just about a meter away.

3) Departure time. Waiting for a flight to Chennai, which was announced to be on time. All of a sudden, they announce - 70 minutes delay. I ask for an explanation, none is given. After about 90 minutes, airline staff (Paramount) says, "there was an air force event, these are not announced ahead of time, and we have no control over them". Call it civil-military cooperation!

4) International arrival baggage claim area - baggages hadn't arrived for over 50 minutes. And a quarrel commences, an angry activist passenger threatens a customs officer accusing him to be responsible for the delay. War of words turned overly engaging, and then we came to know that the delay was because the luggage trolley pulling tractor had run into a problem. "Do they have just one of them?", I overheard and was sure that they have more.

5) Was walking towards an Indigo flight, when a dog stood on my path. I thought of registering a complaint, but didn't have time to go back to AAI officer. A few weeks later, I heard the news about a dog hitting that KF flight during take-off.

My only wish is that if our leaders end up keeping HAL open, I be spared more such memorable moments.

BTW, a friend recently teased me, "I heard Bangalore is running over capacity, can we re-open the old capitals Mysore and Hampi?". I could only smile, but held myself back from replying with this, "BBMP doesn't impose a UDF yet, but they soon may (CVS). And then we will ...".

Devesh's picture

Srivathsa.......................

Hi Srivathsa

You know my stand on this. I have no special love for HAL airport. To me it is having more infrastructure and capacity for Bangalore. As I see it, what is the harm in keeping HAL airport open for additional capacity ?

All along, have you seen anyone who is demanding to keep HAL open, ask for BIAL to be closed, or even delayed ?

Its is BIAL promoter from Germany that is threatening the government that unless you close HAL down, we will not let BIA open. I have heard with my own ears, far more threatening language used by the BIAL counsel, to the Hon'ble Chief Justice during the High Court case.

BIAL keeps claiming the the contract is inviolable, yet the contract has been changed twice since its original signing.

BIAL says it will undergo a MAJOR financial loss, yet its accounts are opaque. Incidentally a very senior "little birdie" told me that BIAL's HR costs are out of control, primarily due to all the foreigners they have in the management are drawing salaries that are "huge". Just visit the BIAL website, please identify to me how many Indians you find listed in the management.

Examine the timing of the recent events i.e. the last 1 month. Sometimes RK sees conspiracies, but do read his article. The "re-negotiation" meeting was not attended by Hon'ble Minister, nor Joint Secretary, lasted less than 1 hour, and was not even minuted!!! What kind of "re-negotiation" was this ?

The court is in Summer vacation. Will open on Monday 26th. Results come on 25th. Why close HAL on 22nd ? I say, open BIA on 22nd, defer the HAL closure decision.

I personally met with the 7 major domestic airlines operating from Bangalore. ALL of them, accepted to fly dual operations from Bangalore BIA and HAL. A note was sent to MoCA. Yet in the press, the reason is that airlines did not accept.

And as far as your statement about Industry captains and elitists ........ boss, I am a very small company. The true elitist mega industrialists could not care less where the airport is. They will have a chauffer driven Merc or Beemer or Audi, or fly the proposed helicopter service, and debit the whole cost including the UDF very casually to their company account.

It's you and me who are going to get hosed.

In a democracy should I not have at least the right to voice my protest without being accused or pilloried ?

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

The HAL movie

SB

Some cool instances :)) Somehow I missed all of those, during my heydays when I was on board a flight every 2nd day.

Incidentally, the "air force" movement that was unannounced was VIP movement. Nothing moves for 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after a VIP movement, ANYWHERE in India. 

All said and done, it does raise an interesting question. If HAL airport is so bad, then why would anyone fight to keep it open ?  And hold that thought.  If we do manage to convince the government to keep it open, why would passengers, then, use it ?

What is the redeeming feature of HAL that so threatens BIAL ? 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
s_yajaman's picture

Devesh - industry captain was not at you :)

Devesh,

The industry captain was not at you at all.  I am an even smaller entrepreneur. 

I have lived long enough to know that industry captains don't really have public interests in their hearts - not as industry captains.  If that were the case the least our IT captains could do is to instruct their cab drivers to drive decently in this city when ferrying people and not harass other drivers with their incessant honking and high beams.

Of course one has a right to protest.  And I have a right to my opinions and to voice them :). 

I don't buy the private monopoly argument from RK as he does not have the same quarrel with HIAL.  Changi is a monopoly and it is arguably one of the best airports in the world.  Same for Sydney.  Same for HK.  Same for Bangkok.  Same for Kansai.  The potential monopolistic situation was never a secret. 

He again raises the access question.  So is it about the access then? 

At the end of the day I take maybe 4 flights a month. 

BTW - airline growth has tapered off to about 9%.  When oil hits USD150 I doubt the 30% YOY will continue.

Srivathsa

Devesh's picture

Air Traffic vs. GDP

Points noted.

Incidentally, Changi and Chep Lap Kok, are government owned, but then these countries have a hire and fire rule.

It is an accepted rule of thumb that air traffic grows at 2X to 2.5X that of GDP. By 9% growth, it means that India's GDP this year will slow down to 4.5% or lower. I wonder how many people will still have a job ?

Being an optimist, I would like to believe that growth will be 8% and therefore air traffic will grow 16%. Plus let us not forget pent-up international demand. BIAL has forecasted 65% in international alone. That means 1 million passengers. We are at about 10.4mn today and the declared terminal capacity is 12 million. In one year the terminal is full. In 2 years the runway is full.

An interesting story about the terminal dated back in 2006. Check my blog http://aviation.deveshaga....

BTW, I have a copy of that amendment to the so called "inviolable" contract. 

What then. We all assume there is a second runway. A little BIAL birdie told me during my visit, that even if the second runway is approved, it will be burdened with restrictions. Assuming only 50% capacity, that is 22.5 million, and that number will be reached by 2014. Only 6 years from now.

After that what ?

As I said in TOI, its time we start thinking about a 3rd airport.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
s_yajaman's picture

Air traffic growth data and March IIP

Devesh,

FYI.  Air traffic growth link.

http://sify.com/finance/fullstory.php?id=14674266

March IIP was 3% vs YA.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Economy/At_3_IIP_runs_out_of_steam/articleshow/3034529.cms

Srivathsa

Devesh's picture

Air traffic growth data and March IIP

Yes, I read that story this morning. There is a global slowdown.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
narayan82's picture

Seriously...

I've been subscribing to almost every english paper! Its only 1 paper that seems to be taking interest in this issue. Others don't even term it as a major event. In fact it is interesting to note how each paper interprets HC/SC decision it its own way. I don't think the "public" are a majority in this decision. I have gone out and asked random people, what they feel about the New airport - and everyone welcomes it. Yes they do say "now I have travel for a longer time :(", but agree that airports cannot be in thier backyards. I see Bangaloreans fed up with much more Macro level issues - and this to me seems to be one of the much smaller ones. I have spoken to many other activists, senior citizens, and people who are aware of the cities happenings, and all have voiced thier "un-concern" for this issue. Personally (and this is just me who maybe very insignificant) - I still am not convinced. Look at it - I have nothing - absouloutely nothing to gain by supporting either side. I just decided to pro-actively find out more about both sides of the story - from various sources - and I dont mean reading newspapers.And the argument of keeping HAL airport open isn't compelling enough. Again, this is just an insignficant 1 person - hence I dont think it should affect your argument.
Narayan Gopalan
User Interaction Designer
Bangalore
kbsyed61's picture

My Passions !

Devesh Sab,

If I were you, I would have put my energies somewhere where there is benefit to majority and somethings that can be improved and fixed. Instead of exhausting myself on HAL issue, I would take a proactive steps that might help BIAL to expedite the expansion and expansion which meets the requirements - Present and Future. I would spend my energies in getting BIAL to do what they did not do in the first round.

If my priority is Bangalore and its air travel, I would leave no stone unturned to see that upcoming expansions doesn't get hoodwinked (if any) like the initial phase.

I would do all in my power to get across to BIAL and its management to incorporate the best and excellent infrastructure for the expansion. If BIAL doesn't listen:

1.      I will get onto nerves of MoCA, GOK, KSIIDC and AAI for doing their bit to get BIAL to do what is needed. RTIs, PILS, people's campaign, pull strings from political friends and foes. Protests, Dharnas and what not?

2.      I will explore and pressurize the Indian stake holders like L&T to force BIAL to do the right thing in expansion. I will not hesitate to convey the message of about future projects in Karnataka and other states. You can use the same tactics as that was used with GE for isolating Bechtel in Enron Project take over. Ambanis did the talking to GE with some plain talking on future business for GE turbines and others machineries India Buys from GE.

Our efforts for upcoming infrastructure hold the tests of our passions and concerns for Bangalore. 

In the end, as a citizens of India, we all have the right to protest and express our anguish.

Hota hai Raaz-E-Ishq unhein se faash, Ankhen Zaban to nahin magar be-zuban bhi nahin

Syed

pbanavara's picture

Two airports

Honestly, if HAL has to be kept open it has to be renovated and traffic movement restricted to 80% capacity so that flights can land and take off in time. With soaring fuel costs, every drop of gas saved matters for the airlines. Right now they have to hover for 45-50 minutes in air waiting for landing space thereby losing money and also polluting the environment. 

Keeping both the airports open will foster competition and also load sharing. Airlines will not be at the mercy of one airport, but definitely HAL has to be renovated and brought up to international standards. There's certainly no harm in keeping both the airports open. I don't know if it's possible but HAL airport can also be privatised, there by offerening a more appropriate competing ground.

navshot's picture

I will NOT be there...

I will NOT be there... because I don't agree to some of the things there. Ofcourse, I agree to some of the points like future capacity could be an issue and UDF is a bit on the higher side.

First, public inconvenience is used as a reason. As we have reasoned in the past, its going to be inconvenient for public if HAL is kept open in the long run. Are we going to guarantee that all destinations covered by HAL (if kept open) would be covered by BIAL too?

Taking cue from s_yajaman on voting, I'd like someone who would be present there to count number of protestors with that brown mark on left index finger... I bet they would be a minority!
-- navshot
vmenon's picture

must give some credit

Though I am very very very against the keep HAL open campaign , I must give credit where its due.

It is amazing to see lobbycracy work..how a small section of society have been able to bring an issue(non issue?) to the forefront and more importantly seem to be right...and actually take the "we the public"stance.

This "we the public" stance  hurts my sensibilties very much, but what the hell, this mail is about giving credit!! 

Therefore kudos to the power of media and  dedication of a few( however wrong they are!!)

Now if only this power can be brought to action on more relevant issues effecting banglaore!!I think i am asking for too much here since there is a corprotish slant to the "keep HAL open " campaign.Corporate banglaore is not exactly known to collectively take up causes of amm admi!!

Should I go to the protest site and put up a "close HAL" sign?But then I would be participating on a no issue too , i guess.

christopher's picture

I do agree that people have

I do agree that people have a right to protest. But I definitely do not agree to this protest. If this hue and cry about the connectivity to the airport has been raised about a year or 2 ago we would not have been in this situation. I agree that a 2 airport model would be fine for bangalore. But HAL is definitely not a good option for a second airport. The problem with HAL is the location. Reaching HAL is a pain. And I don't see how this can be improved. Atleast with BIAL work is going on regarding the connectivity(although very slowly) and there is scope for connectivity improvement with BIAL. HAL airport is a shame on Bangalore. Right from the entry of the airport to the gates, the experience is pathetic.

narayan82's picture

I couldn't agree with you

I couldn't agree with you more. Well said.
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Devesh's picture

If HAL is so bad ......... why is BIAL scared

A very simple question to all the people who dislike HAL airport. If HAL is such a shamble and so bad, why is BIAL so vehemently opposed to keeping it open ?  What scares them ?  It knows that the truth will come out soon, and this issue is now loud enough where people will not forget.

And as I have said before, we do not keep circling around Bangalore because the air-side is handled by HAL. Compare to other airports in India which are handled by AAI ATC, which incidentally will also control BIAL. ;)

We blame the terminal, but that is owned and run by AAI, who is a part of the BIAL company. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
navshot's picture

Whiners?

Devesh,

I can understand the kind of pressure you are under. My personal advice - please don't get worked up and spoil your image that you have created in this forum. Yes, action counts, but I disagree that those who don't do something tangible other than to debate are whiners. I'm sure you haven't read this FAQ:

http://bangalore.praja.in...

-- navshot
Devesh's picture

My apologies

My sincere apologies.

----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
kbsyed61's picture

Open letter to R K Mishra !

This comment has been moved here.
silkboard's picture

Some more points (and Hosur?)

Devesh's picture

An activist's view on RGIA Hyderbad

I received this e-mail from an activitist friend of a friend. While there are important differences between BIAL and RGIA, at least BIAL is a result of a transparent tender instead of hand-picked "selection", if you read in between the lines, the real reason of why private airports are being so heavily favoured by Netas and bureaucrats, can be arrived at.

As pragmatic business person, I share the some of the concerns especially the facilities and security (or rather lack of it). I am especially alarmed at the lack of any response by either the airlines or the public. During our industry meetings, I too had said, what is the harm in letting HAL close, and let us see if BIAL delivers. I was cautioned that the Indian public gives up its rights too easily and forgets things. I guess that is what is happening at Hyderabaad, and what BIAL and MoCA, and GoK are banking on.

--------------------------

Hi

As you are probably aware, there is a difference between BIAL and the GMR Rajiv Gandhi Airport.

BIAL was awarded through a tendering process while GMR was handpicked and via a MOU. Capacity issues are more important in Bangalore than in Hyderabad (current traffic 6.5 to 7.0 Million
v/s current capacity of 12 Million).

But, unfortunately in India, even the private sector has started working worse than the public sector. One would have thought that the whole planning and operations teams would have traveled to the best
airports in the world and adopted the best practices, but it is not so.

The main problems are:

1. Connectivity:
Please see:
http://www.newhyderabadai...
http://www.newhyderabadai...

Enough has been said about this already. Out of the 3 proposed approaches only one is partially ready (property acquisition for road widening still in progress). The PVR expressway was supposed to be ready by March 2008 and has now been pushed back to Dec 2009. The first phase of the Outer Ring Road (ORR) is nowhere near completion and target date has now been shifted to Oct 2008. The Hyderabad - Bangalore railway line passes to within 8 Kms of the terminal and no one ever thought of using that to solve connectivity issues. As a result of poor connectivity and Hyderabad's traffic woes, average time to reach the airport is between 75 minutes to 105 minutes depending on where you are. Only consolation is for those people who are staying in the Mehdipatnam/Toli Chowki area which are about a 30 minutes drive away.

2. Transport:

GMR operates exclusive non-stop bus service from 4 points in the city. Fare is Rs. 95/- per trip with a frequency of 30 minutes between 0330 to 2330 and hourly during rest of the time. The Airport has its own taxi service and charges are exhorbitant...from my residence (which is 3 Kms from Sec'bad railway station) about Rs 1200.00. You can travel to the airport by other cab companies but cannot be picked up. Two wheelers are not allowed and neither are autos. They are restricted to the point on the Hyd-Bangalore highway from where the airport road starts. By the way do not be fooled by the distances indicated on the GMR website of on the signboards all over the city...they do not include the distance of about 8 Kms from teh highway to the terminal !

3. Facilities at the Airport :
Are good for the passengers. They are woefully inadequate for visitors, customs officers and other service personnel. Including to the point that there are frequent news reports about tiffs between customs/immigration officers and the private security guards for using the washrooms! They have a place called "The Village" where visitors can meet arriving passengers...but there is no seating. On my last visit, I found the ubiquitous Neel Kamal brand white colored plastic chairs strewn all over the place. The cargo terminal and handling is in a mess. Everyone passes the buck to everyone else since there are no responsibilities fixed and no coordination between airlines, customs, cargo agents, couriers or security. No one knows who is responsible for what. Courier companies (like Blue Dart) have had to rework their schedules because it takes more than 4 hours to clear the bags as against 30 minutes earlier. The cargo terminal does not even have a a washroom !

4. Coordination:
Very poor with absolutely no responsibility fixed on anyone. I have land adjacent to the airport where I was planning to put up a "common warehouse" facility or office space. Its been 7 months since I was shuttled across from GMR to AAI to DGCA to the Ministry just to find out who is supposed to give permission for construction in the "funnel" area. Immigration does not coordinate with Airlines so immigration counters are short of the required number since no staff to man them.

5. Monopoly situation:
This airport has opened my eyes to the fact that a private monopoly in our country is the worst business model one can have. Exclusive taxi services only, exclusive car rental services only, exclusive coffee outlet (Rs 50 per coffee), exclusive bus service (APSRTC was forced to discontinue service citing poor response..but everyone knows the real reason), private security not allowing you to use escalators citing you are not passenger, exclusive office space by GMR for cargo agents/CHA's/couriers (at Rs 80/- per Sft), exclusive Hotel coming up at the airport...everything seems to be exclusive.

The only bright point is that they crossed 1 million passengers in the first 50 days. And the fact that Hyderabad has become a refueling hub due to a drastic reduction in Sales tax on ATF. Airlines are parking aircraft in Hyd in order to start the first flights early morning to take advantage of this. Although this can be construed as a indirect "public subsidy" to GMR, but who cares ?

Have a look at the following media references:

http://www.thehindubusine...
http://www.dnaindia.com/r...
http://economictimes.indi...
http://www.business-stand...
http://www.hindu.com/2008...
http://www.deccan.com/Mon...

Bye
---------------------

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
jammy97's picture

Some Ironical facts!!

Here are some ironical facts about people complaining against closure of HAL airport

1. People don't complain of travelling close to 2 hours each day from ITPL to Jayanagar areas(in each direction), when they can complain of travelling to BIAL once in a while (atleast for most people).
2. IT cos can complain of 'connectivity' to BIAL, when outside their own company backyard, there are bad roads that their own employees have to put up with everyday (check the road leading directly to navigator building outside ITPL) !!
3. We can file RTI's/PIL's against BIAL, but not against bad roads (BDA, BMRDA.....the list is endless)

Devesh's picture

PILs / RTIs can be filed by anyone

Jammy anyone can file a PIL or RTI. 

Similarly, anyone can choose to work at a company with bad roads or not.

This is a free country, but too often, let people trample our rights. 

Do you not feel it is time for action ? 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
narayan82's picture

Action Unified

Yes PILs can be filed in anyway - by anyone! But lets reason out before we do, I'm not syaing trample your rights but look at things from various perspectives, listen to other's opinions, then file your PIL. If we all filed PILs complementing each others and worked maybe in a unified way - then the force would much stronger. But if we all fought against each other's PILs and in all directions, I don't see a result! I see more delays more arguments and no action! Which is why I refuse to join PILs against Keeping HAL open - we're just fighting each other!
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
kbsyed61's picture

Good info !

Devesh Sab,

Thanks for once gain posting some eye opening facts about RGIA.

From the post it is being said that no matter what model (Private, PPP, Public Sector or 100% government run) you choose, you will end up with its own challenges and shortcomings. There is no one 100% perfect model. I fully concur on this. Neither pure capitalism works nor pure socialism.

This also exhibit the limits of Human kind. However they smart, professional, brilliant, subject experts and thoughtful are, you will end up overlooking some important aspects. Sometimes profits / greed also comes into play.

Also this shows that we as Indians need to go a bit more in perfecting the art of building decent / world class public infrastructures. lets be honest to ourselves.

But still I would like to give credit to both GMR and BIAL for finishing it on a reasonable time. They might have fall short of genuine expectations but still give them credit where they deserve. Otherwise it would have been in the same mess as that of the flyovers and highway projects in our cities.

Thanks,

Syed

Rakesh KR's picture

I think it is foul play

I think it is foul play by BIAL to have preponed the shutting of HAL and opening date of BIAL to May 23 when the Karnataka High court is in vacation. Everybody knows PIL have been filed with high /supreme court for HAL airport continuation and pending case.

Civil aviation ministry re-negotiation with BIAL on May 12th looked more like a comedy show than a meeting. To me it looked like the government officials acted like good obedient "yes sir" men for BIAL. Did anybody from MoCA remember about public interest in retaining HAL airport? I doubt so.

Rakesh.

Rakesh.
amaku's picture

Runway Separation

Folks,

According my my research the minimum required runway spacing for independent parallel approaches (ICAO) is 3400ft. or slightly more than 1km.

http://www.nlr.nl/id~4512...

Regards,

--amaku

silkboard's picture

1 km?

May be I dont understand the exact definition of jargons "approach", "separation" and "runway". But at San Francisco airport (SFO), I have often seen two planes land at two parallel "runways" (see map below) almost at the same time (you can see the other plane landing with you - the two literally land together). And these two 'runways' are about 250 m apart.

Javascript is required to view this map.
Nags123's picture

Silkboard --> Good

Silkboard --> Good Article.

Any of forum members have info like where supports HAL airport (BT Lady, Misra, Bidapa, ..etc ) live. I suspect majority of the live in Indira/HAL/ K Mangala. Where are you Mr Pai  when your boss was chairman of BIAL?

I dont support keeping HAL airport open. We have to to wait 1 hr for checking in, 1 hr to collect baggage (it is more if it is a INTL flight). What is the use of such airport. We dont have  additional flights because of capacity issue.

Rgds

Nag

Nags123's picture

Hi,   Everybody knew that

Hi,

Everybody knew that congress does not want airport to be opened before's Blore's poll date. Now Bangalore accounts for around 30 seats & they dont want  to get wrath of people. ( I doubt how many so called educated people voted in this election,this is a separate issue)

Why existing airport has to be kept for benifit of few?  Where these people have gone when agreement was signed. Why didnt NRN speak when he was BIAL chairman. Why Bangaloreans to be deprived of good airport when Hyderabad is having new airport.

Need of hour get all magic boxes in place ASAP. 

Widen road along palace ground 

Rgds

Nag

narayan82's picture

Runway Capacity?

an Interesting thought - As I see it Heathrow has only 2 Active runways (the third is a short cross-wind runway) but still they cater to 68 million passengers.
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
silkboard's picture

Seeing both sides well

Devesh's picture

PPP should never be a monopoly

Syed

The BIAL and HIAL management have shown the need to ensure competition especially larger projects, if nothing else, but to ensure a good deal for the populace.

It goes to the old addage. There is nothing like a benevolent dictatorship.

We all rave about RGIA and BIAL building airport buildings quickly. I have lived overseas (USA, and Singapore) for 20 of my 43 years, and have flown over 4 million miles (which probably explains my passion with airports). I am impressed by the speed of L&T on the trumpet interchange, but while 3 years is commendable for BIAL and RGIA, it is not anywhere as great an achievement as people are gushing.

Infosys puts up buildings in 9 months. Sobha developers, Embassy, and Prestige, today lift 1 million sq ft every 3 weeks regularly. When I built our office, the civil part of the building is completed in less than 4 months. It is the interiors, ancillary, and the details that take 6 - 8 months to complete.

If you see carefully, there a major aspects of the airport that are incomplete. Some are very important details. For instance, due to the open area and nearby lakes, Devanahalli suffers from fog. BIAL actually needs Cat II ILS and their equipment is Cat II ready. But their glide-slope is at 3.5 degrees which is why they are starting the airport with only Cat I status, just like HAL today. They are going to try and fix it before the winter season comes. Otherwise .........

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

Runway Separation and SFO airport

Hi Amaku and Silkboard

The 1035 meter runway separation is only under PRM (Precision Runway Monitor) systems which are under the PBN (Peformance Based Navigation) plan. I am not aware of either of these systems being implemented in India.

SB, 250 meters is why SFO operates only 1 runway at any one time. I think they are trying a concept of dependent parallel approaches. I quote a line from Wikipedia "It is not uncommon for SFO to experience significant delays in adverse weather, when only one of the airport's four runways can be used at a time, due to a lateral separation of only 750 feet between runways"

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Naveen N's picture

Devesh, Is this a late

Devesh,

Is this a late realization on the part of the protesters that PPP's shouldn't be monopolies? It was known for 4 years that BIAL would be a monopoly not only in Bangalore but also the region because of the 150 km clause. These last minute protests, and the claims from the protesters that they are representing the public, and being backed by a single media conglomerate, ring hollow now!! Have they done a dipstick on connectivity to HAL from North and West Bangalore. Why is South and East Bangalore so over represented amongst this group? All this points out to the simple fact that connectivity to BIAL is the main cause thats creating a lot of heartburn for people who had HAL in their backyards. For people who lobbied for a private 10 km elevated road into their offices, they could've done a lot more to alleviate connectivity to BIAL. I'm sorry to say this and it may sound personal, but this group has never spoken on behalf of the common Bangalorean on the airport issue and never will. So I've been personally forced to be anti-HAL even though I've no preferences for either BIAL or HAL just because the pro-HAL messengers have lost credibility in my eyes.

kbsyed61's picture

More the reason now ...............

Devesh Sab,

No body here is raving about BIAL being world class or state of the art. 3 years time also is not being touted as a world record time or so. if any credit is given is only in comparison with works that government agencies do and the time it takes. The credit given is same level as that being given to L&T for trumpet.

In 36 montsh or so a infrastructure is ready for use. Might not be a world class. Unless you and other aviation experts tells us that BIAL is still not functionally ready for use or start on May 23rd. If it is so, you have my vote for delay in BIAL start.

You have listed many important aspects that needs to be completed at BIAL. Now there is more the reason for fighting/puuting efforts to ensure that BIAL take up all the unfinished works and also start building the 2nd phase of the airport.

My worry is, in this HAL airport issue, we are sidelining the need for efforts/fight for BIAL to deliver what is promised in the master plans.

Devesh, I am a very optimistic person.  But lately on BIAL's saga, I am having the apprehension that BIAL might meet the same fete as "C-DOT". Public sector (ITI) individual interests in collision with private corporate made sure that C-DOT doesn't remain on the telecom horizon. In the end we know where both C-DOT and ITI are.

That reminds  me of a couplet in Urdu

"HUM IDHAR KE RAHE NA UDHAR KE, NA SANAM MILE NA SANAM KADE"

(Neither we get here nor there, Neither we get our beloved nor the temple) 

Regards,

Syed

Devesh's picture

Location, Location, Location

Nag and SB

Please do not assume a conspiracy behind everything. May be there is no selfishness. Prasad Bidappa lives on the north side of town.'

Dr. Vijay Chandru who lives near IISc was at the press conference. He is a PhD from MIT and the head of Operations Research Society of India. A specialist in time-motion he is an expert on traffic flows. He supports HAL airport becuase a single BIAL will increase traffic in central Bangalore 200%.

Your approach seems to be a tit-for-tat approach. All these years we had one airport on the eastern part of Bangalore, so now lets stick it to those guys from South.

It does not work that way. Kiran Mazumdar can afford to own her own helicopter let alone worry about the cost of the heli shuttle service, but she is there.

Multiple hubs is a concept understood by Railways and KSRTC, but we "educated" people are trying to draw selfishness into all actions. May be the politicians have got their hooks in to us. 

But all of us are not politicians.

Right now the the issues that plague us are capacity and monopoly. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Devesh's picture

No one is stopping BIAL except BIAL itself

Nag,

Not ONE person who is protesting the closure of HAL has said stop BIAL. We are all in favour of BIAL. I personally requested senior officers to please open BIAL on 29th (this is before the 12th meeting) but to also keep HAL open till the capacity issues are looked in to in detail.

It is BIAL that is holding the gun to the government's head and saying either close HAL or we will not open BIAL.

Welcome to the PR world of BIAL. Get the truth perverted, and welcome to the monopoly. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD

BIAL and HAL.

The hypocrisy of the IT/BT honchos has been revealed during the various campaigns and litigation initiated by them culminating with the protest at the airport on Friday demanding the retention of the HAL Airport after the BIAL airport is commissioned. Everyone in the city knew that a new airport was being constructed a few years ago. The honchos, being a privileged and pampered lot unlike most common people, were provided an opportunity to participate in several government forums directly and indirectly and must have been fully aware that the connectivity to the new airport was just not taking off. Instead of raising the flag and organising protests and initiating litigation in public interest to demand parallel work on connectivity they chose to remain silent. They believed every fairy tale put out by the government including the magic underpass one much akin to the tale of the emperor's new clothes. They seem to have conveniently also over looked the travelling travails of passengers to the HAL airport from areas in the North and West of Bangalore. It seems that most frequent flyers live in the South and East of Bangalore. What started off as a connectivity issue has now been conveniently spun into a capacity issue which shows a total lack of consistency. Perhaps it has become fashionable in those circles to join the protest. Neither have they thought through the critical resources required to run a second airport like Air Traffic Controllers nor have they come out with suggestions on how this can be addressed in the short time available. It seems best to let BIAL start and if the capacity constraints raised by the honchos prove true then it will be befitting to force BIAL to either demonstrate ability to rapidly expand or allow HAL Airport to resume functioning with adequate planned resources. After all HAL airport will continue to be an operational airport and not go to seed and is only being shut down for commercial traffic. Until then let BIAL fly. Best regards C N Kumar
Rakesh KR's picture

Dear CNkumar,  Please

Dear CNkumar, 

Please be aware that the traffic projections made by BIAL for Bangalore at the time of agreement was way below than what is today in reality. Considering the huge increase in traffic than estimated and only single runway for BIAL, a second airport is must for smooth operations during peak hours. Hyderabad maynot need a second airport for its traffic but Bangalore definitely does need now consdering the huge growth in  passenger traffic.

And if HAL is closed, what is the guarantee it will remain an airport? HAL airport is in prime land of airport road/Murugeshpalya and many real estate guys are already eyeing the location for shopping malls. Isnot it a waste of national resources to shut down a working airport and convert to shopping mall when everybody knows that BIAL capacity cannot handle additional flights? 

I request people to be realistic and consider the convenience of air travellers first and before everything else. To be frank, I dont like the way BIAL is handling the situation at gunpoint ordering government, courts and people by charging fancy UDF and to shut down HAL airport for a factory shed like airport called BIAL. . Either we go down in history as a sham banana democratric country like those in Africa or a nation with people having spine to speak out their needs.

We need to understand first whether BIAL is here to help us to cmplement and augment our air traffic needs or whether we have to obey dictates of BIAL in future.

Rakesh.

Rakesh.
tsubba's picture

bottomline

//It seems best to let BIAL start and if the capacity constraints raised by the honchos prove true then it will be befitting to force BIAL to either demonstrate ability to rapidly expand or allow HAL Airport to resume functioning with adequate planned resources. After all HAL airport will continue to be an operational airport and not go to seed and is only being shut down for commercial traffic. Until then let BIAL fly.// very well put. considering the way fuel is going, if we are on the projected demand curve, then they must use HAL to ensure that BIAL develops devanahalli to the fullest possible extent.
bangalore-guy's picture

I beg to differ.

Dear Rakesh, When you say

I request people to be realistic and consider the convenience of air travellers first and before everything else.

I would like to ask you, why ? What is the percentage of the population who use air as a means of transport. Frankly speaking, I dont know. But would be surprised if it is more than 3-4 %. So why should be the convenience of a few people considered first.

To be frank, I dont like the way BIAL is handling the situation at gunpoint ordering government, courts and people by charging fancy UDF and to shut down HAL airport for a factory shed like airport called BIAL. . Either we go down in history as a sham banana democratric country like those in Africa or a nation with people having spine to speak out their needs.

They are not pointing a gun. They have an agreement done with the government and they just want it to be honoured. Do not blame BIAL for the goof-ups that government and babus have done to you. Just because BIAL has come from a private company (not entirely though, there are other stakeholders aswell) you are pointing fingers. What if it was constructed by our own govt/AAI, would you be so vociferous.

PS: BTW, I dont work for BIAL Wink

Nags123's picture

Dear friend,  HAL airport

Dear friend,

HAL airport outlived its life. BIAL claims rapid exit ways to accomodate more flights, it is not the just the runway.

It is up to HAL/Defence land belonging to them. There are the owner of the hand. Let BCCF fight or go to court if anybody encroaches HAL land or HAL sells land at throwaway price. We can support the them.

BIAL didnt drop from sky. They started construction 3.5 years back. Where are these guys who are fighting against BIAL? (Including some prominent Bangalorean who  was chairman of BIAL for some time.) Nobody anticipated growth when project started but BIAL tried to increase capacity. When HAL can  handle 3 times the capacity,  BIAL can always handle 30 % above existing capcity.

Rgds

Nag

Nags123's picture

Being in South Blore (ares

Being in South Blore (ares like BSK II/III stage/ Srinagar/ Giri Nagar/ Jaya Nagar 8th Block/ South end/ Padmanabha Nagar ..) , have only 2 approach roads, take BTM ring Road --> K Mangala Ring Road or Use Minerva/Double Road --> Residency Road --> Airport Road (second option is lil better..)

