[Forked off from this Karnataka and Railways budget thread]
I am kind of disagreement to your one of the stated comment about lobbying for More Railway goodies. I think we need to lobby with different kind of strategy. If the old tricks are employed, may be we may get some KA MP assigned as Union Railway minister. May be we get few more trains etc. But that still may not do justice to Karnataka in totality. Regional imbalances in union budgets are going to continue in same manner unless railways moves away from these piecemeal way of introducing new trains or new lines. This is one of the basic reason for such colossal imbalances and then multiplied by political pulls & pushes making it more worse. Terming this as injustice may not be wrong in some context. Even if you look at the states where it is introduced, it hasn't stimulated any increased economic development in majority cases. What should be an ideal thing to happen is to see a Indian Railways Road Map 2020 or something similar.
How about lobbying with a different kind of ammunition. How about lobbying with some real hard facts, technically feasible plans comprehensively covering the entire state of Karnataka. This spiced up with political backing.
In that context how about we take this up as Praja project and do the following:
- Dig out the process the railway department follows for taking up any new line, new train etc? File RTI?
- Dig out the information on all projects in Karnataka from on paper to being currently under execution? File RTI?
- Compile a list of railway network that exists today in Karnataka.
- Compile a proposed new lines that needs to be added to the existing one? May be with objective of connecting all districts in Karnataka.
- Compile a list of existing trains that are run currently and new trains to connect all dots in Karnataka
- Consolidate all the above data into a Vision Plan 2025 for Railways in Karnataka.
With that ammunition in hand, work with names like NRN, NK, RC etc and other politicians who could pursue this further. We could also work on your suggestion for a signature campaign.
Anybody game for these efforts?