Skip to Content

HAL airport must stay: High Court

HAL Airport must remain says High Court:
Sourced from IBN-LIVE (click here for the story).
kbsyed61's picture

Is it a HAL vs BIAL competition?

Mr. Devesh,

Let me make a disclaimer. I am not an aviation expert. 

It is nice to see your postings with such a vast experience in aviation sector and mind boggling numbers w.r.t BIAL. 

It is important to know the nitty gritty details of important projects like BIAL. I am sure your postings on Praja and elsewhere is not going unnoticed. I am sure the various shortcomings (you might called as intentional blunders) that you have pointed out would one day gets addressed.

I am not in total agreement with you w.r.t your astute opposition to BIAL, its location, its partners, its proposed facilities, its capacity and its management.

Since you have such a vast experience with airports and airline segment could you pls enlighten us with a comparison of HAL and BIAL in terms of:

1. Location

2. Terminal ( area wise)

3. Passenger amenities including medical help

4. Runway, its capacity, Apron, Parking Bays facilities etc.

5. Ticketing/Checkin facilities

6. ATC facilities

7. Departure lounges and its facilities

8. Arrival lounges and facilities.

9. Baggage handling

10. Administration and facility maintenance

11. Emergency response readiness and equipment

12. Parking

13. Public transport to the airport

14. Customer Services at the airport 

kbsyed61's picture

Devenahalli not a good choice?

Mr. Devesh, 

Please do not take this as personal. It is not.

I am bit puzzled after Going thru your postings on Praja.

1. Devanahalli Vs Bidadi. Your preference seems to be Bidadi.

Any place chosen for BIAL would have been a political one. Isn't it? I will bet, any place chosen for project like airports would have been a goldmine for politicians, bureaucrats, land sharks, mafias and adjacent land owners. If not what was Gowdas love for Bidadi? Is no one would have benefited from the real estate if the BIAL was at Bidadi?

2. North-South discussion.

Can anyone of us think or even imagine that places like airports would be equidistance from all corners of the city and it will be smooth ride for all. Mr. Devesh lets talk practically. Even today can you point me to a public transport service that I can rely on to reach HAL airport from all corners of the city.

santsub's picture

BIAL Opening dates may get pushed again

BIALs Opening dates are likely to get postponed again... After Mr Patel meets BIAL and GoK ( I presume Mr Thakur) will decide on the May 11th opening date...

More report...

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2008/04/23/stories/2008042350900700.htm

Mithun's picture

retaining air cargo business

Devesh, through out this thread you have been mentioning about cargo business. From what you say, it looks like cargo business is a very profitable business for the city and surrounding industries. It would have been happening at the HAL airport till now I believe. You alo mentioned that this business is being lost to competing airports like Chennai & hyderabad - due to many reasons. If the HAL airport is continued, will Bangalore city be able to atleast retain ALL the cargo business happening now? (increasing if possible) Long time back, i remember reading in the newspapers that BIAL had plans to make bangalore a major cargo hub in South India. Dont know what happened to the plans.
narayan82's picture

at this rate we are never

at this rate we are never going to have a new airport...its just going to get pushed everytime!
Narayan Gopalan
User Interaction Designer
Bangalore
tsubba's picture

opening

lets wait for the DGCA. it might just be a could it will it kind of report.
yuvaraj65's picture

yelahanka air force base

hello all folks and blrsri,

The air force units you mentioned, ASTE, Test  pilot School and flight test squadron are not at Yelahanka, but at HAL Airport Sir!!!!

Yelahanka does not have any fighter flying at all.

The above mentioned institutions are right in HAL airport and have alot of flying from the HAL airport.

With regard to Aero India show, it will be a no show at all, when BIAL becomes operational. The flying display area is right over devanahalli. I do not think AAI controllers at BIAL will be able to handle this. If at all it happens, the the Airspace over Devanahalli will have to be closed at least for 3 hours per day during the air show, that means closing the BIAL airport for this duration, which I dont think the BIAL management would agree to. So Aero India show is out of Bangalore forever.

Regarding, Air show at HAL: it is not possible because of proximity to the city and built up areas around the airport. I agree with Devesh that nobody would want any low flying fighters over their houses, carrying out Aerobatics.

As somebody was pointing out, let BIAL operate for one month and if there is a problem with delays for landing, holding for arrival, then the deal could be renegotiated.

I still expect problems with ATC at BIAL.