It may be slightly off the topic. If you had experinace in buying independent house in upmarket BDA areas like Indira nagar/ HAL II stage / K mangala, earlier brokers use to tell "Illinda airport 10 minutes, 15 minutues.. etc" . This being one of reason why this area was expensive compared eqally good BDA layouts. Once BIAL opens, this selling tactic cant be used.  Same holds good for  people who purchased property by paying crores of Rs & it does not appreciate further  or high chances it may goes down further.  This is a good chance for residents of this area to fight to keep HAL airport open.

This is similar to one famous politician (x-Chairmain of Ktk Women commision) who is  fighting against metro track coming on CMH Road. The reason is being that person construcuted a house few years back on CMH rd which worth crores of Rs.

Note: I does not own any property on NH7 or North Blore.

Economic self-interest

There is really no problem in a person acting on an issue out of pure economic self interest in mind. Everyone does it one way or the other. People with investments / property close to HAL are well within their legitimate rights to ask for retainment of HAL.

What is wrong is the blatant promotion of self interest in the form of greed by the Iron ore mafia, the bus lobby, the liqour mafia et al. These sort of activities destroy our nation.

Political Economic policy is dictated by the maxium of greatest good for the greatest number of people.

Majority of the current air travellers would not relish the fact that HAL will be shut down. 

narayan82's picture

Economic self-interest?

Yes, in the city everyman survives buy himself! But then when do you say, one persons Economic Self Interest is greater than others? And if say any one is rewarded/granted what he/she is seeking, what's unfair in doing the same to all? - pretty much stalling all projects!
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
vivek_shankar153's picture

HAL airport issue

Hi all,

I have been following the debates on the 2 airport thing.

I always felt HAL airport should never be used as a domestic airport let alone an international airport.

the connectivity to the present HAL airport is lousy the airport road itself is so narrow.

that is the first thing. secondly the capacity of this airport itself is limited and lousy.

The only way out now is to improve the connectivity to the present airport which is a far better option.

I know people will talk of travelling time and all that but since the metro work is going on travelling to the present airport itself is a nightmare specially if one is passing through the MG road and close by.

thirdly I dont want to go to an airport that is so poorly maintained with the runaways being used by animals also, the recent incident of a dog on the run way. I dont want to go to such an airport.

Everyone know the international airport was being constructed and inspite of that it's the last minute rush to keep HAL open which is nothing but being reactive and not proactive.

Why BIAL must fly- Response to Rakesh

Dear Rakesh, Even if we want to, it is my understanding, that given the limited number of ATC's available, we cannot run two airports now nor can the number of ATC's be created in a short period. Given this situation we can onlt have one airport in the near future. There are many complex operational and technical issues to be resolved before two airports can be made operational at the same time. Besides this there is an agreement signed between the parties, governmental assurances and credibility of the country at stake. As regards to capacity, the current airport is stretched. Hopefully BIAL has better capacity compared to HAL. One thing is for sure that the supporting infrastructure is much better. The HAL airport land is owned by them and it is not easy to convert it into shopping malls etc. All of us can step in if we sense such a move. I reiterate again that the best option under the present circumstances is to allow BIAL to start operations while keeping HAL as an operational airport for air traffic other than commercial flights. If BIAL does not demonstrate the ability to meet the projected increased demand then they can be forced in public interest to renegotiate the contract. This will also find favour in a court of law.
Rakesh KR's picture

News report on problems with BIAL..

Bangalore international airport: New problems in the air
Tuesday May 20 2008 12:36 IST

Monica Jha

BANGALORE: After traffic hold-ups on City roads, Bangaloreans will very soon get used to traffic jams in the skies after the new airport commences operations. And these hold-ups can be 30 to 45 minutes long, especially between morning and evening hours like 8.30 am to 10.30 am and 5.30 pm to 8.30 pm.

Bengaluru International Airport (BIA) has around 40 per cent of Bangalore airspace but cannot use many parts of its neighbouring airspace as they belong to the Yelahanka base of Indian Air Force and the HAL Airport. (Refer map.) Only the airspace towards its north is effectively available to BIA without any restrictions.

All aircraft departing from BIA cannot take a left or right turn towards its destination without ascending 7,000 feet above the mean sea level (AMSL). Traffic arriving at BIA from south (Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram etc) can cross Bangalore only at a height of 12,000 feet.

Traffic from Mumbai can descend below 20,000 feet only within 30 nautical miles (NM) of BIA. (Map) BIA runway is only 4 NM away (North) from the runway at IAF Yelahanka base and 10 NM (North) from the runway at HAL Airport.

These distances might not cause immediate safety concerns but will certainly result in huge air congestion and delay in flight landing and departure.

According to Director General of Civil Aviation, safe distance between two aircraft is 1,000 feet (vertical) 5 NM (horizontal) near an airport.

m monica@epmltd.com

Link at

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE120080520021510&Page=1&Title=Bangalore&Topic=0&

Rakesh.

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum