So it was time to renew my drivers license and most suggestions from folks was 'give it to the local driving school guy, he will do it for a few 100'
But till date I have never spent anything more that what the regular cost for anything related to license and I did not want to do it this time too. So ended up at the Jayanagar RTO(2nd floor of the TTMC) and spend almost half my day, but at the end of it, it was pretty much a smooth process. I would want to mention that even today the Jayanagar RTO provides an apportunity for anyone to get anyting done without touts or paying bribes!
So heres my experience with renewal of my DL today:
- Went on the RTO website http://rto.kar.nic.in/RDL-PROCcss.html
- Downloaded the two forms (renewal application & health declaration) and filled them up and headed to Jayanagar
- Was told to get to Sanjay Gandhi hospital for RMP attestation on the medical test. Doctors in Room 35-42 will do it on the ground floor. Went to room 42 as it had no croud and the doctor there did a simple eye test and filled/signed the form. He asked for a fee and I gave him 50 Rs for the 'services'
- Got back to the RTO and on the steps bought a cloth lined pstal cover with 17 Rs posteal stamp. This costed 25 Rs.
- Went with the paper work to the superintendent(sitting at the left corner of the floor) who verified the papers and asked me to pay 250/-. First I paid 201/- at the cash counter and filled in the chalan details in the form
- Stood in the long queue for a signature from the ARTO, there was a person managing the queue very well shooing the touts away.
- ARTO himeself was doing all antics to present himself as 'Mr Clean'..but he was entertaining touts big time and smartly. However he wasnt delaying the regular queue much. Had to stand for about 45 min there.
- He looked at my papers and said I had not pinned the cover with my original DL into the set of papers and asked me to come again. Went back to the superintendent and got a pin from him and got back to the ARTO
- He signed this time and the joined the queue for the smart card. The line lasted for 30 more min. I had to pay 50/- there as fees. The folks there seemed to be contractors and did a quick job taking my biometrics/signature/picture.
- Got all the papers back to the 'Inward' section next to the superintendent and submitted the papers there and got a receipt
- The renewed smart card is supposed to reach me in 30 days
Besides the forms I had to carry a glue stick, 2 photos, pen and loose change.
So once again it was a no bribe no tout experience at the RTO. I am sure this will be the case for everyone. All that is needed is time and patience.
Request to please try it yourself and suggest to everyone to do it themselves without paying any bribes.
It is very much possible!