Yuvaraj65

navshot's picture

HAL v/s BIAL: my conclusions

Here are my personal observations after looking at responses (or lack of it! Read my earlier posting given at the end which has unanswered questions in it):

1. If at all, its the runway capacity issue that BIA has. Cargo infra. could be another.

2. Connectivity/distance is not the real issue.

3. If HAL stays, it complements BIA and not compete. Even if it competes, it competes for airlines and not for passengers.

4.  There seems to be a hurry to decide to retain HAL. That too, the whole argument started only at the 11th hour.

These lead me to conclude the following:

A. Looking at the tearing hurry and keeping in mind that the whole debate to keep HAL started at 11th hour, there is reason for us to feel fishy. I'm not an expert, but using whatever common sense I have, a one year lead time to bring back HAL into life looks unreasonable. If that is true, that itself partly shows capabilities of HAL.

B. The common man will not gain if HAL is kept open. Infact, there is a chance he'll lose choice to use better services. If you argue that HAL would be cheaper and hence better for common man - consider this: one of the options is to charge the end user a fee at HAL to compensate BIA. Or, since the airlines would have to bid for slots in HAL, generally the price of tickets would be higher, which in turn results in common man having to spend more. This may ultimately result in net costs being same between HAL/BIA. Hence, common man does not gain and might lose.

C. The whole approach to solving problems is concerning. I'm sure we all accept that general approach is: we start with issues, then look for options and then chose the best option. But over here, we are looking at one of the options and citing issues that this option takes care.

D. It is a section of the industry and a handful of airlines which stand to benefit if HAL is kept open. This leads to think that "Keep HAL" lobby is strongly influenced by these.

It might be the right decision to keep HAL ultimately and it might be good to keep the industry happy at the cost of someone else. I'm not talking right or wrong of the final decisions here.

Please note that I'm not making any allegations. I'm no expert. I might be wrong. But given the current arguments, I think I can reasonably say I've not yet been proven wrong.

==========BEGIN (EARLIER POST)================

HAL & BIAL: Why hurry?

Devesh,
Thanks for taking your time to share your views in detail. That really helps.

However, I see there are two completely orthogonal vectors of your argument:

1. Runway capacity: You say runway capacity would be reached on day 1 at BIA, hence HAL should be retained.

2. Competition: On the other hand, You say you want competition and hence HAL should be there.

Now, which one is it? Both? If so, to mitigate runway capacity, HAL has to complement BIA (and not compete), which contradicts point 2.

So is it compete or complement? I'm a bit confused. Earlier I used to read that those who wanted HAL wanted it to complement BIA. Now, if it has to compete in true sense, then it should compete for the following (leaving the connectivity, as its agreed that its not a real issue):

1. International flights
2. Domestic long hawl
3. Domestic short hawl
4. Services to airlines/end users

As s_yajaman rightly pointed out, there won't be true competition from end-user stand point. There would not be real choices to the end user. Given the destination, time of travel and airline, the airport for end-user is fixed. There won't be a situation where a flight starts from HAL and stops over at BIA. So, in effect, there is no real choice for end user. On the other hand, the two airports would have to compete for the airlines. There you go, it could be that the airlines which stand to benefit and not the end user.

This means, its only the real runway capacity that should dictate, if at all, if HAL has to be retained.

Now, lets look at it objectively. Here, we have a problem. Runway capacity at BIA. Lets keep that as the primary issue. Retaining/re-opening HAL is only one of the solutions. While, its good to suggest a solution, its better to have options. What if state/cetre/AAI doesn't want to keep HAL open? What if SC strikes down to keep HAL open? What are the options? I'm sure there are other options. Having only Plan A is not good. We need to have Plan A, Plan B and if possible Plan C. We should see from that angle and not just push HAL. Having HAL as an option to solve a real issue is one thing and pushing HAL citing issues is totally different thing.

Lastly, I guess we all agree that agrument to retain HAL has come at the 11th hour. Lets not hurry. Ultimately running HAL could be the right solution, based on whatever technical details. But it need not be rushed into. What's the hurry? Lets analyze in detail, argue and aim for a more permanent solution. It could mean that HAL would be out of service for a few months. So what? Why are we thinking that its now or never? If, based on technical aspects, it is decided that BIA can't handle that much of traffic, the system (including law) should and will take care of that. Lets have faith in our system.

On the other hand, if we want to hurry into deciding to keep/close HAL now, it gives a feeling that there is a vested interest/political inclination to it, given that elections are round the corner.

==========END===============

-- navshot
Rakesh KR's picture

HAL Should continue.

I agree with Mr.Devesh on his views about HAL continuing commercial operations. I do have following suggestions on how HAL and BIAL can work together profitably.

All the major airlines in India are either having or planning low cost subsidiary airlines, example: Jet and Jetlite, Kingfisher and Deccan etc. Foreign countries also have similar ones like Singapore airlines and Silk air, both based in Singapore, Cathay pacific and Dragon air, both based in HongKong etc. 

HAL airport may be targeted to handle the LCCs of Indian and Foreign countries like airindia express, jetlite, silk air  etc.  Thus LCC domestic and international airlines continue using the airport.

Whereas major airlines like Singapore airlines, airindia , Jet airways, Lufthansa, malaysian air etc. may move to BIAL as planned. Transit passengers through Bangalore should be allowed only through BIAL and not HAL. 

Such a segregation makes sense thereby full fledged airlines utilising the better terminals and other infrstructure of BIAL whereas no-frill low cost airlines using the HAL airport with limited terminal infrastructure.

Rakesh.
narayan82's picture

Rakesh

I dont agree with your idea of seperation of airlines. Only Kingfisher and Jet have low cost carriers, the rest have no intentions of having LCC and full service airlines (Indigo, Spicejet and GoAir). Air india too is not doing well with Aliance Air/Regional. Secondly LCC's have a lot of passengers per plan, as they dont have business class/add more seats. If you allow all LCCs to ply at HAL, it will lead to congestion. The immigration and customs infrastructure is pathetic at HAL, making it a very unimpressive impression of Bangalore. And international flights are a lot of revenue which BIAL would want after thier investment. Secondly, LCC's have to invest twice for the same city for Ground Handling - are they willing to do so?
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Rakesh KR's picture

LCCs at HAL airport

Narayan82,

Travelling by LCCs itself is like a KSRTC bus with minimal comforts due to lower fares. Hence, such air passengers maynot be expecting state of art immigration facilities, swanky terminals and so forth. HAL airport fits the bill for LCC passengers.

Airlines in India who donot have lowcost subsidiaries may operate from BIAL till they come up with a LCC subsidiary and then operate from HAL airport.  For those having LCCs like air india (air india express), jet air(jetlite) etc. , the full service airline counters may be in BIAL and LCC subsidiary airline counters in HAL airport. No transit passengers may be allowed through HAL airport by whatsoever airline but only through BIAL.

Revenue sharing arrangements between HAL and BIAL may be worked out at the meeting called for by Government next week while  renegotiating the concession agreement.

Rakesh.

Rakesh.
Devesh's picture

BIAL running HAL terminal

If BIAL agrees, and then AAI, and HAL agrees, sure why not.

However I am giving to understand, "persuasion" has been done at seriously high levels, so we Bangaloreans will get taken for a ride with an exclusive BIAL, no matter the soundness of our suggestions.

With regards to MSIL, you are forgetting the JWG terminal which is on the other side of the airport.

I am not on a fault finding mission, but a solution finding mission. I think all of us at Praja should contribute to suggestions, however, we need to see the macro picture when making suggestions.

Just for example, cargo connectivity gets affected by another restriction that is in place for our benefit. No trucks in peak hours. Most exporters prepare their cargo in the morning, and send out to the airport so that customs and security formalities are completed before airlines close their offices at 6pm, and the cargo gets loaded on the night flight. Why else pay air cargo premiums. These trucks then load up imported cargo in the evening that have been cleared through the day, and bring back to customers so that the goods get put in to production, or ready for sale the next morning.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://deveshagarwal.blog...

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
santsub's picture

Gear up BIAL to meet all expectations

The only bottom line solution is to gear up BIAL to meet all expectations... I guess Mr Patel is meeting stakeholders again on 29th to decide the fate of Bangalore Airport... hope he is reading this blog too....

Maybe some one who knows Mr Patels Email ID can forward this blog for him to read.

Devesh's picture

A consolidated reply on my stand on BIAL

Dear All

I am going to try and post one reply that addresses the many posts raised.

BIAL is definitely a superior airport to HAL there is no doubt about it. But by no measure is it a "world class" airport.

I am most definitely not against BIAL. I welcome BIAL. However, given the initial capacity constraints at BIAL, and keeping in mind the ridiculously high rate of growth at Bangalore, I am for keeping HAL airport open in addition to BIAL.

Airports in the 20th and 21st century are what railway stations were in the 19th and early 20th century. Major hubs and economic drivers. For too long I have seen Bangalore, its residents and its commerce, suffer due to the lack of capacity at the airport. Now is the time to address the problem. For first time, we have the opportunity to be ahead of the demand curve instead of always playing catch-up.

For those people who say that this is a 11th hour approach, I beg to differ. Industry Chambers have been monitoring the aviation scenario in Bangalore since 2004, before BIAL construction even began.

All along we have persuaded AAI and HAL to invest in HAL airport, despite expecting HAL airport to close. While at the same time, highlighting capacity constraints to MoCA, and pushing them to force BIAL to expand. BIAL did not expand of its own volition.

Just for information, out of the Rs. 2500 Cr investment by BIAL consortium, only about 400 Cr was additional investment to increase capacity, since it was just adding another terminal module. The main investment is in runways and other facilities,

It was only in early 2007, we have observed that actual air traffic will outstrip the capacity of the single runway at BIAL, and this caused us to start discussions and brought this topic to the forefront. Of course the complete lack of progress on the connectivity front just added fuel to the whole fire of urgency.

I am happy to publically admit that all predictions I made about air traffic in Bangalore, since 2004, have been exceeded by actual performance. It is a reflection of suppressed demand and the economic growth of our city. The economic boom all over India has created unanticipated demand, which was just not planned for. Instead of taking a cooperative approach to address the problem, we find BIAL wanting the whole pie, even if cannot cater to it.

Public action was initiated only after more than 6 months of effort at rapproachment. Just Google my name Devesh Agarwal along with the word BIAL and airport, and see how far back, I have raised concerns on airport capacity.

I am not concerned about the terminal, since it people are far more flexible, and I know BIAL can add terminal capacity relatively quickly, if it truly desires.

I have done comparisons with other international airports, including a small airport on the island of Penang. This 5 million passenger airport is not big, but I am willing to bet everyone on Praja, that their computer has at least one IC chip in their computer made in the Bayan Lepas area just adjacent to their airport. Check this story. It explains how Bangalore has been duped of its freedoms in the interest of BIAL. Of course the dupers included our Government. http://deveshagarwal.blog...

There are some stories on my blog, I urge all interested Praja visitors to visit and read. I will welcome your comments on my blog. Of course feel free to Digg, Newsvine, Technorati it.

http://deveshagarwal.blog...

There are other stories as well. Please take the time to read all of them. Feel free to comment on the stories on my blog. As long as there is no offensive language, I will post it. I do not practise censorship.

I have discussed possible scenarios about how to divide up the pie between BIAL and HAL. The market driven approach is the most fair. The only reason for this approach is to compensate BIAL as a peace offering. Yes, it will make air travel even ex-HAL more expensive, but I do believe it will be less than the Rs. 1500+ additional a passenger will spend for the transport and UDF ex-BIAL.

It is Hobson's Choice. Do we see continued stagnation of air traffic, or go with the shared approach and bring slightly excess capacity to whole of Bangalore, along with a choice.

If BIAL wants to be generous and give up a share of traffic without cost, everyone will be more than happy.

I also believe that AAI Bangalore needs to be given a free hand in upgrading and running the terminal at HAL, or else, get out, and give the operations to some one else, even BIAL.

After travelling from Delhi, Chennai, and Hyderabad, I do not find HAL terminal any worse, with the possible exeption of overcrowding. However, these are issues, also not caused by either HAL and AAI, but by CISF and Customs, by lack of people and XRay machines at security. Yes, Customs is to provide the XRay machine at international incoming baggage.

These are issues that will plague BIAL as well. Terminal beauty is only skin deep.

As a closure, I invite all Praja visitors to read my story http://deveshagarwal.blog.... I am concerned to the point of conviction that the "re-negotiation" as per the direction of the Honourable Court, scheduled for next week, will not be sincere.

There are links in my story to certain Parliamentarians. Praja visitors have the chance to act. Let us put our actions where our keyboard fingers are. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
tsubba's picture

aeroshow

devesh and yuvaraj thanks for the inputs. so what can be done about the aeroshow how to go about retaining it?
narayan82's picture

Rakesh,

My point was, that if we allow all LCC's to fly to HAL, we will end overiding the capacity of HAL, which is why we built a new on in the first place!
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Devesh's picture

Aero India 2009 ?

Hi TS

Aero India 2009 onwards will be a major concern. Other than writing on Praja, I think it is imperative to do this at a grassroots level. Let us write to Mr. Sitaram Yechury who is Chairman of the Parliamentary Transport Committee, and say, we welcome BIAL, but we want Yelahanka AFB and Aero India to be kept as it is, along with the air displays.

Contact details of Mr. Yechury and Mr. Rajeev Chandrashekar are in my article http://deveshagarwal.blog.... While you are at it, may be Praja visitors can also ask the committee to monitor the re-negotiations.

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Mithun's picture

Devesh

Hi Devesh, Could you please take a look at my query regarding air cargo business? It would be great to know what you think about it. (kept your name in the subject line to catch ur attention) Some related news reports for reference: Back in 2006 --> http://www.blonnet.com/20... now in 2008 --> http://www.hindu.com/2008...
Devesh's picture

Air Cargo Business - response for Mithun

Hi Mithun

Sorry, I missed out. Actually today has been very hectic. I had read your post, and was about to reply when my father called and informed me that my mother got hit by a Motorcyclist while crossing the road. Both people thought they could cross the other before reaching each other and the calculations did not work out. For a 69 year old she is quite spry but still managed to fracture her 7th and 8th rib. So she is out for the count, for the next 2 weeks.

With regards to air cargo. I have written about this in my blog. http://deveshagarwal.blog... and http://deveshagarwal.blog....

We forget the importance of air cargo. There is a joke in the air cargo fraternity. If the morning flights to Delhi and Mumbai get delayed, the bride will not have a garland to marry her groom with that evening. If airlines can help it, they will just carry flowers and no passengers on their morning flights to these cities. So much is the demand. 

BIAL officials including CEO Mr. Albert Brunner have publically admitted that they have plain forgotten about cargo. As you may be aware, BIAL, is just a gigantic outsourcing operation. The actual BIAL consortium is really responsible for very little. Everything is outsourced.

Same with cargo. BIAL thought their responsibility ended by contracting two warehouses to Menzies-Bobba, and Air India-SATS. These two warehouses provided cargo handling for the airlines, not for the public. i.e. their job is to get the cargo on and off the plane. Out of these two, only Bobba warehouse is ready, but their warehouse does not live up to the original claims of BIAL. They do not have multi-temperature warehouses i.e. frozen (-20 Deg C), chiller (0-4 Deg C), cold (10-15 Deg C). Space is also a concern. BIAL completely forgot about Customs, Air Cargo agents, and Customs House Agents, and their offices and warehouses.

In my perils article, I have compared Singapore's Changi and Penang Malaysia airports to BIAL. Both these airports are very different in size, but common in their approach and dedication to cargo. 

Obviously there was a rebellion. Customs was pacified by giving them accomodation within the agents' warehouses. However, it was done at such a late stage that initially Customs was not able to commission their EDI system in time. So an "temporary" plan was hatched where the paper work would be filed at HAL airports, but the inspection and clearance would be done at BIAL. You can imagine the running around that would need to be done, and the opportunities for abuse it opens up.

However, there was no space for cargo and customs agents. Cargo agents collect cargo from the public, consolidate and palletize and deliver it to the cargo warehouses of Bobba or AI-SATS. For this they need warehouse space and office space. Similarly Customs agents have to interface with customs for bill filing, inspection, duty payment and clearance, and they need offices.

In case of HAL airport there was land around the airport, and offices and warehouses were created. However, in case of BIAL the nearest land is over 7km away from the cargo terminal, and of course there is no construction. BIAL has had discussions and facing a complete walk out, they have made temporary arrangements, and will construct a cargo village in 18 months.

Here I must admit, anything BIAL or its contractors build will be better than MSIL and JWG warehouses. For too long Bangalore industry has suffered at the hands of these two.

However, it is still not the world class facility it can be. BIAL has this golden opportunity to create a proper cargo hub, and steal away high value business from Mumbai and Delhi, especially in the foods, medical, flowers, and chemicals, but this requires proper cold facilities, and a highly reactive Customs authority.

I think, this will make a good article for my blog. :)

As Edward Murrow put it -- "GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK" 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Mithun's picture

good information

Thanks for the reply, Devesh. It cleared many points. We wish a speedy recovery for your mother.
kbsyed61's picture

Strikes by AAI Employees !

Mr. Devesh,

Sorry to hear about your mother's accident. We wish her a speedy recovery.

I am sure everybody on Praja agrees that a consensus would be reached on keeping HAL open in coming months if not in weeks.

The very thought of airports run by AAI reminds me about air traffic paralyzed by striking employees of AAI. Since our most airports are run by AAI, the passengers and government gets hijacked by these strikes. The whole air travel gets affected.

What's your take on this? Any suggestions that would keep these employees not resort to strikes?

Is any study done on how much revenue is lost each year due to strikes by AAI employees?

Regards,

Syed

Mithun's picture

declare strikes as illegal

Govt should always honestly try to understand the real problem. But for having a policy, we can take an option from USA and modify it to our needs. Here is Wikipedia extract giving details about such strikes in USA: link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_action#In_the_USA

In the USA-

The Railway Labor Act bans strikes by United States airline and railroad employees except in narrowly defined circumstances. The National Labor Relations Act generally permits strikes, but provides a mechanism to enjoin strikes in industries in which a strike would create a national emergency. The federal government most recently invoked these statutory provisions to obtain an injunction against a slowdown by the International Longshore and Warehouse Union in 2002. Some jurisdictions prohibit all strikes by public employees (under such laws as the "Taylor Law" in New York). Other jurisdictions limit strikes only by certain categories of workers, particularly those regarded as critical to society: police and firefighters are among the groups commonly barred from striking in these jurisdictions. Some states, such as Michigan, Iowa or Florida, do not allow teachers in public schools to strike. Workers have sometimes circumvented these restrictions by falsely claiming inability to work due to illness — this is sometimes called a "sickout" or "blue flu." The term "red flu" has sometimes been used to describe this action when undertaken by firefighters. It is also illegal for an employee of the United States Federal Government to strike. Prospective federal employees must sign standard form 61, an affidavit not to strike. Postal workers involved in 1978 wildcat strikes in Jersey City and Kearny, NJ, San Francisco, and Washington D.C. were fired under the presidency of Jimmy Carter and President Ronald Reagan terminated air traffic controllers after their refusal to return to work from an illegal strike in 1981.

Election blues for BIAL?

Business Line thinks so:

http://www.thehindubusine...

"Officials from private airlines also maintain that the airport is unlikely to be inaugurated till a new government is in place in the State, which is expected by May-end. Ministry of Civil Aviation officials, however, caution that it was premature to say just yet that the airport opening has been pushed back from May 11, the date proposed by the promoters."

Airport parleys on April 29th

http://sify.com/finance/f...

"To be chaired by Union civil aviation minister Praful Patel, this meeting has been called after the high court asked all stakeholders - the Centre, Airports Authority of India, Karnataka Government and BIAL - to sit down and discuss the twin issues of keeping the old HAL airport open and levy of user development fee."

Rakesh KR's picture

narayan82

LCC passengers close to 3 million in BLR, I guess. Official capacity of HAL airport seems close to 4 million but everybody knows it is handling now more than 10 million pax. Devesh or somebody can correct me if Iam wrong.

So how do you say that HAL capacity getting limited with LCCs?

Rakesh.

Rakesh.
Rakesh KR's picture

Let BIAL accept HAL airport

I think it is high time BIAL accept the fact that HAL airport continuing operations is beneficial to public. BIAL also benefits as it doesnot have a second runway presently and can always think of HAL airport as alternate runway in case of emergencies.

BIAL, AAI, Government should positively sit together next week and renegotiate the concession agreement( as per court) considering public in mind. For heaven sake, this meeting shouldnot be another drama and waste of time.

BIAL may ask for a reasonable compensation for allowing HAL airport to continue by means of obtaining additional foreign airlines landing rights to BIAL or similar other grants from the Government instead of thinking of levying additional fees on passengers using HAL airport. I request BIAL to focus also on getting public goodwill in addition to meeting their financial targets.

Rakesh.

Rakesh.
narayan82's picture

LCCs

You see LCC traffic will keep growing, and they will keep adding new qoutes. Each LCC brings in about 189 - 200 pax while a full service carrier brings in about 100 -140 pax. So within months capcaity will be exceeded. Its not only about terminal capacity, its also about the fact that HAL uses to runway for test flights..etc. Again, there will be issues of Noise pollution, safety...etc
Narayan Gopalan
Bangalore
Devesh's picture

Strikes and Election Blues

Thanks to everyone for their kind wishes.

Back on topic, unfortunately in India, our leadership is too populistic. Whether it be promising free colour TV or cable, or rice, or capitulating to unreasonable threats, which includes strikes.

Our leadership, most especially in the South, does not demonstrate the required strength to take on labour when they are wrong.

Please correct me if I am wrong, a few years ago, CM Jayalalithaa terminated a whole bunch of striking employees, and then the courts made her re-instate all of them. Utter nonsense.

Also, the labour laws in India are so skewed in favour of labour, it is not funny. Essentially in India, an employer has the right to hire, and the employee has the right to walk away, but an employer cannot fire some one.  This situation is so skewed, that India looses far more investment because of this, than if we, say, modified a BIAL contract.

Government employees, some times have genuine reasons to go on strike, but a majority of times, it is to protect their own domain. They have got used to the concept of "lifetime employment" regardless of performance. The net result is that the good guys, land up getting frustrated by the bureaucracy, and leave. This results in a further erosion of talent. 

This is the main reason behind rash driving by BMTC drivers. Cops are frightened of the union's political clout, and don't take them on. In Mumbai, BEST drivers went on strike, and the government terminated a lot of them. If you observe the rash of strikes in Bangalore reduced. Nowadays, if there is a BMTC strike, all Bangaloreans pitch in offer rides, autos pitch in, and the strike gets defeated.

The power is ours, we need to exercise it. Let us elect a government that is strong willed and determined to do something. While I may not agree with SM Krishna, I did admire what he did for urban governance in Karnataka. 

Coming to election blues. I strongly urge the BIAL consortium to stick to its guns on opening date and commence operations. Bangalore sorely needs the additional capacity of BIA and also, summer is a lean period to travel in. It will allow time for things to settle and for problems to be addressed and resolved in time for the winter season rush.

This can become a poll. Do you favour opening BIA on May 11th, without fanfare, or delay the launch to accomodate the fanfare ? 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
Rakesh KR's picture

LCCs

Narayan,

As Devesh mentions, BIAL landing slots in peak hours are already going to be full from day 1. So there seems to be no way to accommodate the growing LCC traffic in BIAL either till they come up with additional runways and terminals that may take many more years to complete.

We all know that HAL airport is handling 10+ million pax currently against its rated 3.6 million pax. Mainly terminal area seems the constraint and not runway at HAL airport. So till the LCC growth reaches 10 million pax, HAL airport can handle the traffic as proven now. Definitely by then BIAL may have come up with its second phase or a 3rd airport construction begun.

Rakesh.

Rakesh.
Devesh's picture

Article on Air Cargo

Dear Praja Friends

I have some positive news to report on BIAL. Check the forum http://bangalore.praja.in....

Time to move ahead. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
navshot's picture

HAL Airport: SC declines to interfere

News in today's The Hindu.....

Closure of HAL Airport: SC declines to interfere with HC interim order:

http://www.hindu.com/2008...

-- navshot
Devesh's picture

Supreme Court

Hi NS

Agreed, but the Court also re-inforced the HC directive for the Centre to re-negotiate the contract. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD
kbsyed61's picture

Revenue Loss to Business houses !

Does any body has any solid information with facts on revenue loss to businesses that are directly/indirectly involved with HAL airport?
Devesh's picture

Revenue Loss

Very frankly, I do not believe any one has conducted the study. The focus is not to "protect" the business of A particular business entity or group.

Our concern should be the overall capacity.

Talking about revenue loss, with the UDF being fixed at Rs 675, we are all in for a rough time. 

-----------------------

Regards

Devesh R. Agarwal

Visit my aviation blog at http://aviation.deveshagarwal.com

-----------------------
Regards
Devesh
Bangalore Aviation
Enjoy life, destroy FUD

HAL closure not stayed by HC

http://www.hindu.com/2008/06/11/stories/2008061156170500.htm 

Praja.in comment guidelines

Posting Guidelines apply for comments as well. No foul language, hate mongering or personal attacks. If criticizing third person or an authority, you must be fact based, as constructive as possible, and use gentle words. Avoid going off-topic no matter how nice your comment is. Moderators reserve the right to either edit or simply delete comments that don't meet these guidelines. If you are nice enough to realize you violated the guidelines, please save Moderators some time by editing and fixing yourself. Thanks!

about seo | forum