Skip to Content

To Ease Traffic Flow to BIAL

132, Palace Cross Road,

Bangalore – 560020. Phone : 23440341

Email : jain@vsnl.com

Subject : Fresh Obstructions on NH 7 to the New International Airport

The government has tried to do a wonderful job to connect Rajbhawan to BIAL, by removing signal lights from Cauvery junction, BDA junction and now near Anandnagar, CBI Junction & Cunningham Road junction, using the debate-able Magic Box technology. To further smoothen the flow of traffic, the road along the Golf Course, Hebbal etc has been widened.

However it is sad that new and fresh signal lights have emerged very recently at locations just before Jakkur Air strip, Byatrayanpura, and near Kodigehalli. These three signal lights have slowed the journey tremendously to and from BIAL. Already, traffic collected does not clear in one signal cycle. Right now the traffic flow of BIAL is least. It is going to only grow and so will the problem at these signal lights. Plus the huge speed breakers, installed before the signal lights can into existence, further slows traffic flow. Only here in world can one see both speed breakers and signal lights, as if designed deliberately in vengeance against road users. At least these need to be removed urgently.

So much has been done to get smooth flow of traffic from Rajbhavan to BIAL on NH 7. A lot of tax-payers money has been spent, hundreds of lovely great trees have been brought down everywhere especially near Golf course & short term solutions of magic boxes is implemented. But the newly installed signal lights between Hebbal flyover and Yelahanka have rendered all these efforts and expenditure futile. The main road/highway to BIAL must be made without any breaks in the median/road divider. Thus, no right- turns or u-turns from or into NH 7 or BIAL road.

For pedestrians, good quality overhead crossing bridges need to be provided.

Yes, there is a true problem at hand for which signal lights had to be installed. The right turns into the BIAL highway/NH 7; and right turns from BIAL road/NH 7 have to be provided for Jakkur, Byatrayanpura, Yelahanka, Sahkarnagar & Kodigehalli users. Without these signal lights, those citizens will be helpless.

The simple solution to this problem is to construct flyovers specifically for U turns. Such U-turn flyovers start from one of the service roads, go up a ramp, gain the height, turn and simultaneously cross the highway; and land on the other side service road after completing shape of ‘U’. One such pair can be installed before Kodigehalli and after Jakkur/VidyaShilp School. This way, any traffic that needs to turn right on NH 7, must first travel along the highway in the direction of their entry into NH 7, use the flyover providing U-turn, land again on NH 7 in the changed direction.

The advantages of such fly-overs meant for u-turns are :

1. They can be installed without any major effect on the current traffic to and form BIAL on NH 7.
  2. The construction of the pillars for such flyovers will not affect the flow of traffic to and from BIAL on NH 7. Only one pillar ( for each such flyover ) will be situated in the centre of the road divider. The other two pillars will be located in the gap between main highway and the service road. Other sections can be pre-cast elsewhere and only placed into position once pillars are cured and ready to bear the load..
  3. These flyovers for U turns can be just double carriage way coz these will not have too heavy traffic – as compared to BIAL road.
  4. If the authorities foolishly think of elevating the entire NH 7 highway over all these areas, then it will seriously obstruct BIAL traffic for more than one year and the cost will be far too high. In that case the entire highway of 6 carriage-ways will have to be raised at a whopping cost and extra ordinarily long time.
  5. Pedestrians overpass to cross NH 7 can also rest on the same pillars. It will reduce cost of a separate pedestrian overpass.
  6. These U-turn flyovers can be seen in many countries, especially in Thailand. These are both effective and cost effective means of solving the problem.
  7. For immediate use, one pair will be enough. One can be installed near the Yelahanka exit just after Jakkur air-strip. The direction of this U-turn fly-over will be coming from city side and turning back towards city. So residents of farther most areas like Kodigehalli, wanting to go towards city side, will travel all the way upto Jakkur, use this flyover and proceed towards city.

1. The other of reverse direction can be near Sahakarnagar/Columbia Asia Hospital with direction of coming from BIAL and taking U-turn over the NH 7, and going back towards BIAL. The residents of farthest areas like Jakkur, wanting to go towards BIAL will travel upto Columbia Asia, use the flyover, and proceed towards BIAL direction.
  2. If just one pair of two such flyovers does not suffice, then another pair can be proposed in between these two farthest points.

This is one proposed solution and more solutions can be thought about, but only from reputed organizations like IISc, IITs or IIMs or from technically qualified ‘independent’ organization. They have personnel with tremendous knowledge, world wide exposure, deep sense of application of practical solutions, and most important, and a serious concern to cut down needless expenditure of tax payer’s money.

Traffic problems can not be solved with short term goals thus can not be solved by suggestions, proposals and advice of most of the beaurocrats or politicians. These problems must be studied, proposed, designed and verified by institutes like IISc, IIMs, IITs or by technically qualified independent organizations. Only then should the tenders be floated and politician introduced into the process. Let the politicians have a piece of the cake called as expenditure of public money. If not, progress will be obstructed by them and needless delays etc will occur. It should not happen at the cost of poor planning, inefficient designing, technologically unsound proposals and interfered implementation of any road traffic problem faced by the common man and honest tax payers.

Thanking you,

Yours truly,

Manoj Jain

bangalore-guy's picture

bial traffic and jammed junctions

Manoj,

These junctions that you have mentioned didnt crop up one fine day, they were very much there and I had some time back posted this (http://bangalore.praja.in...) to highlight what might happen when the BIAL starts operation.

There have been some news of flyovers been planned at these junctions. But we dont have any concrete info. Your idea of elevated U turns sound quite good. Just that they will also take away space on the service roads. 

http://clean-and-green.bl...

Naveen's picture

Obstacles on the Road to BIAL

Hi All,

As I stated in an earlier post ---

The areas that pose problems & chaos are Kodigehalli-Sahakarnagar, Byatarayanpura, Yelahanka (two points at entry & exit from bypass), Bagalur cross & Kogilu. Sadahalli cross, near ITC & close to the airport is another future chaos point as some air caterers are stationed here & I saw some truck movements from here to airport & vice-versa.

As Photoyogi has also mentioned, pedestrian crossways are few & far between & we see a no. of spots that could do with them. It's quite unsafe for pedestrians as well as for road vehicles.

The overpasses mentioned is an option to smoothen traffic flows, but what is also required is a fast, efficient public service that takes pasengers to the airport without being subject to traffic delays, such as an airport Metro line or BRT or Hi-speed rail. This will also help reduce the traffic on the road.

rs's picture

Kodigehalli et al

I commute to Yelahanka every once in a while and I think at the moment these traffic lights are a good idea. Earlier there was complete chaos as people from Kodigehalli, for example would keep inching in to cross and end up blocking traffic a lot more. There is NOTHING WRONG with traffic lights as long as they function properly. In the rest of the world, the US for example - traffic is much heavier but since it is regulated it flows much better. Here the problem is that since there is no light people trying to cross or turn are never sure if they will ever get a chance and as a result their only way of crossing is by blocking onward traffic by inching in. Of course at Yelahanka since there is a railway crossing as well it is crying for an overpass. But I suppose that wont happen for a while, unless Yeddy comes through.
Nags123's picture

political rallies at palace grounds

Hi,

people need to watch out for  political rallies at palace grounds will create traffic chaos at mekhri circle.

Rgds

Manoj's picture

Kodigehalli & Traffic Lights

Hi RS,

1. Can you please xplain what you mean by saying 'as long as the traffic lights work propoerly'? 

2. I am not against traffic lights. but

a. Govt has decided to make the NH 7 to BIAL a signal free raod. 

b. The load of traffic is too high on this raod now. UIse it once now and you will know the difference. Even one cycle of signal lights cause immense block-up which does not get cleared in one go. So it only keeps accumulating and imaghine the cascading effect !!!!

c. Traffic signals are good in downtown/city-centres where no other means to control traffic.

d. Govt has cut down huge trees all along bellary road and now along the Golf course in order to make traffic flow uninterupted from Rajbhawan to BIAL. Then signal lights at Kodigehalli or any where on the road to BIAL is defeating the purpose.

e. For the kodigehalli users and pedestrians, we must priopose the govt to plan pedestrian underpass ( may be using the migc box technology ) and U-turns over the NH 7 or under the NH 7. This will take care of kodigehalli users and yet achieve to make road to BIAL signal free.

What do you say/suggest/propose??? 

Manoj's picture

Yelahanka Railway level crossing gates

Hi again,

Sorry.

You mentioned if Yeddy comes thru into power, this problem will be solved. Is he from Yelahanka?

What is the connection coz now he is into power. Did he pormise that in his manifest?

Manoj's picture

Traffic lsignals of road to BIAL

Hi Bangalore -guy,

I think you are a bit wrong here.

These signal lights have come into being very very recently.

Earlier, cops used man these crossings, and that too only when needed. But then the need was very rare for Airport had not been opened.

For your cross verification, do check Time of India paper of yesterday - 29th May 2008. It too carries something abvpout these signal lights and their sudden emergence.

I have a weekend place on Doddabalapur Road and my kids go to Vidya Shilp School.

Only giving the backgropund for you to know that i am a very regular user of this raod and did not see the signal lights installed and working until around the time they opened the New airport.

Just For Your Kind Info

Manoj

Manoj's picture

Other means of Transport

You sure are right there. We strongly need Mtero, BRT and Hi speed rails.

Some are the in planning. But it will take ages for the work to complete.

Till then what?

And they are all huge bugdet plans, and surely politicians will prefer them over other low cost solutions.

I am suggesting that let govt plan and put into place beter and faster means of transport besides the raod connection. But let the road connectivtiy be improved by giving a signal free non-stop access to the NEw airport.

What do you say?

rs's picture

Hi Well, my point was that

Hi Well, my point was that the Kodigehalli crossing of course needs an overpass - that is, the main road should go up and the small road below. Something like the BDA junction thing may work. But these things dont happen overnight - in spite of what the BBMP may have initially claimed. So having traffic lights is an important interim solution as opposed to the earlier situation where vehicles and people trying to get on the main road would slowly inch forward to block the road in an attempt to cross and cause a jam as the oncoming traffic usually does not think that they should stop for any reason. Of course since they just built this road these sort of things should have been anticipated, but perhaps its too much to expect foresight from the BBMP. My comment about Yeddy was sort of sarcastic. But at least now there is party in power with a sufficient majority they might be able to implement some of the numerous suggestions that have been made to make Bangalore liveable once more. What I find sad is that the BBMP thinks the solutions to all problems lies in cutting trees. In many instances it is not necessary. And what is also sad is the half measures by which they implement things - and then claim they fail. For example, they have fenced large parts of Bellary road on both sides to prevent pedestrians from crossing. But not all - so there are a lot of gaps at which pedestrians cross. Instead, they should fence the middle so pedestrians cannot cross AND make provisions at numerous points for pedestrians to cross. One cannot implement solutions that work elsewhere in India as the number of pedestrians are far greater. Another place where they need to make a provision for pedestrians is Hebbal flyover. There is no place where people can cross so even young children end up walking in on the flyover - especially on the part which leads to Tumkur road. Instead, it would have been pretty simple to put in a bridge for pedestrians to use. I dont understand what this obsession with signal free is anyway. The airport is not the most important thing in the city.
bangalore-guy's picture

manoj : kodegehalli

I never said the signals were there earlier, I just said that the junctions were there :

These junctions that you have mentioned didnt crop up one fine day, they were very much there and I had some time back posted this (http://bangalore.praja.in/bangalore/discuss/2008/05/signal-free-junction...) to highlight what might happen when the BIAL starts operation.

Signal lights have come now (a week or so back) because as you rightly said there was no need earlier. But these junctions (the kodigehalli junction) were very messy even earlier.

PS: I stay very near to this place, and pass this junction atleast a couple of times daily.

Photoyogi's picture

Kodigehalli crossing - NHAI flyover

Dear rs I had asked the BBMP officials on this matter I was told that the Section beyond hebbal flyover comes under the NHAI and they have planned a fancy flyover. The tenders for the same are out. He did not want to commit on how long it would take. I do hope this whole thing is done quickly.
Can any one update on who to ask questions on NHAI related projects.
rs Feel free to contribute a suitable traffic flow map at the junction with appropriate pedestrian crossings.--(if you need help mail me via the contact form)
Hopefully it will be in sync with what NHAI has in mind.
-- Praveen Sundaram AkA PhotoYogi

-- PhotoYogi

bangalore-guy's picture

yogi : info from NHAI website

http://www.nhai.org/cvc.htm (See the bottom of the page, row 10)

10. --

Preparation of Feasibility cum PPR including Technical Schedules on DBFO Pattern for construction of flyovers/ over bridges and continuity of Service road for the stretch from Km 524 to Km 556 (Devanahalli to Hebbal) of Hyderabad-Bangalore Section of NH-7 in the State of Karnataka

Nomination Basis

-

-

-

-

-

Nomination Basis Nomination Basis - M/s ICT (Consultant) Rs. 39.84 Lakhs 22.10.2007 -

s_yajaman's picture

Traffic light logic can improve on NH7

One of the things that I have observed as far as Bangalore traffic lights go is that the light turns green for left, right and straight all at the same time and for the same duration.

Given that the majority (unless I am grossly wrong) of traffic heads N-S on NH7, they need to change the traffic light logic to for NS at least.

Both North and South traffic get green at the same time for straight.  After 30 sec or so, lights turn red and then both get right turns.  FOr the EW, right gets more time (to get onto NH7 and straight gets less time.  This will also encourage people to remain in the correct lanes at the lights. 

Srivathsa

Drive safe.  It is not just the car maker which can recall its product.

sirahattimohanrao's picture

speed breakers

it is nothing but stupity to have speed breakers on the ring roads and national highways.  there is no logic to have speedbreaker just before the signal. whoever is doing this should put speed breakers to the side approach roads to avoid any accidents. 

IF U CANT FIND HAPPINESS ENROUTE , YOU WILL NEVER FIND AT THE END

IF U CANT FIND HAPPINESS ENROUTE , YOU WILL NEVER FIND AT THE END

ssheragu's picture

this is in response to

this is in response to Srihattimohanrao & s_yajaman

while it is true that speed breakers are not at all required on road to BIAL or for that matter any arterial road, it is equally true that there should not be any signal lights also

with so much land being acquired on both side of the road, it will be prudent to construct flyovers & underpasse for to  & fro traffic & for traffic turning right or left.

a smooth road to BIAL (at least from Hebbal) without any speed breakers & traffic lights can very well be planned.

i request praja admin to form a Work Group for this and I will very much like to be a member so that I can help in the planning of A SGNAL FREE & SPEED BREAKER FREE ROUTE TO BIAL

Srinath Heragu

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum